“Still Fantastic!!!”

Villa Durrueli
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
“Still Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We visit this hotel year after year and still love it. This year we took a friend as well and she too couldn't speak highly enough of the hotel and its service. There are no negatives. The hotel clearly prides itself on its excellent customer service, and whilst professional at all times, it manages to stay warm and friendly too. We stayed this year for 2 weeks and everything from start to end ran smoothly - from the booking and excellent welcome on arrival handled by Filippo to the excellent service from the efficent girls on reception who provided help whenever it was needed. Guiseppe the night porter is a real favourite of ours he is a wonderful and friendly man who makes us feel so at home. The restuarant and bar staff are incrediably friendly also and ensure you relax at all times during your stay by providing an excellent service within a calm and inviting atmosphere. Special thanks must go to Raphelle, Sara and Marco who's professionalism and warmth ensure you the very best attention at all times and always with a smile.The food at this hotel is nothing short of wonderful and every meal is delicious and beautifully presented again, demonstrating attention to detail that goes above and beyond other hotels. The rooms are well decorated and immaculately cleaned every day.The roof terrace is an delightful way to absorb the surroundings and the 'bella vista' before or after dinner, and Luigi and Francesco on the bar are friendly. Together with its wonderful facilities and well maintained outdoor areas, its location is also a real plus point, ideally located between the port and the castle there are lots of bars restuarants and shops close by.
I need to be clear that whilst we return every year and have an obvious love for this hotel, my sister and I are fortunate to enjoy 3-4 trips a year, and so we have a lot to compare to. Its only a shame that all other hotels have to be compared to Hotel Villa Durrueli because they will always come up a little bit short when being compared to such excellence.
The management's constant vision for continuing improvement and the staff and service make this hotel all it is and we will return again very soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Helena,

it's a plesure to have you as our Guest every year, and I was so happy that you have suggested the hotel to your friend. It's true, every year we try to offer something more to all our Customers because we think that quality is the best way to have succes...but..... I know there's any success without you!!!

With love,

from all Resort's Staff
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Villa Durrueli, what a fantastic Hotel. Not large by any means and not too small either. It is situated just off the beaten track from the main road into the town and next to a wooded park. The surrounding noise is minimal, it is quite an intimate Hotel over all. Easy to walk into the old town and just as easy to walk in the other direction to the newer town near the main port from the Hotel. Taxis are always available should you want to use transport. The Restaurants and shops including a Supermarket and Pharmacie are plentiful in the town so should cater for everybody's needs.

The rooms are comfortable and well maintained. They are tastefully decorated and have virtually everything that you need including free Wi Fi.

All of the Staff are an absolute delight and a pleasure to deal with. The girls on Reception are just fantastic and cannot do enough for you. They even showed us around the Hotel after we had checked in which I thought was a very nice gesture. The Waiters and Waitress's were marvellous and very attentive and always served with a smile and hello whether it was at breakfast or dinner. Even the girls who cleaned the rooms had a smile for you and always greeted you. We were looked after by a gentleman in the evening who served us drinks on the front terrace of the Hotel, what a great guy.

The pool area and lunch area are really superb and it is really easy to relax. The Restaurant is delightful. There is easy access to all areas of the Hotel from all the rooms.

I met with the Manager Filippo Cervera on more than one occasion and he couldn't have been more friendly. He is in my opinion very professional , client orientated and very proactive. He will do his utmost to make sure that the client is well looked after. All you have to do is to let him know if you have any issues and he will put them right. Filippo and his staff were very attentive to us while we were preparing for my Daughters Wedding and couldn't do enough to help.

The Hotel also has a delightful Roof Terrace which is intimate and relaxing, again with very friendly and attentive staff. The Spa area is fantastic. All the guests that I spoke to at the Hotel would have no reservations staying here again, they were all very enthusiastic and did say that the whole atmosphere at the Hotel was extremely relaxing.

All in all this Hotel is customer focused and it ticks all the right boxes. My Daughter and her now Husband have just got married in the Cattedrale dell' Assunta at the Castello Aragonese d'Ischia and we had rooms at the Hotel for some friends and family. They all said without hesitation that they would come back and stay at this Hotel. I am coming back next year without fail because not only did i enjoy staying here I fell in love with Ischia. My Daughter and now Husband have been coming here to this Hotel and to Ischia for a number of years now and I can see why.

Room Tip: That's a tricky one. When I booked it was a Comfort Room. But members of Family who travelled to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MrStephenChurch
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Mr Church,

I was very pleased to have you as our Guest, and I have to say that you'll be always on our mind: you are a very special family for me. I am sure that your daughter's wedding was exceptional. You're a great and great was all your organizzation for her most important day. See you next year!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've been coming to Durrueli now for the last 6 years and I realised that I've spent all my time on tripadvisor complaining about other hotels in the world, without once reviewing this one.
Anyway, we went back to Ischia a couple of weeks ago and had our wedding at the magical Castello Aragonese. This time, our families stayed with us as well. They loved it too. We wouldn't stay anywhere else on Ischia. The location of the Durrueli is great, tucked away in a quiet street next to a park, yet a 5 minute walk from the charming old town of Ischia Ponte. Staff are wonderful, with a special mention to Ilaria on reception, Fillipo the manager (who really looked after us during our stay this time and helped me organise all the rooms for our guests back in April), the staff in the restaurant and Guiseppe the night porter, who was so patient through those long nights with some our party who had developed a taste for limoncello!
Although it was peak time at the hotel, the pool area remained relaxing and the spa area downstairs was nice and quiet, so it was lovely just to spend a couple of says resting and swimming.
I'd recommend visiting the restaurants nearby in the evenings, such as Da Ciccio, Al Pontile and Aglio, Olio et Pomidoro, all a short walk into the old town. Next to Da Ciccio is the Kiwi Bar, run by Gino, which is a lively nightspot and opens from 9pm.
Rooms in the hotel are little, but spotlessly clean, breakfast is always pleasant, the roof terrace is lovely for a quiet drink before heading out. We've had dinner once or twice here before and it's ok, but we prefer to soak up the atmosphere of the island in the evenings.
Don't pay too much attention to the negative reviews on here. It's the only hotel in the world we have been back to again and again. A wonderful place on a wonderful island, with really lovely staff. We'll be back to see you again very soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

really this is my best review and I thank you once again to stayed in our Hotel in Ischia.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a very small hotel; Clean, quiet, great pool, very friendly staff at the poolside bar and restaurant. Be sure to enjoy the rooftop patio in the evening for great views of the harbour and castle and hills.

Ischia can be pretty noisy but this hotel is slightly off the beaten track next to a park, so we were never aware of the sounds of the town.

The town is very walkable. Lots of people spend the day at the crowded beaches where you can pay to rent an umbrella and beach chairs. The stores close from 1-3 or so for siesta, but are open late.

The restaurants along the waterfront by the port are the place to be in the evenings.

Overall, it was a nice place to spend a few days.

Rooms are small and simple. Ours was right next to the main lobby but other than the morning we tried to sleep in, it was never a problem. Ceramic floors throughout makes for noisy hallways. Get used to it; we are all in the same boat.

The ladies at the front desk are very professional, but if you ask for anything slightly out of the ordinary, they won't be able to help you. Not sure if they are not allowed, or don't know how or are not interested. If they would be a little less formal and slightly more accommodating, this would be a great place. The gentleman who works the overnight shift is very nice.

We had a nice time, but listening to other guests, i got the feeling that as long as everything works well, it will be a nice stay, but if the simplest thing goes wrong, the staff don't seem all that interested in fixing it.

We used their outsourced laundry service and to my dismay, the shirts weren't returned clean; just ironed and folded. Expensive, slow and ineffective. I suggest taking a couple of hours and doing the laundry yourself just down the street.

We asked the hotel to call us a cab for departure, and the cabbie ripped us off for 20 Euros. The hotel should look out for its departing customers and select its drivers more carefully; after all, it was our last impression of ischia.

The ferry ride and taxi to the airport took just a little over an hour on a quiet traffic morning.

Room Tip: We had a room on the side away from the restaurant and pool; absolutely no view, but it was much qu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AvidCanoeist
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

thanks anyway to sharing your review of your stay at Hotel Villa Durruei Resort & Spa. I'm sorry that somethings was wrong, there was probably something in terms of the relationship that did not go on the right way. Our staff, as you can also be seen from the other reviews, it's always very professional and helpful with all our customers, and manages all regular and un-regular situations that may occur. About the laundry, if you advised us in time, and after appropriate checks, if applicable, would have honored by our side. About the taxi driver, we have exclusively a single reference that has been our partner for many years, his name is Joseph, and the fixed rate from Hotel to Ischia Porto is Euro 15,00 excluding luggages, so even here, I can not understand if you actually asked the taxi to the hotel or has got one on the street. Needless to alert you that our staff is multilingual, therefore, I do not think it may have been a communication problems.

I hope that there will be a second opportunity for assessment against us. Really happy if you'd give to contact me personally for your next possible stay in our hotel.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Two things you should know about me: I am a single traveler, used to getting the worse rooms in a hotel and I am not a complainer. I booked into Villa Durruelli because I had just finished a grueling 14 month assignment and need the spa and much quiet sleep. I decided to book a double room (instead of a single) to give myself a treat. The double room I was given faced a wall and was above the restaurant (I guess you can get bad rooms by paying more). That night there was much noise and clanking of dishes as people were eating outside and I couldn’t sleep. The next morning I asked if there was a quiet room (I had requested a quiet room through Booking.com). The lady agreed that it had been noisy the previous night and offered me a quiet single room because the hotel was booked solid. I took the single room. The room was off the lobby and that afternoon someone was playing a grand piano on the other side of my bedroom wall. I thought it was entertainment but it seemed to be someone practicing the piano. This went on for two hours. Do you know how irritating it is to have someone making mistakes over and over and trying to correct them on a piano? Finally, I got up and went for a walk. I do not know who this person was, but the hotel didn’t stop him (I didn't complain). When I went to check out I asked the hotel if I could be compensated for the fact that I had stayed in a single room for two nights. The lady at the desk said “no, because I had paid in advance and I had accepted the downgrade.” I responded that I had requested a quiet room, the single room was the only thing available because the hotel was booked, and the hotel had actually rented out the room I had given up so the hotel made money off of me. (If the hotel had not rented out the room I gave up, I would not have said anything.) She said no and I left. I then contacted Booking.com to get their opinion of the situation. They contacted Villa Durruelli, and the manager, Filippo (who I never saw but responds to all the comments) said that I was moved to a double room. He was mistaken. I sent in the receipt to Booking.com showing the single room. Villa Durruelli remained fixed. Booking.com offered me a 20 Euro credit which I took. In the end, Booking.com is a class outfit and Villa Durruelli should be in another business, not the hospitality business. I was only looking for some sort of indication that they were aware of people’s needs. If they had offered me a bottle of wine or a credit for my next stay (which I would have never used) I would have been ok. It is the fact that I felt I was dealing with a bunch of lawyers who were proving everything I did was wrong and they were always right.
If you stay there, know that you will never be right and the hotel will “always be booked” so your choice of rooms will be limited. There don’t seem to be any quiet rooms in this hotel (even on the side of the pine forest I think the sound will travel from the pool area). You may very well enjoy this hotel. As for me, I like hotels which specialize in hospitality.

Room Tip: Their don't seem to be any quiet rooms in this hotel. It is small and I don't think you can...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank leo1492
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I read your review, although I consider it a little bit inconvenient, it 's right to send you my answer and it is also briefly that the reader, knows that our hotel usually has a fairly high level of customer. It is not important that you know me, but it is very important that I know you, in fact, every day, I know all names of our Guests, and ask to my colleagues the level of satisfaction perceived by them. I knew from the outset of your inquiry and would be much more correct right from the start that you would have expressed the request to be refunded ( for what?? ). I personally replied to the request for Booking.com and I also indicated that I will not be blackmailed in this way. I do this job for 20 years and clients who try to blackmail I have seen many; is not this our customers and this is not our style. I think you have received a refund that was not owed. I hope now you are glad to have saved 20.00 Euro in a non-right.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hotel was nice. Spent most of our time at the Negombo thermal spa (which was a 20 min cab ride away). Small spa in hotel that was nice. Walked around area in evening and had dinner. Breakfast was pretty good. Ate it on our cute little balcony. Would have lounged by pool and gotten a massage if we had another day. Sad to leave. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raybola
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Mr Ray,

it was a pleasure having you as our preferred Guest. Really, many of our rooms has a nice balcony where you can dine in the evening, watching the pool, just as you did; I think it 's a really sight impressive. Next time, I'd like to show you our Five Diamond Restaurant, facing in front of the ocean and the amazing Aragonese Castle view; it will be a nice experience!!!!!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having just returned from the Villa Durrueli I felt I had to share my experiences because it was so good! We booked through Thompson holidays and firstly let me say that Mina their rep was first class - she couldn't do enough for her clients. Throughout the holiday she was available to make suggestions and to ensure our stay was fabulous which it certainly was. Can't wait to rebook and I NEVER go back to the same place twice.

To be picky we had to wait for a couple of other flights to come in because we were such a small group for the transfer but we were in the sun in the bar at the front of the airport so it was no hardship,. The transfer out of Pozzoulli was fine although the ferry was very old and in need of a major refurb but it got us there. On arrival our transfer from Casamicciola was very efficient. We may have come into Ischia Porto if we had got the ferry from Naples. If coming independently I would take the Alibus from the airport (just past McDonalds) for 4 euros and get off at the port - taking the ferry from there will get you into Ischia Porto otherwise it will be about a 25 euro taxi ride from Casamicciola. On arrival we dropped off other guests and then drove right through the port - I was wondering where on earth we were going to be accommodated as we seemed to be a long way from the town. On arrival the location of the hotel seems rather disappointing and I wouldn't want a room on the ground floor or at the front of the hotel. Our room was on the second floor and it turned out that we were directly behind the main street inbetween the main street and the beach. We had a lovely room with a great view of the church and castle (however the church was under scaffolding so that spoilt the view somewhat), As other reviewers have said the rooms aren't huge but the whole hotel was spotelessly clean. Could have done with more drawer space but I take far to many clothes - keep it fairly casual. Congratulations to all the staff - we were met by great staff on reception, excellent waiting staff and our chamber maid kept our room clean at all times. As for the food it was fine but not exceptional and if I am being really picky I would give the meat a miss and there was nothing on the second course for us veggies. The hotel is a comfortable 10 minute walk back into the port and about 5 minutes to the castle. The beach road is the best way back into the port as it takes you through the fabulous shopping area but there is a bus stop on the main road. I wouid like the option to have bed and breakfast as I like to try different places to eat. I didn't try the spar at the hotel and the jaccuzzi never seemed to be on - maybe you need to ask at reception but as we were out a great deal of the time it wasn't an issue. La Mortella gardens and Negombo spar are a must and for 10 euros you can spend a good half day in the castle with fabulous views and a very nice restaurant. Watch the Talented Mr Ripley which was filmed there. The island is beautiful although the buses are crowded but you can travel right round the bus on the CD or CS bus from the port - the trip takes about an hour. If going to Negumbo and you want to do it cheaply but easily take the bus to Lacco Ameno then get a taxi. There are plenty of taxis outside for your return. Take a towel and flip flops (don't buy beach wear there as it is a rip off). Also boat trips are available from the port to various places on the mainland and Procida which is very quaint but extremely quiet and a nice short ferry ride in the sun - lovely. I would definately return and for the price I think this hotel gives excellent value for money and I would stay there again, if fact I am already trying to fit in another visit.

Room Tip: Ask for second or top floor at side or back of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lynday1948
Durrueli, Direttore at Villa Durrueli, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

thanks to sharing your review on Tripadvisor. Thompson and Mina are clear examples of highly professionalism and we are very proud to be a part of the big Thomposn family.

I hope to see you again next year!