“"Not impressed"”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Puglia, Italy
“"Not impressed"”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I live in Alberobello for most of the year and this restaurant has had mixed reviews with friends. I decided to try it for myself. It was lunch and I dined with 8 members of my family. The place is rather dark and old fashioned, service was good. The antipasti a mark of a good restaurant (if it is any good) was very disappointing at €15 per person I expected a feast but got 5 very measly portions of very ordinary food, most of it cold. My main course was a fillet of veal with mushrooms, simply cooked was fine and the salad was poor for €5. We finished with Tiramisu which we suspected was bought in, very ordinary, one portion was served at half the size of the others, when we complained they served another portion which was partially frozen in the middle. The cost? €217.00 for 5 adults and 4 children (3 not above 5yrs) this was a very expensive lunch for a very mediocre meal. I won't be going back.

• Visited August 2013

• Serbian first
New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome experience at il Poeta Contadino!”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My friend and I wonderful dinner May 17th. The food was of high quality and the Chef was very creative with his presentation! We were served complimentary assortment of appetizers (pizza with onion, ricotta and spinich quiche, muscles "casino", and an aperitif. We split the first course of Orecchiette with friarelli and spinach. It was prepared perfectly al dente. The second course, and the reason for our trip there, was for the Buon Ricordo (happy memory) dish. The Chef was very creative with his presentation. This signature dish was comprised of bass, grouper, and scorpion fish. Each end of the fish overlapping the other and then rolled around zucchini and carrots placing it on top of a turnip purée. For dessert I had the molten chocolate and orange cake with...Grande Marnier. We now have a buon ricordo of this wonderful restaurant!

• Visited May 2013
Samara
“Good Restaurant”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The restaurant has a Michelin star, is located at the entrance to the zone trulli of Alberobello. Prices are much higher than in similar establishments nearby. A pleasant atmosphere. Very tasty risotto, I recommend.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank SergGor
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Extreme sophistication in a place you would not expect”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Marco Leonardo owns and is the chef at the brilliant at RISTORANTE IL POETA CONTADINO. its expensive but totally worthwhile.

Wine list is OUTSTANDING and has one world recognition. Food was elaborate but brilliant.

Perfect english spoken and excellent staff and service.

50 Euros a head.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank RobertsonTours
Rowayton, Connecticut
“A worthwhile excursion”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Spending a week in the Ostuni area, our group of eight wanted something special for Mothers' Day luncheon. This Michelin One Star restaurant was our choice, and we were not disappointed. Although it has nothing to do with the food or its presentation, the two women servers, being entirely fluent in English, made a tremendous difference in our experience. In fact, as a tourist, these women were the most fluent we had during our 17 days in Italy.
Although the menu was relatively limited, the ability to benefit from the subtle direction of our servers meant everyone was satisfied. Portions were shared without any attitude from staff, and wines were suggested without any attempt to run up the tab. Reflecting on this meal and experience, every aspect of the afternoon felt seamless. When we departed, after a photo with Chef Lorenzo, we all knew we had had a wonderful repast, yet as I write this, I cannot point to a specific plate or item that absolutely HAS to be experienced. The menu offered a tantalizing and tasty adventure and one knew that an experience had been registered, and yet you had not been made to feel that you were an unworthy intruder in an exalted kitchen.

• Visited May 2013