“Amazing Villa!”

Villa Bordoni
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Greve in Chianti
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at Villa Bordoni for 4 nights and it was awesome!!! The room was well furnished, clean, comfortable and had a gorgeous view. The pool area is beautiful and very tranquil. All the food was excellent - outdoor eating area is great. We did a cooking class with Chef Collin which was so much fun and dinner was delicious! Highly recommend the cooking class.The staff were extremely attentive and helpful. The service was amazing - very first class! Ricardo and Farida were wonderful!!! This Villa may have a dirt road leading to it but it is without question a Luxury Villa!!! I totally recommend it!

Room Tip: We stayed in Montefili room - beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lgs479

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during our honeymoon trip to Italy. We had a little difficulty finding it at first because our GPS stopped working once we drove off the main roads. We accidentally drove onto the wrong dirt road and got lost but after re-tracing our steps to the main road we were able to follow signs to the villa.

We decided to try their restaurant the first night we were there since we had read raving reviews. I notified them that I was vegan ahead of time and confirmed that they would be able to accommodate my diet. Our waiter was really friendly and attentive. The chef personally came to chat with me before we ordered to ensure that I would have a wonderful vegan meal - which I did! (see our photos!) This meal proved to be one of the best from our entire 2-week long trip and I could not have asked for more! We ate there again on our third night which proved to be just as wonderful.

We stayed in the San Cresci room. It had a beautiful view and even a small second level loft with a daybed. Our room also had a 3d tv and bluray player which enabled us to stay up-to-date on Game of Thrones!

The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed doing yoga outside with the gorgeous views. Unfortunately it was too cold out to swim while we were there, but the pool area was very nice.

There are many wineries within a short driving distance. One day, we drove out to Castello di Brolio which was definitely worth the drive for the beautiful scenery along the way and the fun of visiting a real life castle.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much!

Room Tip: upper floors have more of a view of the countryside
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This luxury villa in the hills of Chianti Tuscany has both rustic charm and modern updates. This is possible because the villa was a dilapidated 16th century old building when it was purchased by a Scottish couple in 2002 and lovingly renovated over three years to its current glory. The meticulous planning in the villa's design is evident. The interior is gorgeously furnished with thoughtful attention to every private room and public space. The villa manages to exude luxury without stuffy pretentiousness and it's filled with vintage odds and ends.

We stayed in the Montefioralle suite - also known as the Honeymoon Room. This is a beautiful and colorful room with the best view the villa offers. The suite has a small walk-in closet, a gorgeous tub in the bedroom, a comfortable bed adorned with a sweeping canopy, and a spacious bathroom with marble double sinks and the most amazing tiled shower. There were small touches which added to our comfort such as a fresh jar of water by our bed each night to closing the shutters and blinds for the evening. We also took advantage of the villa's free DVD rentals and watched a couple movies on the high definition 3D flat screen television in our room (yes, they even have 3D glasses you can borrow).

At breakfast, there is a spread of breads, warm croissants, salumi and cheese, jams, fruit, yogurt, cereal, and fresh juices. Add to that a nice cappuccino and we had a perfect start to every morning. In the afternoon, we would enjoy a glass of Prosecco in the sunny garden (the cute bar is open 8am to midnight).

What makes Villa Bordoni a 5-star for me is its phenomenal restaurant. We planned a whirlwind trip across Italy and this was to be the "relaxing" part of our journey. Once we arrived at the villa, we didn't leave. For three straight days, we enjoyed lunch and dinner in the restaurant. The food is fantastic and the chef, Colin, is hugely talented. I'll go into more detail on the restaurant's separate TripAdvisor page. This was some of the BEST food we had in Italy. We also did the cooking class with Colin one afternoon and it ended up being our favorite dinner of the week. We made focaccia bread, fresh spaghetti pasta, pomodoro sauce, chicken thighs with artichokes, and tiramisu. I'm an avid cook but I definitely learned a few tips and techniques I can't wait to try at home. I highly recommend the cooking class - it's worth every cent!

I can't write this review without mentioning the excellent staff at Villa Bordoni. Every person we encountered was a consummate professional. The owners have done a great job at hand selecting fine individuals to help run this villa. Because it's a small operation, each person needs the willingness and ability to handle a variety of possible tasks. I have to say they achieved this flawlessly.

My husband and I feel so fortunate to have spent a few wonderful days of our honeymoon at Villa Bordoni. It truly is a special place - the kind that already has us talking about when we can come back again.

------------------
A quick note about getting to/from Villa Bordoni if you do not have a rental car. We took a SITA bus from Florence SMN to the center of Greve in Chianti (about €3 and only 1 hour). Then the villa arranged for us to be picked up (small fee of €15). This is a really easy and low-cost option if you don't want to spend a ton of money on a private driver to/from Florence.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Day B
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at VB for Easter. Wonderful property off the beaten path in Greve...the staff and owners are attentive to every detail. There is no need to venture anywhere else for food when you have a kitchen like the one here!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

As a small business owner it is refreshing to see other small businesses that embrace work place culture and strive to provide excellent customer service. After all, how can small businesses distinguish themselves when competing against some of the large power houses of your industry unless they can excel at providing an excellent customer experience. My wife and I traveled to Villa Bordoni with 2 other couples and spent 4 nights with them. Our only regret and the one thing that I we are upset about is that we could not stay longer. The hotel is an old Tuscan villa that has been transformed into a very comfortable and warm boutique hotel. The outside gardens and grounds are well maintained and beautiful in the morning while eating breakfast on the outside terrace. We ate dinner two evenings at the hotel and the food and service was excellent. We felt that everyone at Villa Bordoni was genuinely concerned with making sure that our needs and expectations were met. Every once in a while you have the priviledge of staying at a hotel where you make a connection with the staff and when you leave you feel that you are saying goodbye to new friends. We wish David, Catherine and their staff the best and can't wait until we can go back and stay with them again in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I love this abode,a converted 16th century country house,once a rundown estate,now transformed into a guesthouse that lends a touch of elegance and extravagance to the rustic Tuscan style.

The colours of each room take up the hues of the original Vietri tiles in the bathroom,rustic objects such as iron baskets or the doors of chicken coops morph into lampshades or wall ornaments and curtains dyed by hand,frame the windows.....in order to enjoy the wonderful views.

With that in mind,book a room on the first floor. Its absolute magic with restorative ability. The restaurant is a gem,its walls adorned with a harlequin pattern of Italian vine leaves and Scottish Thistles. Why Scottish?... the owners exchanged the highlands for the Tuscan hills and have fielded two restaurants in Florence,which is why this nosh eatery is a must-attend.

Its only 30 km from Florence,with a status as heavenly. We relaxed to the max by the pool which is therapeutic and beautifully and serenely decorated.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night in June. We thoroughly enjoyed everything about this villa. The location, dining, vistas, accommodations, staff .. all superb. Looking forward to returning. Wish we had stayed longer. If I ever run away from home this is where my family will find me.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Castello Vicchiomaggio
#3 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
11 mi away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
12 mi away
Villa Cora
Villa Cora
#6 of 410 in Florence

Been to Villa Bordoni? Share your experiences!