“Superb castle with wonderful view”

Castello Vicchiomaggio
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Greve in Chianti
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is a first rate, beautifully kept chateau on a gorgeous hillside, with a view of rolling mountains filled with vines and olive groves all around. The pool is oriented to see the exceptional view while swimming. Our rooms, a suite, were facing the view too. The staff was very accomodating and respectful. Their gastronomical evening of wine tasting, a 5 course meal and a visit to their wine cellars was delightful and an exceptional value for the money, together with musical entertainment, by way of a piano player who sang quite well too. We stayed 6 nights and wish we had reserved longer. We will definitely return to this wonderful spot, close to many interesting places to visit.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet, facing the mountain view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I ve been in this castle for 2 days in august booking really last minute. The place is amazing really in the Hearth of Chianti. Staff is really nice, swimming pool has a fantastic view on the valley. Only thing could be' improved is breakfast, rich enough but with ordinary food. I ll come back for sure!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I took my family and partner to visit Castello Vicchiomaggio last week.
I knew their high quality wines before and I couldn't wait to see the actual grounds where they are produced.
I was absolutely amazed by the beauty of the castle! A real gem, a must see!
Mr John Matta and his daughter Delfina couldn't be more hospitable: they really made our day special.
Both the food and the wines we tasted were delicious - we purchased several bottles of wine, vin santo and olive oil after our lunch.
As a restaurateur I could not praise them enough for their professionalism, friendliness and knowledge.
I definitely recommend a visit to Vicchiomaggio - not just to the wine connoisseurs - but to anyone who wants to treat himself/herself to an unforgettable experience.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Castello Vichiomaggio is arguably one of the most beautiful and majestic sites in Chianti and even without mentioning the stunning infinity pool, the stay itself is worth it for the chance to soak up the character of the building (and to learn the history of some of it’s more celebrated residents..)

We had an excellent wine tour of the cellars, and the chance to taste some of the wines with a charming and charismatic hostess on the day also. The one piece of constructive criticism I would make to the management would be to review the dinner. Whilst I am assured it was likely just the one night we happened to be there, being served a no menu, burger only option (yes, really) myself and the other guests were somewhat disillusioned to say the least. Why a decision was taken to serve hamburgers (with no alternative choice, and no Tuscan alternative) at EUR26 per head I am really quite baffled to be frank.

However, this not withstanding, the rest of our stay was wonderful and I would recommend the Castello to all.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our visit in Tuscany was all the more better, while staying at the castello. The grounds are so beautiful, over looking the vineyard hills. The grounds and infinity pool area our immaculate and kept clean and always tidy. The accomodations were above our expectations. Very clean and modern. The family, employees were so friendly and helpful. The wine tour was fantastic. The breakfast also was exceptional. The surrounding views were breathtaking and gave us the trueTuscan experience. I would recommend Castello Vicchiomaggio to anyone who wants the true Tuscany visit. A must visit. Will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We went hear on a Cosmos Wine Tasting tour whilst touring the Tuscany region, The Castello is absolutely stunning, with amazing views. They actually rent rooms out here, and I have decided that this is were I am going to stay next time I come back to Tuscany.

The Chianti Classico 2008 is amazing, make sure you buy a bottle. It is a little expensive at 18 Euros a bottle, but one of the nicest reds I've ever tasted.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel really is spectacularly located overlooking the valley below and its own vineyards. The main building is a beautiful old "castle" (big house) set in great grounds. They have converted and extended what looked like was the old chapel into more bedrooms - these are new and air-conditioned, but quite honestly we would have preferred to stay in the old building. Breakfast was very good. Now, the weird bit they give you a set of keys to get everywhere in and out of locked gates all a bit odd, not unpleasant just strange. I think this hotel will go more upmarket over time. It has a stunning nfinity pool.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 3 in Lastra a Signa
Albergo del Chianti
Albergo del Chianti
#6 of 19 in Greve in Chianti

Been to Castello Vicchiomaggio? Share your experiences!