“Good Location”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Levanto
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Location”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Hotel Dora is a short walk from the township of Levanto. The lady on the desk did not speak much english and came across quite abrupt. the parking over the road was free but small. The wifi did not work and it was difficult to make the lady on the desk understand the problem. the room was tiny with no room to put a suitcase but the bed was OK. Very pleasant to sit out on the terrace with a drink in the evening. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Max422

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 December 2011

My wife and I were on our way from Monaco to Monterosso (Cinque Terre) in October. It was raining pretty heavily and as we were driving through Levanto we were told that the road to monterosso was washed out. The rain was so bad that we became stuck in our car for 5 hours. Knowing that we were not getting to Monterosso we needed a place to stay. We left the car and walked through feet of water to higher ground. As we turned arouns a corner there it was, almost something out of a movie, the Hotel Dora. Ahhhh , hopefully they have room. I went in and the owner I believe Dora, was there. Explained my situation, in broken Italian, and she informed me that cinque terre was all washed out, which it were. COmpletely devasted. We got a room and it was a room. Older, basic, but very clean. Old school italian. We walked around the city for a bit, where it was not flooded and it was pretty cool. Went back to the Dora and had some beers in their lounge. Overall with the circumstances, pretty good. THe room was 95 euro or 108 euro with breakfest I think. Same the extra euro and grab something at the cafe's. It was ok but not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mvc321
Oregon
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Hotel Dora is a perfect place to stay if you want to visit the Cinque Terra but don't have reservations for the main five villages. A short train ride (or 3-hour hike) from Monterosso, it's a great little town.

The hotel is located in the center of town, with free parking across the street. We were able to walk to the beach and restaurants in just a few minutes, and the same for the train station.

If your goal is to walk the Cinque Terra, the trail from Levanto to Monterosso is the ultimate beginning. The visitor center in Levanto has a map and directions. The trail is not for the faint-of-heart, especially on a hot day. Take plenty of water. But it's worth the effort!

The Hotel Dora is used by tour bus groups, so keep that in mind. Breakfast was filling and included.

If returning to the Italian coast, we would stay here again. The owners have a sister property up on the bluff above the village (the Hotel La Giada del Mesco) that looked interesting, but was too far from the center of activity for us.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NWWildTurtle
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Hotel Dora was a great place to stay. Four of us stayed for 6 nights while we explored Cinque Terre and the Ligurian coast. The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. The dinners at night were wonderful - we couldn't wait for 8.00 pm to come along! The rooms were of a 3 star standard with air con which came in handy as Italy had a heat wave in July this year. We arrived by train from Milan so the hotel was easy to get to from the station and it was also close to the beach and town centre.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank CathyG06
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The town is gorgeous and well worth the visit. The hotel should be avoided at all costs unless you are looking to be treated in the most obnoxious manner possible. The parking lot across the street is a huge problem as it hods about 10 cars and you are usually blocked in making you ask the manager to move cars to allow you exit. You do this at your own risk! While waiting for the 8 p.m. meal (another story later) we wanted to drive around - walking was difficult as my wife has MS and her mobility is limited. We were told by the obnoxious owner/manager we were a "nuisance" and were not to ask to ask her again - in good English - no problem here! The 8 pm meal was a disaster and we had no choice but to pay for it with the reservation even though we didn't want it. Being herded like sheep to the dining room and eating a "meat dish" (never defined as to what the meat was even when asked) and some sort of mass pasta that was barely edible....ruined that evening. The other choice - fish - looked edible but who knows. As we had already paid for this it ruined the possibility of a good evening - should have gone on our own in town and had our own and bit the bullet. Price was OK but certainly not worth the abuse of this woman.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Levanto hotels

France
Reviewed 15 December 2009

This hotel is well situated: more or less mid-way between the train station and the town centre and an easy walk to both. Their car park just on the other side of the road is a definite advantage and my car stayed put for the duration. I stayed 5 nights on a B&B basis, apparently my room was upgraded so I have absolutely no complaints on that score, the staff and the owner were all very pleasant. One minor whinge would be the watered down fruit juice for breakfast, solved by buying some myself to drink before going down, but otherwise the breakfast buffet was ample.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
New Orleans
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The staff (restaurant & housekeeping) were very attentive and patient when it came to my limited Italian. The food was wonderful. The hotel and its' guests reminded me of an Italian Fawlty Towers. My only and greatest complaint was the way I was treated by the woman who ran/owned the place. She not only berated me on several occasions in front of a room FULL of people and had a general attitude towards me the entire time. I actually tried to leave the hotel and go some where else as I had to shake her negative vibe off of me every morning before my daily hike of the Cinque Terre. She would not let me out if my reservation, though it would it would have opened up a room for the weekend which people were actively seeking. If you are fluent in Italian, I am sure it would be a wonderful experience. It is a short walk from the train station, and close to the beach & trail. There are medieval buildings, amazing.
I DO FEEL I SHOULD HAVE HAD A BETTER GRASP ON THE LANGUAGE AS I WAS A VISITOR THERE. I still do not think this excuses a person to scream at you or crack jokes about the person when they are sitting there, understanding most of what you are saying.
I did like the meals being included, but I had to be back for dinner by 8PM and did not get to try other restaurants. I had just spent 10 days on a rigorous schedule and I regretted not being able to eat when I wanted.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo