“Reasonable Comfort in a GREAT Location”

Albergo del Chianti
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Greve in Chianti
Reviewed 29 April 2013

For a three person room it was a little small and really nothing special there. Is nice that you can really darken the room to get a good night sleep. The bathroom was fine, and everything was clean and in working order. Every place we stayed in Chianti had a continental breakfast but this one had the best/wides selection. The food was not anything to rave about but was nice. There is also a small bar in the lobby when you can have a drink while you wait for the slower people in your party. The location perfect, good food, good wine and all the sites of Greve (there are not many) are close by.
We went in April, will very early in the spring/summer for the region so the pool was not open, and there were not using the outdoor/inclosed garden space. Which would only make this place even better.
Staff were nice enough and occasionally helpful I did not have much interaction with them say negative or positive things about them.

Room Tip: Late spring and summer this is the place to stay.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 April 2013

A great location in a great little town. The town itself is great, and the hotel is located on the main square so you can easily stroll back home after dinner. Very relaxed staff, friendly and helpful if you asked for anything. Room was very little, but perfectly functional, and quiet for a good nights sleep. We stayed just one night so it was fine. If staying longer may have requested a larger room. The hotel also has a pool, too cold when we were there to use it, but would imagine in Summer it would be a great little spot.
For the room itself probably give it a 3, but the location was great, so giving it a 4

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We visited this hotel in November 2012 and was very disappointed in the quality of the rooms we had. What was so surprising was that it had gained 4 stars here on TripAdvisor. Our group only spend one night here, to which I am so grateful. The rooms seemed like they were from 1970's, having old beds ,bad sheets, awful furniture, gray towels, and lights that did not work.The rooms had a funny smell as well. I woke up all night from the wall heating unit that would turn on and off as the temperature fell and light up my room like a crazy pinball machine complete with lights and noise.I was afraid to use the blankets due to their condition.There were four of us and each had our own room and we all had the same experience. This was one of the worse nights of my life in a hotel. The people who ran the hotel were actually very nice and I am sorry to have to give a bad review but I have to be honest if only to save someone from a night like I experienced.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nanette O
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect of this place given the reviews but we had nothing to worry about. Our room was nicely decorated and large with a comfortable bed, TV and fridge. It was a bit dated and the toilet seat had a large crack in it but nothing major. The dude on reception gave us a great welcome. He showed us where to park and suggested a few good restaurants and have us the code for the free wi-fi. We drove on to the piazza to the hotel to drop off our luggage and then parked about a 5 minute walk away in the city's free parking place. Location is unbeatable right on the corner of probably the prettiest piazza right in the centre of town. Sound proofing is not the best between walls - I was woken up by a couple returning to their room at 2.30am (not sure where you would go in Greve until that time so maybe it's not that common). Breakfast was alright. The pool and patio area looked really nice for summer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hotel is old and worn out. (Rooms, beds, bathroom appliances, AC, etc. ). the hotel is run by a family. I met and/or talked to some of them. They were usually willing to help, but not very professional (not toward us, but about running the hotel in general)
They asked us to leave the room at 10:30. I understand that the "hotel rules" were designed this way, but I feel the almost universal time is 12:00. Depending on the reservation status of the room even that can be extended. Regarding our room, since we were told we could extend our stay, I understand that there was no pressuring new reservation check-in.
The positive thing is, the hotel is located at the center of the old-town, Piazza Matteotti, but since Greve is a fairly small town, there are more hotels within 5 minutes of walking distance.
Breakfast was O.K.
Although I don't feel cheated, I would not choose this hotel if I ever have the chance to go to Greve in Chianti.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onder23
beloki, Proprietario at Albergo del Chianti, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Dear Mr, I am very sorry for his behavior very wrong in wanting to take revenge on all the way to our hotel.
in its reservation made with booking.com is specified that the checkout is at 11.00, so quite simply could not ask for the receipt to stay in the room until 11.00 as conditions and not to stay up to 12.30.
In addition, the invitation to stop classify our hotel as old and worn out, because as in the photo has been restored only six months ago, according to photos published in various websites of booking.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

My wife and I only stayed here for one night as we passed through Greve. I found this hotel based upon its central location in the town square a lower price. It was a little tough to find the hotel and a place to park. You aren’t able to drive a car into the square where the hotel is located and we probably drove around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking lot. Once we were in the hotel they did give us a very useful map and directed us to the best parking lot. I would recommend e-mailing them in advance to get good directons to the parking lot.

The room was adequate, but probably our least favorite of all rooms during our 2 weeks in Italy. With all hotels I feel like there is a balance between price and quality and this was always the least expensive hotel we stayed in. I found the value to this hotel to be very good, especially considering its central Greve location (lots of restaurants close by, including Gallo Nero, which was one of our favorites on our trip).

The breakfast area was very nice and had a typical Italian breakfast. I didn’t spend any time in the Courtyard or pool, but it looked very nice.

All in all I recommend this hotel for those looking for a good value stay. The Wi-Fi worked well and so did the air conditioner. My 3 stars don’t necessarily anything wrong with the hotel, the room was just wasn’t as nice as others we stayed in, but at about 2/3 the price, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I knew Greve was a delightful little town with a gorgeous piazza, so my friends and I wanted to stay right in that piazza. The Hotel Albergo del Chianti provided us with a comfortable room with air conditioning and an incredible rate for 3 people. To say that the hotel is family owned is such an inadequate description of this wonderful, boisterous, hysterical group of mother, father, sons, uncles, and nephews who run this wonderful place. The breakfasts were delicious and ample. The advice as to where we should venture took us to towns we had never heard of but should not be missed. The swimming pool in the back is large and surrounded by lounge chairs and umbrellas. We could have stayed there all day, but Tuscany called. I would definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends