I am a fan of fine wines so our Italian holiday had to include a stay in the Chianti region. Where better to stay than an award winning winery! Castello Vicchiomaggio is located in the heart of Chianti a short drive outside of Greve in Chianti. We found it easy to find & unlike some other reviewers had no problems with our GPS. They have a tasting room/shop located at the entrance to the property which leads to a long winding drive up the hill through the vineyards. There was plenty of parking at the Castello - each room has a designated space although it was not full to capacity during our stay. This is still a family owned business & the daughters greeted us warmly at reception to check us in.
Our suite was located in the newer annex of the property. This appears to be a recent renovation but still retains plenty of character & Tuscan charm. Our suite was enormous & very good value for the price. The bed was comfortable & the a/c kept us nice & cool. There is a communal sitting area in the annex with a fridge & tea/coffee making facilities - there is also free wifi. Outside of the annex is a little garden - with space to dine. As others have said - dining options are limited as the restaurant only hosts events on certain nights. However we had other arrangements in place so this was not really an issue to us. The hotel was able to provide some excellent restaurant recommendations for the whole of the Chianti region marking a map for us specially. Greve is not far to drive & the hotel did manage to arrange for us to get a Taxi one evening.
The Castello & its grounds are simply stunning. It is a beautiful old building set amongst terraced walled gardens & the pictures do not do it justice. Even harder to capture is the view - which is simply breathtaking. The rolling hills of Tuscany stretch before you for miles as an unbroken panorama. This is picture postcard Tuscany. The mist rises from the vineyards in the morning & is a wonderful sight. The infinity pool makes full use of this view & we just sat on the loungers to drink it in.
Some other reviewers have criticised this property for a lack of services & amenities. We simply do not agree - this is agriturismo at its best & not a sterile hotel stay. We did not feel short of anything during our time here & the standard of accommodation was excellent & good value.
Just a quick note on the wine - they do an excellent range of wines - very highly regarded & excellent quality. I have since acquired a number of cases for my cellar!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castello Vicchiomaggio (Vicchiomaggio Castle), one of the most beautiful and well-preserved castles in Tuscany, immersed in a park of more than 130 hectares, is an elegant holiday farm, a perfect location for wedding receptions, meetings and events organisation, as well as a renowned wine estate.Located in the heart of Chianti, it is a jewel nestled among hills, and a shrine of hospitality to celebrate the most important day of your life, as well as a holiday resort offering the utmost relax, or to enjoy tasting of various wines and typical products and to organise your meeting or gala evening. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Castello Vicchiomaggio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Vicchiomaggio Hotel Greve In Chianti
- Castello Vicchiomaggio Greve In Chianti, Italy - Tuscany