“No complaints! Wonderful”

Hotel Principe Palace
Ranked #9 of 252 Hotels in Jesolo
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel 20-27th, greeted by staff on arrival very quick to check in large group of people. I had a room on second floor very spacious! Room facing a local bar, but once balcony door was closed couldnt hear a thing! In regards to the cycle race on the main piazzi it was noisy but finished by early afternoon, as this is an annual event in memory of a young gentlemen who passed away tragically!!! I think this acceptable!! We took the thompson trip venice by day & night this day so buses where running early afternoon after race finished. In regards to the trip guide helpful, gondola only 18euros pp! But when we travelled in on our own which is very easy, you get tickets from bus stop 5euros return and boat tickets are 23 euros for 48hrs use of boats and water taxis, this suited us more as we got to see a lot more of venice! In regards to beach sellers there was a few but a simple no thankyou was sufficient enough and they would leave. Food in hotel was lovely a few nights we didnt fancy anything on menu we went to local places eg al torcio lovely food & very reasonable. As it was end of season some of the bars etc closed so spent most evenings in hotel bar house wine is lovely but more importantly the bar staff where excellent! This hotel is well known for its excellent staff and it shows! Only problem was mosquito bites

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Smith-x8x

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Compared with other Thomson Platinum hotels we have stayed in this is not deserving of Platinum status as advertised by Thomson
(They should be charged under the trades description act)
We visited the 13th September till the 20th, on arrival the front of the hotel and the public areas resemble 4 **** quality, unfortunately the rest of it including the roof top pool area are closer to 3*** , we had requested a room overlooking the piazza, on speaking to other very angry guests who had rear dark rooms we were very lucky , however the problem with the front rooms is the noise we sometimes couldn’t get to sleep until 3.40 am, and about 6.30 am the council would be in the piazza cleaning it. I believe it had recently been refurbished with a laminate floor and freshly painted walls, the bathroom though is dated the taps need replacing and the quadrant shower cubicle is tiny, however the hotel is spotless throughout and the staff are very pleasant,
We normally had breakfast at 9 am, although I was happy with the breakfast, my wife on two occasions asked for the uncut bread to be replenished, on both occasions the waitress said we have no more bread, on the second occasion my wife confronted Andre the maître-d , he explained that they only allow 3 uncut loaves per day, the same happened with the sachets of strawberry jam on this occasion she was informed no jam today maybe tomorrow, this I might add in a hotel where every one of the 100 rooms were full, this equates to approximately 200 guests, i.e. 1 loaf to every 66 people, ( Jesus of Nazareth had more loaves than this hotel) the evening food wasn’t much better, I now realize why a lot of reviewers rave about the usual holiday buffet style salad that was on offer, you had to eat a lot of this because you never knew how edible the mains would be, on only two occasions did we have a very nice main the rest of the time wasn’t so nice, in fact on two evenings Andre the maître-d came to our table to enquire why my wife had returned her food .
After an evening stroll we would return to the hotel bar, weather permitting we would sit on the ground floor terrace. With a very reasonable 2.50 euro glass of pinot grigiot which would increase in volume as the night wore on, served by the very pleasant and helpful bar staff, the hotel was mainly occupied by friendly Brits who shared common complaints about rooms and food quality. In particular Tina, Jackie, Barry and Joyce who kept us entertained with their pleasant company.
after getting over the disappointment of it not actually warranting Thomson Platinum status, (Thomson’s fault not the hotels) We actually enjoyed our stay here however if we were to return to Lido we would probably look slightly further down the street were the hotel has brand new apparently spacious apartments for let. This area appears to have new modern developments,
Word of warning, you are constantly harassed on the beach by the lucky lucky men and the Oriental massage-ee women who could be very persistent and mutter about the English in a derogatory manner. We have never experienced such a volume of sellers in any other resort. Especially as we never seen anyone buying from them and there is supposedly a 7,000 euro fine for buying there tat. We noticed they could be particularly intimidating to lone women

Room Tip: realize that this is only a 3*** hotel, and you wont be to dissapointed
9  Thank 5,913
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and myself have just returned from a two week holiday at the Hotel Principe Palace.

My first suggestion before going on holiday would be to email the hotel a few weeks prior to your arrival to request the position of your room and dining table in the restaurant. I asked for and got a room on the third floor facing the square and a table by the window. It may not always be possible for the hotel to sort this out but it worked for us and is worth a try.

Our bedroom was a reasonable size, well equipped, spotlessly clean, good comfortable bed and had no noise problems from within or outside the hotel.

We agree with most reviews that the staff are excellent. They are friendly, helpful and a credit to the hotel. Aimee, the Thomson Rep., was also very professional and always seemed to have a smile when talking to her.

The food was of good quality and plentiful. Do not expect your main course to be as large as at home. However, by the time you have had the salad bar,starter,main course and desert you will certainly be full. Also do not forget you are in Italy and be prepared to eat their food cooked the way they like it.

We thought the Thomson excursions were overpriced and found buying tickets from the tobacconist no problem and far cheaper.Our favourite was the Venice and islands tickets. Go early to the islands first to avoid some of the inevitable crowds. We found the experience effortless and with almost no problems. We did get on a water taxi going to Venice that left us in the wrong area but the ticket allowed us to jump on another taxi to get to where we wanted to go.

The new Tourist Tax of one euro per person per day for a maximum of seven days was unexpected by ourselves and remember you have to pay it in cash the night before you leave.

We agree with most of the good comments and advice from previous reviewers and have to say we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday in a well run hotel and were lucky enough to have mainly good weather whilst staying in the Hotel Principe Palace.

Room Tip: Email your requests to the hotel a few weeks before going.
3  Thank GJackson123
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The Principe Palace is an excellent hotel the staff are very proud of their service and will do their very best to make your holiday perfect.
Before arriving I had emailed the hotel asking for a front facing room and a private dinner table overlooking the piazza and this is exactly what we got on arrival! Yes you can hear people moving around in other rooms and the running water can be loud however at 7.30am aren't most people already up and getting ready for their day? You don't go on holiday to spend your days sitting in the hotel bedroom, I wouldn't let the complaints of noise put you off booking this hotel as it really is something and nothing. I heard our rep dealing with quite a few complaints about the rooms on the back of the hotel, while I can understand the views aren't the best kicking up a fuss in front of other guests is uncalled for. As the hotel was full im not sure what these people wanted the rep to do!
Talking of the rep, she was brilliant. Dealt with the rude people with patience and a smile doing as much as she possibly could to solve the issues guests had. At the welcome meeting she gave clear, detailed information on all of the excursions available and worked her way down the queue of people booking excursions quickly.
My boyfriend and I booked 3 excursions and were not disappointed. It is cheaper to do Venice by yourself (we paid 9euros each for a return bus & boat ticket) however we did get lost so I do recommend taking the Thomson excursion first. Getting lost in Venice is half the fun though, a private gondola ride is much better than the group ones from the excursion. I would suggest taking one in the Dorsodoro area as it is a peaceful area, not much traffic and less tourists.
Moving back onto the hotel. The food is far from bland! The buffet is a simple salad buffet with a few little extras where you can take as much as you want. The starters and mains were delicious, especially the Gnocchi! There is a free bottle of sparkling wine in your room on arrival and I was also offered a free bottle of wine in the restaurant on my birthday! The cocktails in the downstairs bar are amazing priced at 5E and 6E each.
The rooms aren't massive but they are big enough, with a hair dryer, fridge and safe. A small selection of toiletries in the bathroom and slippers and extra bed sheets in the wardrobe. Oh and a few sweets left on the bedside table. The wifi is slow but works well enough for a little light browsing. I managed to send a few hi res photos home each night so it did its job for me.

I have stayed in quite a few Thomson platinum hotels and this is certainly one of their best 4stars. Its a great base for seeing Venice and Verona, considerably cheaper than staying in the centre of Venice too. I can see why people return to this hotel time and time again.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly before arriving and they will do their best meet your requests. The first...
2  Thank HeidiElizabeth7
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We booked our holiday with Top Flight and from the beginning to the end of the holiday it ran very smoothly. The hotel itself was quite, comfortable and extremely clean. The staff were very professional and friendly. We had a front room overlooking the square which we would recommend as it gets plenty of sun and is still quite at night. The food at dinner time is plentiful with loads to choose from. The pool is situated on the roof with excellent panoramic views. Their beach is a short distance away from the hotel with plenty of sun beds to choose from. At the pool there is a Snack Bar which serves beautiful pizza at a very reasonable price. There is also bicycles available free of charge on a first come first served basis (8 adult and 2 children's bikes). We spent a portion of every day sitting in front of the hotel under the canopy watching the life on the square go by with a wide choice of cocktails, beers, wines, teas, coffees as well as soft drinks available from the bar. The waiters were excellent and attentive. We really enjoyed ourselves and came back from our holiday thoroughly relaxed and refreshed.

Room Tip: Front of hotel as it gets the sun on the balcony, because from speaking to other guests who were sit...
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The majority of the reviews for this hotel do not state many general issues that we found and surely we cannot be the only ones to experience them.
Some brief good points first though: a complimentary bottle of sparking wine is provided in your room on arrival; free use of safe, fridge and slippers and air con are also provided in your room.
However, if you are allocated a rear facing room you will be very disappointed as you overlook the hotel's back yard and just rooftops and your holiday experience will be massively different to having a front room facing the Piazza with more sunshine and people watching etc.
All balconies (front and rear) are small and you are very close with no privacy whatsoever between you and fellow guests.
Room walls are paper thin and take ear plugs so you can't hear all the noises coming from adjacent rooms, such as other guests talking, snoring, TV's on loud, doors creaking, toilets flushing, taps running, the lift cleaners moving furniture - and all from 6.30/7.00am every day and very late in the evening.
There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, only around the reception area, which is a pain.
Beware of a full room for the welcome meeting on the Saturday morning as you may not get a seat if your are late and you can also wait up to 1.5hrs wait to book any trips with the rep.
The restaurant is located on the 4th floor. Don't stay on this floor as can be noisy when guests are queuing and coming and going to and from the restaurant.
Your table in the restaurant is already allocated on arrival and you eat at the same one all week. However, if you are allocated a rear facing room surely the hotel should allocate you a table immediately beside the front window overlooking the Piazza, but they don't even think of this to make up for it!
The food on the set menu (4 options for starter and main, ordered the day before) could be better, it is bland, tasteless, no vegetables, however you can order almost anything off menu such as steak or fish which was so much better! The self-service salad bar is nothing special. Bread for toast is very thin. This is not 4 star food, no matter what you read on other reports.
After our meal each evening we were able to finish our bottle of wine outside the front of the bar which was nice.
Note coach pick up for Manchester is 7.20 am every Friday, however the restaurant still opens for breakfast at the normal time of 7.00am, plus other guests leaving later for Gatwick at 8.10am are also queuing at 7.00! They should open at say 6.30am or split the guests up as it is a rush for all and hardly any time to sort out tea/coffee. No cooked food is offered that morning.
Some local information for you:
The main tourist road to the left and right out of the front of the hotel stretches 15kms. There are many shops, restaurants and bars along the whole way and it is a nice relaxing walk, with no hassle from any shop or restaurant owners.
There is a beach stretching a similar 15 kms, with lovely sand and many sunbeds, deckchairs and parasols. Each hotel has a specific area providing free use of the sunbeds etc. The sunbeds are hard though with no cushions and no towels provided.
Sky Sports (inc football) is shown in the hotel events room and bar.
A bottle of Pinot Grigio is 3.50 Euro from the shop behind the hotel.
English newspapers are sold at the side of the hotel, but be early to ensure you get one.
To arrange your own trips to Venice and also the islands such as Murano and Burano (also lovely) first get the No 5 bus to the port (Punta Sabbioni) from Piazza Internationale (located a few hundred yards behind the hotel). Get to the bus stop early otherwise you will be standing on a fast bus for half an hour, or go to the bus station. At the port it is easy to get on to the boats. Total cost 23 Euro from the Tabacci shop opposite the hotel for unlimited travel all day, including the water buses in Venice, great value compared to Thomson's trips.
Tourist tax of 1 Euro per person per night only applies during the summer months and ends mid-September. You must pay this in cash to the hotel upon departure.
I will finish off and say this is a lovely resort - and you must do some trips - but do not expect a four star hotel.

Room Tip: So much better to have a front facing room overlooking the Piazza for the sun and people watching...
2  Thank IHStockport
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I am adding some facts here to assist people going there. I am not stating any opinions. These are some of the kind of things I like to know before I visit a hotel but can be hard to find out.(I went there 06 -13 Sept 2013 with Thomson)

Bicycles: The hotel has 8 bicycles. You can borrow them free of charge. They are single speed (no gears- but it is flat round the area). They have no lights. You have to sign a form saying you will pay 200 euros if you lose it (eg stolen whilst you have it). It comes with a lock. The form says you have to return it within 2-3 hours. I got the impression the time limit was not critical. When I was there it seemed some bikes were available all of the time as I could see them from my balcony (in the back yard).

Computer: There is one PC for use in conference room (it is pentium 4 1.6ghz so about 10 yrs old). There is a notice on it which says 1 euro per hour charge. I am not sure how the use/charge is monitored as it seemed to be left logged onto windows and you could just sit down and use it.

Wifi: on ground floor and pool area (roof). could not pick up signal in my 3rd floor room. Their website says they make a charge, but I found they did not. Go to reception and ask for wifi password. They will ask you how many days. They then print out a slip of paper with the wifi router password on and two additional password which you need after connecting to the wifi router. You need separate passwords for each wifi device you have.

Dinner: Salad bar/rolls etc (serve yourself),then starter and main course brought to you by waiter, desert - you go up and get it. Choice of 4 starters, choice of 4 main course. You make your choices of starter and main one day in advance.

Drinks with evening meal. You can not pay for these as you go, they will be added to your bill which you pay at end of holiday. eg. 20cl coke/fanta 2.50euro, 1 litre bottle coke/fanta 5 euro. Bottle of wine varies around 18 euro. 75cl bottle water 3.50 euro. If you do not finish your bottles they will put it back on your table the following evening. (you always sit at the same table with your room number on). Bills over 60 euro can be paid by card, under 60 euro then cash only.

Evening meal time: walk in anytime 7-9pm (you can start just before 9, you do not have to be out by nine)

Breakfast times/food: 7.30am- 10am. All serve yourself, bacon/eggs/sausages/rolls/cold ham/croissants/pain au chocolat/cereal etc.If you go on an early Thomson excursion they will open earlier but you won't get the full range.

Car Park: website says they have a car park. They do have some spaces in back yard. From the size I would say you should definitely NOT assume there will space for you if you do have a car with you.

Bus station: about 20 min (brisk walk) or 30min (more realistic) walk away. There is a bus stop about 2-3mins from back of hotel. The bus stops there on way to Punta Sabbioni (which is where you get the boat to Venice). And you can get bus in opposite direction from there to bus station.

Tourist Tax: when you leave you have to pay (in cash) 1 euro per person per night. A lot of people did not know this. I only knew from reading reviews in advance.

Swimming Pool (on roof) seems to be one depth throughout, I would say just under 5 feet depth.

Sun Beds: when you come out the door on 5th floor to pool area you see sun beds / bar etc to your left. There are some steps to your right that go up to a higher patio/terrace area that has more sunbeds but it’s easily missed.

Electricity: in your room is a notice saying you can not use any electrical items you bring with you. The Thomson Rep (Amy) then told us at welcome meeting that you can use your own hair driers. Our hair drier was on a few minutes and then all the electricity went off in our room. I phoned reception who instantly told me that it must have been because we used a hair dryer (before I mentioned the hair drier) and they told me we are not to do so. They had to come upstairs to reset the circuit breaker/fuse at the end of the corridor.So be warned.(there is a fixed hair drier in the bathroom).

Plug sockets: I found that there are three different plug socket styles in this hotel (varying diameters of pins and varying distance between pins). They look standard until you try to put your travel plug in them.

I hope all or some of this is useful to people so they are not left wondering.

(PS, went on two excursions booked through rep, both times the guide was Stefano who is Italian with a Scottish accent - he was very good)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple