“Outstanding experience”

Villa Margherita by the Sea
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Levanto
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I was at Villa Margherita this July and had a wonderful experience. The room was extremely confortable and spotless with a very nice view of Levanto. The breakfast was just great particularly when I sat outside and enjoyed the lovely gardens. The villa has a nice location for people interested in going to the beach or taking the train to visit Le Cinque Terre. If you are interested in hiking the location of the Villa offers a nice walk along pretty villas that will bring you to a walking and bike path along the old railroad. Overall a great experience and location for anyone wanting to experience this beautiful region of Italy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin P

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I depend heavily on the TripAdvisor reviews, especially when booking hotels out of the country. I have to say, of the 5 hotels I booked for our Italy trip, this one was the only disappointment. The room was adequate and clean, the bathroom small and breakfast about the same as everywhere else we stayed. Where I really felt they fell short was in service. The owner was borderline rude to us and not at all helpful in planning activities. Perhaps he was having a bad day(s) but we nicknamed him "Mr. Grumpy". I only met what I have to assume was his sister when we checked out and really didn't have much interaction with her. The only bright spot was the owner's father Mario who, even with limited English, pointed us towards an excellent restaurant.

I must agree with a few of the other reviewers, I just don't think this hotel was worth the money. It was a decent base for Cinque Terre, but if I had it to do again, I would have looked for a place in Monterooso. The trains visit it just as frequently, it is big enough to have restaurants and beach services and can be the starting or ending point for hikes.

1  Thank Judi W
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I and another couple enjoyed a brief one-night stay at the hotel recently. Paola and her brother were extremely kind and helpful, our room (along the upper garden, looked newly built or renovated) was absolutely spotless, the bathroom huge and well-appointed and the breakfast (while not grand) was tasty. The nice gentleman working the desk in the evening(I'm guessing Paola's father) was kind enough to phone our restaurant to book for us and asked after our experience the next morning. The hotel was kind enough to permit us to keep our car in their parking area for a couple of hours after check-out time. A clean, well-located little hotel in a great location in a BEAUTIFUL town and region.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Was in Villa Margherita July 2013. Clean, nice room with lovely view, reasonably priced. Several lovely gardens to relax and have a snack. Wonderful breakfast included with great service. Close to train station.. 5 minute walk to town makes it a good choice for proximity yet far enough away from the noise. Close to jogging and biking path. Only drawbacks are 2 minutes of somewhat precarious walking along the road towards town. Owner was very gracious and polite and provided us with everything we wanted including meal suggestions and return trip to train station even though I sometimes got the feeling that he would rather be doing something else. Neither of these very minor issues should discourage anyone from staying here. I would definitely stay here again.
See review of Smallface1 for trip recommendations.

Room Tip: Garden rooms though larger and classier, are pricier and don't have a scenic view.
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Beautiful place to stay with a friendly helpful staff. Full hearty breakfast with numerous choices. Easy walk to the beach, center of town & train station. Quick train ride to Cinque Terre. Lots of great restaurants. The locals were all helpful and friendly considering the mass of tourist they must deal with everyday. Definitely would return to this B & B.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This hotel gets most things right. Rooms are nice(choose the garden rooms and not the rooms in the main house), breakfast is good though more fresh fruit would be nice. It is especially nice to sit in the garden during the morning or evening. The first part of the walk into town is on a main road and slightly dangerous. Ask for pickup to and from the train station as it is a difficult walk with luggage. The owner could be friendlier with guests but he is efficient.

Cinque Terre is everything one reads about it. Add the 2.5 hour walk from Levanto to Monterroso which though a bit challenging is certainly spectacular.consider a trip to Portovenere ( by boat) and another one to Portofino via the train to St Marguerite al Ligure.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smallface1
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I consider myself an experienced traveller. I normally do not write reviews but after my delightful stay in such a little quiet well kept secret paradise of italy I felt the need to share. The owners are siblings, Paola and Federico. They share the shifts equally with kindness and go beyond the word hospitality. The rooms are small but clean,quaint ,and simply surrounded by heavenly grounds. I would highly recommend this as a getaway from all the chaos of cinque terre. Side note the sole taxi driver Andrea is also so helpful and gracious.

Room Tip: No pool. Fitness is walking to beach and back
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business