“Cheap getaway but very, very poor food!!”
Review of Hotel Atismar

Hotel Atismar
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Quarteira
“Cheap getaway but very, very poor food!!”
Reviewed 23 March 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 1 week as we had got a very cheap deal.
The location isn't too bad, as it is right next to the beach, but at this time of the year it is very quiet, although this was expected. We tended to just go round the corner to the Irish bar on a night, as this is where it seemed most people went, therefore creating a bit of atmosphere as everywhere else severely lacked this! Also Baz, the owner, is a very nice bloke and made us feel very welcome. Note the beer at the Irish bar is actually cheaper than in the hotel as well!

The hotel itself is clean and the maids did come every day, although I'm not sure if towels were changed every day. The rooms are very dated and did feel a bit like being in a prison cell. They desperately need a lick of paint and a few pictures on the wall atleast..!

Unfortunately, what really let the place down was the food and drink. Now we knew going all inclusive, for the cheap price we paid, that it wasn't going to be Michelin star food but surely it's not too difficult to put food out that literally is that off-putting it makes you gip just by looking at it. All we (and several other guests) seemed to eat every night were chip butty's. I will eat most things and even try new things, even if it doesn't look that great, but I can honestly say the cooked food was vile!!
As for the waiting staff, the young lass clearing tables; what a miserable cow! I didn't see her crack a smile in the whole week we were there. She clearly hates her job and I can start to realise why as she probably had to deal with holiday makers complaining about the food every day, it was that bad! As for the older woman; I was told I wasn't even allowed to get a bottle of water with my breakfast as the bar doesn't open until 11am. I offered to pay for the bottle as I wasn't feeling very well (even though we were all inclusive) and was again told no because the bar doesn't open till 11am, bearing in mind the bar is approximately 5 metres away from the dining area. I then had to ask at reception for some water which eventually after a few words back and forth, noting I wasn't well, he went behind the bar and got me one. How difficult can it be??
Also one night at 9:55pm, bearing in mind the all inclusive bar shuts at 10pm, I queued at the bar to get last orders in. I waited nearly 10 minutes as the chap behind the bar was doing something in the kitchen (just in the back). When he finally arrived I ordered my drinks and was told that all inclusive had finished. I found him very rude when I mentioned the fact he had been in the back for 10 minutes. We left and got drinks elsewhere.
I must mention one bloke, who worked most days on the bar, called Andre who was actually very helpful and did make us feel welcome. I think the rest of the staff need to "take a leaf out of his book", as the saying goes...

To summarise; if we were to go back to the Algarve we would not stay at this hotel again. Although luckily we met some very nice people so we didn't let the crap food and (most of) the ignorant staff ruin our holiday. We would definitely visit Baz at the Irish bar and probably go at a busier time of year.

Stayed March 2012
5 Thank Chris W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
portree
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Just back 19th March. Hotel was ok and the staff very helpfull, apart from the staff in the
diningroom.Apart from the so called food that was rustled up and was disgusting. Somtimes
you had to guess what it was who the hell the cook was i don,t know I have used the term
cook becouse and not Chef!! I saw one of the staff who where clearing the tables pick up paper knapkin off a plate which had been used by a guest and she then started to clean the crumbs from the table with it!! And that did it for me. the hotel itself is fine. Very central for shops etc, and the bus station is approx 7min walk.Change the cook and the girls who clear
the tables and I may go back.

Room Tip: My wife and stayed in room 10 floor room 9 good seaview
2 Thank PortreeAndycapp
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Hotel itself including rooms and staff excellent. Same can't be said for food
which was stodgy, bland and lacked variety and imagination
Four stars for hotel, two for food
Probably just as well only stayed for one week otherwise would have been
eating out more often than not

Room Tip: Get a sea facing from 7th floor up for great views
3 Thank Anneh41241
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My partner and I stayed here at the end of April 2011. It was a budget mini break, so was not sure what to expect. But we were very surprised. The reception staff were very helpful, chatty, friendly & multi lingual.
Our bedroom was basic, but large with two balconies & a lovely marble bathroom. Our room was cleaned everyday, with towels refreshed etc. There is a wall mounted tv, but only has 2 English channels, but your on holiday...who needs tv!, there is also aircon & heating.
The breakfast was a selection of cereals, breads, sweet meats and eggs, with sides of jams, cheese etc. Again the breakfast staff were very polite and helpful, although they do not speak any English, so take your phrase book, they will really appreciate the effort.
The hotel is one row away from the very clean and pretty sea front, So lovely sea views from the upper hotel floors and great location for after dinner walks and sun bathing.
We did noy eat lunch or dinner at the hotel so cannot comment. However there are so many places to eat along the sea front and they cater for all taste and budget.
To my taste the hotel was a little dated, but very efficiently run and very clean. Oh and the lift is very slow and small.
There is also a hotel pool, but we never used it so again cannot comment.
To sum up a lovely budget hotel, with nice, helpful staff. There is not much activity in Quarteira, but it's a lovely place to visit for sun and relaxation, the old town is amazing for exploring. Very enjoyable.
P.S : The weather @ end of April was approx 27 degrees, but gets a little chilly at night, so take a jumper. Oh and you have to take a trip to Loule, its beautiful!! and only a 30 min bus trip, from the local bus station. The bus station is only 200yds approx from the hotel.
Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Take a room on a higher floor, as you get the evening sun and a beautiful sea view over the rooftops...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nikki-thedeak
bridgwater
Reviewed 18 March 2012

just got back from a 6 night stay at the hotel atismar we had a great time.hotel very clean food was good but not a big choice but we never went hungry staff were all very helpful and friendly only draw back was there was no entertaiment .theres a few bars a couple of minutes away fantasia seems the one with something on every night pool darts quiz and kareokie.theres a lovely walk along the promenarde keep going on to villamora its marinia and resturants and casino but its a little more exspensive over there .quarteira has one of the longest beaches weve ever seen and cleaned daily . quarteira is a lot quiter than alberfuria more of a cafe culture some guests ate out and gave good reports . transfer times about 25 mins

Room Tip: corner suites are larger 2 balconys
3 Thank stevewoodsBridgwater
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Just returned today from this hotel and although i had a fabulous holiday i can honestly say the hotel did not play any part whatsover.The hotel is clean and our room had 2, although small, baloncies. Andre the barman and the blonde breakfast waitress, whos name we didnt get, were lovely but the rest of the staff couldnt so much as crack a smile.One barman who was actually asked by a guest jokingly to smile replied "i'll smile when i have something to smile about"We tried chatting with staff who totally blanked us. There was no loud or drunken guests in hotel so we couldnt put it down to clientelle problems.The all inclusive was laughable,The only mixers were FLAT coke or lemonade from a plastic bottle and the cans which were 1.80 euro ran out, as did the beer.The food EVERY night was vegetable soup, 1 meat dish, 1 fish dish with rice brocolli or chips and the only snacks available between lunch and dinner was a cheese and ham toastie.We ate and drank out every day and ended up spending a fortune on what was supposed to be a cheap getaway.Ther is a bus station just along the road and you can buy a weekly ticket for 35 euro that is definately worth getting as the bus service is very good.If you do go to this hotel stick to b&b and dont expect any kind of hospitality from the employees!!

Room Tip: The higher the better. We were in 801, corner room with a good view and 2 balonies
6 Thank kirstene1

Travellers are raving about these Quarteira hotels

blackpool
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We returned from the astimar last week, checkin was prompt and efficient, we requested a high floor room after reading previous reviews. This was given, we had room 1001. The room had 2 balconies, one sea facing the other towards the road.
Room was clean if a little dated. Please note ladies hair dryers are not provided, which for a 3 star I was a little surprised. . The bathroom was clean, but the bath does look as though it has seen better days. Water pressure very good for showering.
We found all staff to be very pleasant, and happy to help with any queries we had. A big thank you to Andre,the barman, and Andrea our lovely waitress, . All staff work long hours, but we found always with a smile. I definitely think the staff make this hotel, and especially Andre and Andrea customer service skills were very good.
Breakfast was the normal buffet style, only ate cereal and toast. As the food temperature was not hot enough for my liking. But this does seem to be a regular thing abroad.
We were on an all inclusive basis, so we did not go with any great expectations as far as the food was concerned, the food is repetitive, if you like rice, chips pork or fish. You will be fine. There is always a salad option this was crisp and fresh. Veg soup everyday, after a week I don't think I could face another chip. Lol. But having said this. For what we paid I would still say it was good value for money.
The astimar offers free wifi, in the public areas, which was very handy and was used by many.
Rooms were cleaned everyday, and fresh towels left as and when required, and toiletries replenished as required. The beds are a little on the firm side, and the kind housekeeping staff provided my husband with a softer mattress to ease his back pain. So a big thank you ladies.
Overall we enjoyed our holiday at the astimar, we met some lovely people, the weather was great. The location was perfect, for walking along the promenade, we walked to villamora marina, 30 min stroll. Took a bus to alburferia, 8.40 return per person. Faro is 8.00 euro return.
Overall this hotel does what it says on the tin. Clean , friendly budget hotel with a great location. Improve the menu, put hair dryers in the rooms, this could be a great hotel. But as the old saying goes , (you get what you pay for)
Would we go again, for a cheap break YES. Basically if you want 5 star, then don't pay 3 star prices.

• Stayed February 2012
6 Thank BlackpoolWaverley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quarteira
Dom Jose Beach Hotel
#71 of 154 in Albufeira
Hotel Zodiaco
Hotel Zodiaco
#22 of 48 in Quarteira

Been to Hotel Atismar? Share your experiences!