“Run, Run Far Away!”
Review of Hotel Grillo Verde

Hotel Grillo Verde
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Photos and description on hotel's own website are completely misleading. Hotel located in bad part of town, room bathroom was disgusting, bed linens... well you guess.. We walked in and turned around and demaned our money back to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: go into town at Pompeii and you will find much nicer hotels. Grillo Verde is NOT near Pompeii as adv...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RebeccaH2010

Reviewed 26 September 2010

The person(s) that own this place discriminate horribly against American visitors. We were promised that we would be transported to Pompei and Herculaneum from this hotel and then the owner(s) reneged.

We were made to sit ALONE, by ourselves, in the dining room while he took other people's orders that had arrived long after us.

They would never give us our bill after the dinner... and they socked the heck out of us when they gave us our bill on check out after five days.... The bill they charged us had NOTHING to do with the prices listed on their MENUS. CROOKS!!!

The bed was the most uncomfortable ROCK we encountered in our SIXTY YEARS of LIFE!!!

While the Service was as described ABOVE, the food (once you got any) was EXCELLENT and beautifully presented.

P.S. Torre Annunziata is an inconvenient ARMPIT and Grillo Verde is NOT the closest to Pompei by a long shot. AMERICANS SHOULD LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Would we go back to Grillo Verde? NEVER.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WWWatchdog
Reviewed 20 June 2005

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to visit the ruins in Pompeii. Let me start by saying that the hotel is a wonderful oasis in the middle of nowhere. FYI-the train station is not Pompeii as I assumed, it is Torre Annunciata. I didn't look at the map carefully enough.
The hotel is surrounded by walls and when you enter it is like you are in a different world. Beautiful plants and flowers decorate the entry and the terrace. The hotel staff (owners) are very efficient and welcoming. The hotel has everything you could possibly ask for without having to leave the premises. The bar is open 24 hours with cappuchino, soda, alcoholic beverages and snacks. They sell guidebooks, postcards and stamps. They have free internet access in the lobby.
I have to comment on the restaurant! The breakfast was fresh baked pastries with a huge assortment of jellies, butter, etc. They included juice and choice of coffee. We had dinner at their restaurant both nights we stayed at the hotel. The prices were extremely reasonable and the meal fabulous. There is a selection to meet anyones taste and everything is made to order. I recommend trying the local white wines they offer. Our only regret was that we had to buy lunch at the Pompeii ruins which is horrible. If I thought ahead, maybe could have bought some kind of lunch with us. The family is very accommodating.
The room is large and the best part is the bathroom. Larger than anywhere I have seen in Italy with great towels (not the normal dish towels you get at other budget hotels). Room is extremely clean with television, safe and wardrobe. There is a terrace on the second floor if you want to sit outside.
Word to the wise...Pompeii is a little farther away than the website leads you to believe. Took about 20 minutes, but the worst part was where you were walking. We live in Philadelphia, PA and are used to "bad" sections of town. But not used to walking in the midst of horrendous traffic with no stoplights or sidewalks. We are in our 30's and would do it again. However, I wouldn't reccomend a senior couple or young family make the trek. It cost about 10 Euro for a cab home.
We would definately stay there again as it is a much better option than Pompeii or Naples. However, plan on staying within hotel property. There is nothing else out there. The family will take good care of you and you couldn't ask for better meals or atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 March 2005

This hotel is not located in the town of Pompei, but is in Torre Annunziata, which is not as lovely as the first. But if you have your own car or if you need to go to Naples by train, then it is a nice place to stay. The staff and the hotel manager (owner?) are extremely friendly and they make you feel as a part of their family. Rooms are ok and clean, given the price you pay and the hotel category.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 February 2005

My best friend and I stayed here in 1999. Because we were 2 women traveling alone the staff was very protective of us. They insisted on driving us to our locations and Mr Borrelli treated us as if we were his own daughters. When my husband and I got married in Florence I insisted that we spend a couple of nights here for our honeymoon. The hotel is lovely. We love it because it is not a chain hotel like the Sheraton or Holiday inn. It is full of Italian charm. We had informed them that we were on our honeymoon and we were greeted by fresh flowers in our room. Again they insisted that they drive us anywhere we wanted to go. We did walk back from Pompeii ruins and found the walk to be a short and easy one. At all times we felt safe and well taken care of. The rooms were spotless. The food in the restaurant is great and we would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

8  Thank CoryandLauraJurica
London, UK
Reviewed 15 August 2004

Don't believe their website!! The hotel is about 20 minutes walk from the entrance to the Pompeii ruins and the walk is through what can only be described as a slum. If someone dropped you into this area and told you it was some impoverished town in South America, you'd believe it. The owners are the most surly hoteliers I've ever encountered and the breakfasts are grim. Stay in Pompeii town instead!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 November 2003

We made the mistake of booking a room for 2 nights at this flea bag hotel after looking at their website. I don't know what hotel they took picutres of for their site but it sertainly wan't this one. It is in a terrible section of town that I could only describe as gritty, impoverished and industrial. There is nothing around the hotel. I felt unsafe walking around the corner to get some yucky pizza and two beers from a take-out place. The staff is unfriendly. The rooms are furnished with old mismatched dorm-like furniture and tattered Degas posters. There was an extra bed akwardly squeezed in the corner of our room. The walls are paper thin. I got the pleasure of listening to a couple next door alternatively fight and having *** all night. It was so bad I actually banged on the wall to get them to shut up. A couple of drunks tried to get in our room by mistake in the middle of the night. No wonder, the hall was pitch dark as soon as the elevator door closed. You had to feel along the wall to find a light switch. Rental for a remote to operate the airconditioner was 10 Euro/day on top of the room rate. It is NOT within walking distance to the pompeii ruins. We walked it and it was not easy at all. (We are in our 30s and in OK shape) We walked along highways with no sidewalks, through ugly unfriendly residential sections and through more industrial areas to finally get to the ruins. We stayed one night and got the hell out of there. If I were doing it again, I'd stay in someplace nice in Naples and just take the train to the ruins for the day.

• Stayed: October 2003
#21 of 26 in Pompeii
Tonia's garden B&B
Tonia's garden B&B
#1 of 5 in Torre Annunziata

Been to Hotel Grillo Verde? Share your experiences!