“A fun day but AVOID from June-August!”
Review of Aquashow Park

Aquashow Park
Ranked #2 of 49 things to do in Quarteira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Aquashow Park is the best and largest Water Park and Theme Park of Portugal, in Algarve, in Quarteira. We are open from 1st of May to 30th of September from 10.00 a.m., with different closing hours depending on the month. In the Water Park you will find the greatest diversity of slides for all ages where the whole family can enjoy together. Each year we always open new attractions and 2016 will be no exception, we will inaugurate a slide, unprecedented in Portugal, where you will enjoy new experiences (for people over 1.20 m of height) and for the little ones we will have multiple new slides that will awake a world of water sensations. If you like to test your limits and adrenaline to the maximum, you have to try the biggest Free Fall of Europe, inaugurated by the surfer Garrett McNamara. The entire family will be able to enjoy many moments at the Theme Park, one of them will be on the biggest Water Coaster of Europe, among other attractions that are waiting for you. At the disposal of those who visit us we have different services: snacks bars, lockers rental kiosks, souvenir shop and photo service. We want you to spend your vacation and unforgettable moments with us!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My partner and I went to Aquashow when we were in Portugal (staying in the Oceanus - brilliant hotel), from the 1st to the 9th September. Locals advise to avoid, avoid, AVOID attractions like this in high summer as you'll spend most of your day getting sunburnt in looooonnnggg queues, but at this time of year its better with waits of around 10 to 20 minutes.
The rides are varied and fun - some leaving us more wowed than others - and the park as a whole is very safe with close supervision everywhere. Good for families.
Most of the food places were closed when we went (due to end of season, I expect) so take a packed lunch or snacks with you. Lockers available to hire for a deposit of 7 Euros. Most park photos cost 10 Euros but are very nice.
Swimming with the sealions: most people I heard say its fun but not really worth the money, but it is worth keeping an eye for photo sessions with the sealions for just 10 euros! The animals spend a lot of time in a smaller pool which is used for swimming sessions, which some people seemed to (stupidly) think was their actual enclosure - in fact the animals are healthy and stimulated.
Lots of areas for picnicking but take towels to sit on as people 'reserve' picnic tables when they arrive by leaving their stuff on them (which shouldn't really be allowed in my opinion but there it is).
All in all a fun day - we booked through Expose from opening to closing, which on reflection might have been a little too long for us but probably not if you have kids or go in high summer.

1  Thank JodyE_89
Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We went on a Sunday (in September) and experienced minimal queues. I thought going at a weekend would be a recipe for long queues but someone suggested that it is changeover day. That was great advice.

OK, we queued for 30 minutes for the rollercoaster but I myself liked the "hard" rides e.g. "Air Race" & "Top Swing" (thumbnail photos at http://park.aquashowparkhotel.com/?p=tema&pg=3&lang=pt & http://park.aquashowparkhotel.com/?p=tema&pg=15&lang=pt respectively) which were sited 50 feet from each other and which there was no queuing for. I literally got off one and walked straight onto the other, and shuttled between the two. I did that half a dozen times before starting to feel that I had overdone it - but came back later to do it again. Suffice it to say that my aerial views of the park were as much inverted as right way up!

They are both great rides. Top Swing gives you that great "butterflies-in-the-stomach-as-you-go-over-a-hump-back-bridge" feeling.

Get a locker key on entry from the shop (go through main entrance and then visit the shop in the building immediately to the left of the main entrance). It costs 3 Euros plus a returnable 7 Euro deposit. It's a fair walk back from the lockers if you don't and you want to get on the popular rides e.g. the rollercoaster asap.

For reasons unknown to me, there is a set of turnstiles in the middle of the park which you have to go through to access the other half of the park. I suppose it is a crowd safety measure (but there were no crowds when we visited). We went through here to get to our lockers and then climbed a small hill. At the top on the right there is a large water area for young children, approximately the area of 6 tennis courts and with water about 1 foot deep. There is a cafe and toilet block adjacent to it. OK, this is dull but important - a tiny tots toilet tip. We made the mistake of keeping of taking our daughter to the adult toilets here, completely unaware for most of the day that on the adjacent side of the same toilet block there are dedicated, superb, unisex kiddie toilets which you enter straight from the water. There are half a dozen tiny toilets down the left wall with pink partitions, and half a dozen tiny toilets down the right wall with blue partitions. On the wall facing you is a row of tiny washbasins, all under knee height. My daughter loved it. We thought it a great idea not least because it encourages kids to use the toilet instead of the, err, pool - as I said, you enter straight from the water area through a large open front (there is no door, just a large opening, but you can't see the toilets through the opening). I only discovered it late in the day and heard another parent saying she wished she had discovered it earlier.

We had no problem with the photos with animals. Staff tried to take a photo of us literally as we entered the park (the first I knew was when they were taking our bags off us without saying anything which I disliked) - I simply politely declined and we were never bothered again, anywhere in the park. Those who pay for photos are subsidising your visit... Having said that, I saw plenty of people having their photos taken and some looked good.

Where to dump your towels? We took lockers in the children's area (there are three locker blocks at various locations). To the left of those lockers is a wall. The shade there increased during the day and was a good spot. Another good area (but far less central) was in the shade of the "White Fall" (see photos at http://park.aquashowparkhotel.com/?p=aqua&pg=6&lang=pt). The latter got more popular as the day progressed.

Buy your tickets in advance - many ordinary shops sell them with a 15% discount. Under 5s are free.

This isn't a world leader in water parks (hence my star rating) and we went with that in mind. I like "tough" rides but even I had a great time, as did my wife and daughter.

1  Thank Alwaysinthewater
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We went here spent the whole day and it was great. The parrot show was great and lots happening theme park aswell as a water park

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a large park with some attractions perhaps unnecessarily spread out; there is quite a lot to do. It does have areas/slides for a wide range of ages. Have to say it was predictably very busy with queues for most slides and some areas crammed full. Seemed strange that you had to wait for a ring to come available in the pool. For the cost we came away slightly disappointed.

Maybe if we went again it would seem better but to be honest I don't think we will.