“Your very own Castle in the sky”

and 1 more site!
Albergo Il Monastero
Ranked #8 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
Ireland
“Your very own Castle in the sky”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I have looked forward to staying at this hotel for about 5 years, and extended family had joined me on the expectation that it was as good as I had believed. No pressure on me to deliver then. What we actually found was probably the holiday of our dreams. The hotel manager, Guilio, and his entire staff were simply superb. The rooms, food, entire staff, could not have been nicer. The weather was mixed, no tv or radio in room, but Guilio and his staff made us feel as if we were their family. Would not recommend this hotel to everybody, lots of steps to negotiate to get to your room so you would have to be fairly agile. However we stayed half board and the food was really exceptional. Thanks Guilio.

Room Tip: Book early to get either room 21 or 24,
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I had a single room and my parents stayed in a double. It was incredible. The hotel is in an amazing location, with beautiful views if Ischia and the sea. The building itself is wonderful, historical, simple, lovely, charming, romantic... I could go on. The service was kind, helpful and friendly. Warning: be prepared to climb some steps - this hotel would not work for someone with a disability.
My only three regrets:
1) I traveled with my parents and not my boyfriend (this place is so romantic!)
2) I wish I could have stayed longer
3) No fault of the hotel, but I found the buses in Ischia in generally were frustrating (crowded, stops are not clearly marked / announced, generally too few buses for the number of people - but I heard they add more buses during peak season, so hopefully this will improve during the summer months).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zucca77
Utah
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We couldn't believe we were actually staying in this incredible castle on an island off of a bigger island. We were given free reign to wander the castle and explore. It was so, so fun.

Our room was small, simple, but had a lovely view. We were fine with it. Of course, in Italy, the beds and pillows are hard, flat, and uncomfortable by American standards, and Il Monastero was no exception.

The other precaution I would give, is that we ate one dinner there, and thought it was a bit overpriced and not great, though some other guests seemed pleased.

Breakfasts were excellent, as was the staff.

We were able to park our car on the causeway, right outside the castle gate. This may not be possible in July or August, I'm not sure.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Princeville, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This was our second time back to Albergo Il Monastero, the location is in Casltello Argonese out on its very own Island. The staff was always on hand for help with information and greating you, the rooms were very clean with incredible views of the Ischia coastline. The common area is a living room with business center, a dining area for breakfasts and a huge patio overlooking Ischia. Wireless Internet was available in the common areas.

They have a full kitchen on site where the chef prepares breakfast and dinner, breakfast is included, dinner is offered at extra charge...definitly do the dinner at least one night, Francesco is incredible! Fresh homemade cakes and cookies in the morning, specialty dinners in the evening. They even arranged to have our guests from the conference we were attending for dinner on the terrace one evening, needless to say our guests were VERY impressed and we were very thankful for the hospitality.

If you ever travel to Ischia make sure to stay at least 2 nights here, you will return like we have...Can't wait to go again!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank KauaiRent
Denver, CO
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Our room offered a wide balcony with sheer rock walls peering down over the causeway connecting Il Moastero to the spa island of Ischia. The castle's history, the Island's thermal features (which attracted Greeks and Romans for perhaps 2,000 years), and gracious hosts made our 2 day stay the best of 17 days in Italy. During the day, small groups of Italian and German tourists came to tour the frescos in the convent crypt that were prepared by the school of Giotto. We felt privileged to pass through locked gates into the castle itself, leaving the other visitors behind. Don't miss touring the terraced gardens when 3 gardeners maintain the herbs, vegetables, flowers, and grapes for the restaurant and its own white wine.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Stayed at the Castello (Monastero) for 8 days. A friend of mine had recommended it to me and all I can say I had a wonderful stay. I am travelling over 120 day a year, always staying in 5* Hotels and this was exactly what I needed. The views were spectacular, the food had this little bit of extra (meaning the chef had put love in it), nearly every day I had a treatment in the late afternoon - facials, massages, you name it. The price value ratio was good. The owners and the staff were really helpful with everything, they booked tours for me, gave me advise where to go and overall, as a single female, for once I did not feel displaced, I was treated like a valued customer. The room was what I expected in an old Castel, the bathroom was small but very modern and functional (even the water pressure was good, which is not normal in Italy) the cleaning was good, Internet was available, basically I had everything I needed. Only problem, I am pinning to go back and to renew body and soul.

For the person who wrote that the Hotel was not clean, I do disagree, it is part of my day to day work and from a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it 9.5. It is obvious that an ancient Castle has certain opportunities. You want a lifetime experience, try it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Pilzi
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 23 January 2010

We really like this hotel. We have stayed here twice and loved it both times. Our last time here in June the food was excellent - peach upside down cake was delicious. Dinner and breakfast outside, overlooking the city is spectacular. Our host was really nice and helpful. The only downside is the climb from the top of the elevator to the reception.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple