“More like a TWO stars - worst hotel experience ever!!!”
Review of Villa Durrueli

Villa Durrueli
Ranked #4 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We choose this hotel because of the good reviews in tripadvisor
We arrived at 3.45 pm, and were given a room in the 1 floor, very dark but big, we wanted to rest for a while, the room was very hot (27 C outside) so we put the AC, it wasnt working, wifi also not working. I went to the main desk, the girl who was there did not speak english very well, or spanish, so she started talking in italian, which i dont speak, i could understand they would send someone to fix the AC, we waited for around an hour, nobody came, the girl came to check the wifi, and insisted she had a good sígnal in her divice, but neither my husband nor i could get it, so we did some more waiting, and i got tired so went to the main desk to ask if they could change my room, cause the AC was still Off. They say they can, and take my to ese a room in the lower floor, one ground down the street level, it was worst than the other one!! Smaller, more dark, and it didnt have a garden. I was starting to get really mad, because i didnt fel like i was getting what i paid for!! The girls of the front desk where helpfull, altough they didnt speak fluent english, they tired to help, they called the manager. He came, and i told him, that if they could not give me a room with all the amenities, i prefered to go to another hotel. He told me if i went to another hotel, they would charge the TWO nights i made trough booking, because he tought the room was ok. And that i had a no cancellation fee, that the hotel was fully booked. He was very rude and unproffesional. He was not even dressed like a manager, we was in jeans and a casual shirt. He got really nervous, at least he spoke in english. He told me that if i didnt like the hotel i could find something else, but he was still going to charge the TWO nights. I wanted to go, so i insisted they should not charge me, he said if i insisted he would call the police. He went back to his office, and one of the girls in the desk told me that the second night they could change my to another room, i didnt have much option so i stayed. By that time it was 5.30pm!!! I went out, where i came back around 11 pm, i get into the shower, COLD WATER!!! Next morning i ask to have the room changed, they say i have to wait (again!!) half hour. I wait, 45 min later i go to the main desk, the room still wasnt ready. So i tell they to move my lugagge from room to room. When i came back from the city, new room, still NO WIFI!!! They are short of staff. The girls in the main desk are the same that take your lauggage to your room, the so called manager moves the cars around the parking lot... The hotel is dated, not very clean, but the worst is the staff!!! We went to the pool, there was a horrible smell, we had to leave, the sun beds were dirty. When we check out, they try to charge a bottle of water from the mini bar that we didnt take...and they tell my i had to pay for the pool towers 3 euros!!! They did not tell me i had to pay when i asked for them.
The WORST is the manager Filippo!! What a disgusting men! I always get along fine with people, i dont understand how they have a man like that as manager. Worst hotel experience ever!! No wonder the hotel was so cheap, is a cheap place

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank perse47
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear "Lady",

I do not consider appropriate to provide further details regarding your review because usually our hotel is frequented by really Gentleman and highly polite people. Reviews are always welcome, but in this case it is clear, that you wanted to hit me, and this certainly shows a complete lack of your education. I might have to delete the review, but it is fair that the other customers, understand better.

There are newer reviews for Villa Durrueli

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We've just come back from a five night stay here at the Villa - to combat post holiday rose tinted glasses, let's start with the negatives!

To be uber-picky -
the rooms are quite small (as you can see from the pics on various websites);
the choice of options in the spa (unless you're having treatments, which I can't comment on) is fairly limited (there's a large jacuzzi pool inside which is warm, a decent steam room and a couple of very cold mini plunge pools; there were two jacuzzi baths outside near the pool that weren't on when we went so if you're going on holiday to relax in the spa all day, it might not be enough for you);
....um....
the breakfast and lunch options are fine, but not absolutely first class;
...er...
the air con is only OK...
really being picky now...the wi-fi is a little intermittent....

On to the positives!

We got a deal for this hotel so that between the two of us for bed and breakfast we paid just under £260 for five nights (just under £30 a head per night). For this price, it's one of the best bargains we've ever had for a hotel anywhere and we would definitely stay here again. I think a typical price (we stayed 26-30 May) is significantly more as it's high season (and everywhere is a lot more).

We were a bit concerned before coming due to the price being so low. First impressions of Napoli on the bus ride from the airport are not positive, as Napoli is charming and bonkers in its own right but fairly run down in the centre (come out of the airport and turn left taking you past the McDonalds boooo to McDonalds for the bus - 4 euros for the bus to the port DON'T take a taxi where you can be charged up to 25 euros) and although the ferry ride to Ischia (only takes around an hour if you get the right ferry and costs 18 euros a head) is lovely, initial impressions of Ischia Porto aren't marvellous either. Taxi to the hotel is a rip off at 15 euros, but can feel like a necessary evil before getting your bearings (and if you've got an early flight from the UK, you might not want to be bothered with immediate map reading).

Getting dropped off at the hotel, the first impressions are that the staff are incredibly polite, friendly and helpful and you'll get a little tour of the hotel in your preferred language - the friendliness of the staff is certainly 5 star.

Rooms are spotlessly clean with a small balcony - a room on the top floor would give you a lovely view but you'd also be underneath the roof terrace which might be a little noisy.

Drop your bags and head for the decent size pool - certainly enough to get a decent workout if you want it (Helen was doing 80 lengths by the end!) or pleasant to loll around on the loungers provided.

Snacks and drinks are good quality.

Come out of the hotel and turn right and there's a lovely park (it also houses the island's cat sanctuary, which can be a bit sad making if you're a cat lover although much better than sanctuaries elsewhere) turn left and head into the old part of town which is beautiful, with the sea two minutes away and a beach five minutes away, with the beautiful Castello Aragonese 10-15 minutes away).

Special mention must be made of Ristorante da Ciccio, which is on your right hand side of the street just thirty seconds away from the bridge towards the castle) which is absolutely first class (try the pesce bandiera which is to die for).

In other words, you're not more than a ten minute walk from the major attraction in Ischia and the bus station (if you're not feeling suicidal enough to rent a scooter) is right next to the port.

Evening meal at the restaurant at the hotel is absolutely excellent; fantastically attentive staff who brought an alternative first course without us even asking when Helen wasn't keen on hers, and who are sensitive to any dietary restrictions (senza glutine/lievito for without gluten/yeast). There were a lot of Italians in the restaurant which is always a good sign! The roof terrace where you can have evening drinks has a spectacular view over the bay to the castle.

In terms of STUFF TO DO; there's an array of lovely walks to do, and the island is about 10 km by 7 km so you can (and we did) walk the entire width or length in a day. Grab a bus anywhere (Italian bus timetables are the definition of a moveable feast!) A walk up to Monte Eromeo affords beautiful views (unless it's misty); Forio is beautiful to visit; there are excursions to nearby Capri and a day trip to Pompeii/Vesuvius is doable although a bit of a faff. For younger couples (I'm 41, H is....younger) there are a couple of bars that are far more uptempo, but the Italian nightlife is much more centred around eating good fine and drinking fine wine with friends. For older couples, there are plenty of relaxing options and there were families with kids as well when we stayed who seemed happy (and Italians love kids, so you'll get lots of 'oooooo che bello/a if you take the kids).

Blah blah waffle waffle. We loved it here; staff were brilliant; facilities brilliant value (but we were exceptionally lucky with the price); restaurant food is first class (around 70 euros in total for a three course meal); can't fault the location - hope you find this helpful!
David x

9  Thank David1sheffield_UK
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I thanks a lot to sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. Sometimes we offer a very special hot deals for our foreign customers only and you was so lucky to book it just in time. It seems that your holiday has gone very well and it sounds so good!!

I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Form start to finish, great.
Best staff team We have come across. Although dealt face to face with front persons, they are backed up by a great support team, and all need to be praised for making our stay very pleasant.
Rooms kept clean all the time.
Facilities very good and well used by us.
Excellent Position, nice stroll, with many nice cafés etc both ways.
Restaurant rated very high(when asked by local resturant owners where we were staying they were surprised that we were eating out, they rate the chef very high, high accolade from local persons).
Hotel can help with all extras (we hired moped, that was a experience riding it around ischia )
Negombo spa park a must. Staff can organise cheap taxi deal and park entrance.

Nothing to do with hotel, be aware of bag shops selling so called leather bags, most are from china. Don't be sucked in by spiel check them out in depth. "it's to good a deal, it's not real"
Alkazar, left into castle area, and Low in main high street lower town. They will say they were made in Florence or Tuscany area and are italian.

Taxi on ischia good, prices board in port area on boards.
Naples taxi will try to charge €45 to airport, it is official €19 plus 2per bag.

Sites to help you.

Must say one of best holidays my wife and I have done, it is a beautiful place and people very friendly.

Room Tip: Low season superior room overlooking pool, high season front area(less noise I would say) Use the r...
2  Thank damagedron

Dear Guest,

I'm very proud about your great experience and I thank you a lot to sharing your review on Tripadvisor. I really hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is an amazing hotel. We spent a week here mid May 2014. Both my husband and I had an amazing time. Staff were all helpful and Ilaria on Reception is superb. It was my husband's birthday during the week and I ordered a cake which was beautiful. Well done Durrueli and staff. P.s. Whoever filmed the advertising video has a wonderful sense of humour, it was part of what made me book here.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor, 214, lovely balcony but can be noisy if there is entertainment in...
1  Thank BellaAMalfi
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,

nice nice nice your review! Thats all I wanted to hear and I thanks a lot for this!!!!!

I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We've just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Hotel Durruelli. The food was excellent and varied and served by excellent staff. They were so pleasant and helpful and that we looked forward to going to dinner every evening.Our thanks to Raphael the Maitre'D,Marco Luigi Sara Martina Mary Ellen and Pira . Our room had a lovely view of the pool and garden and was kept spotlessly clean. Mina our Thomson rep. was really helpful and made our journey from the airport hassle free ,
We are hoping to return to Ischia again and we would stay at the Hotel Durruelli with Thomsons again, Marian and Tony

Room Tip: Room over looking the pool very nice
2  Thank Marian D
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest,

thanks to sharing your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. What else? .... just one word...there is no success without YOU!!!

Thanks again!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

It’s a little off the beaten path at the end of a residential street next to a park. It has spa amenities (hot/cold baths for feet, massages, warm pool with water jets etc.). It’s a very nice, clean, small hotel with excellent service. The staff is very friendly and will remember your food/drink choices quickly. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from Castello Aragonese (read my review elsewhere), perhaps the main attraction on the island and is well worth a visit (take the elevator up, then take the stairs down). It's also about a 15-20 minute walk from the port where a lot of shopping and restaurants can be found.

We were in a room above the front entrance which had a large balcony overlooking the neighborhood and a scenic view of several peaks from the volcano in the center of the island. The floor was made up of large, blue tiles, the room had high ceilings and a small, modern bathroom. The bed was a little hard for my tastes, but I was usually exhausted from exploring and wandering so I slept well none the less.

If you don't mind walking a little bit I would strongly encourage you to consider this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kemoszabe
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

first of all I'd like to thank you to sharing your review on Tripadvisor. I appreciate that your vacation in our Hotel went in a pleasant way by your side. The hotel is actually located in a strategic location, not far away from Ischia Porto ( down town ) and a couple of minutes walking from Ischia Ponte, where you have found the Aragonese Castle, objectively the most attraction of all Ischia Island.

I hope to see you again!

RHM - Resident Hotel Manager -

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Nice place. Good value for money on my deal.

What's really nice:

a) Staff are very warm, friendly and helpful. The resort has an interesting electronic display in the lobby which actually introduces the staff with picture and name. First time I've seen that. So they take a relatively "personal" approach to welcoming guests.

b) It's reasonably central. About 1 km from the heart of town i.e. Ischia Porto and about 1.5 km from the Castle Aragonese. More than enough restaurants, bars, shopping and amenities nearby. Local bus stop is 5 minutes walk away and you can buy tickets from a nearby news stand (next to the Violet bar).

c) I had free access to the spa so that was nice.

d) For a smallish place it's quite well equipped with pool, spa, and restaurant that serves quite good food. The free breakfast was quite good in my opinion.

e) Room, lobby, and the rest of it all acceptable.

f) Good wi-fi. Stable fast.

What would be even nicer:

a) Spacious rooms and even more important, spacious shower places with improved water heating and shower pressure.

b) Perhaps colors other than blue in the lobby (?).

Basically, very good value for money on my deal and deserves more than a 3-circle rating in my books: I've seen a lot of different hotels and although it's not the Ritz, it is nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank harshapaulraj
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest,

thanks to sharing your review on Tripadvisor. As an " Expert reviewer " on this site, your review profile certainly deserves a special attention and, by our side, has already been done. I take a good note of all yours appreciation thinking always a better way to give our best welcome to our customers.