“Great Relaxing Hotel, Central to Everything”

Dom Jose Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Quarteira
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The first thing that stood out for me was the seamless hassle-free transfer from airport to hotel. Then, when I checked in, Reception was very accommodating (everyone on the desk was, all during the 10 days I was there), taking care of the cool bag for my device/medication in their own fridge, no problem, no charge Most importantly for me as I wanted a relaxing holiday, I found this hotel & general surroundings nicely quiet. I was one of the younger guests (well, at 45, comparatively!), but this actually suits me, personally. My room was on the 3rd floor, I wasn't even aware of the 'live entertainment' until I saw it advertised on the noticeboard after the weekend! & I got my sea-view room as guaranteed! It was lovely to fall asleep to & wake up to the sound of waves. Well worth paying for. A/C might be a bit noisy but I got used to it, and give me that any time to the boom-boom of nightclubs til 3 in the morning!

I could even have availed of the massage service (enquire at Reception, can have it in your hotel room, there's a menu of different types of massage & prices, and would've been lovely I'd imagine ... but then I went for a walk and saw these services on the beach, so I booked a Deep Relax one on Praia Azul for the Sunday evening (day before I flew home), thank you Christina!! Balcony was a nice enough size to sit & relax & take shelter from the sun. The room was lovely, nice laminate wooden floor as opposed to the usual tiles. I loved the decor, and the bathroom's decor.

Hotel lovely and clean throughout. The cubicle shower was nice & big, the water pressure great (although for some reason it turned my hair into a ball of frizz, but that might've been just the rubbish shampoo I brought. Thankfully I brought conditioner & serum!). The soap & shower gel in the bathroom was lovely & saw me through 'til I bought my own shower gel in the supermercado).

Good bar food where I 'dined' a few times. I went B&B and it was nice to have the option of staying put at the hotel to eat or going to one of the numerous cafes along the promenade. I saw Picnic but never got around to eating there. I ate a few times at Girassol, it was "off the beaten track", nice people run it, lovely salads. Ate a couple of times at Shalimar, nice service, shame to have to pay extra for rice. Water: I found the big bottles for 50c in the supermercado vs. 85c everywhere else, 1.20 somewhere! I bought quite a lot of fruit at the supermercado, namely gorgeous big nectarines, plums, peaches, apricots. It was nice to have them as a refreshing snack back at the hotel or beach or sitting on the promenade. Back to the hotel, I enjoyed my breakfast, opting for the muesli every morning (I suppose there could've been a wider choice of cereals), the fresh cubed pineapple, orange slices, and watermelon were so refreshing, the cappuccino in one particular machine v. nice. Wasn't so mad about the croissants, I would've loved the really fresh buttery kind! But ate them most mornings anyway, sometimes with the pumpkin jam, sometimes with the small catering portions of honey or strawberry jam. And I didn't want to have toast - I can have sliced pan at home! I didn't like the scrambled egg, had some one morning for a fix of protein but it was ribbon-y and usual buffet style. I didn't have rashers or fried eggs at all. It was nice to be able to get more helpings of anything. I loved the way everything was replenished, the waiting staff very efficient & professional. No tables left cluttered for more than a few seconds.

I found getting to Vilamoura easy enough. Just had to cross the road at the town side, to the bus terminus. The (small) bus is brightly coloured, hard to miss and costs just 75c to get there. It beats paying €6 for a taxi & was nice & cool. The bus stop it left me at is also the stop to get the same bus to back to Quarteira. Straightforward. I wanted to stroll there one day but the promenade seems to come to an end. My sister in law however told me it continues again after a few feet.

When I ran out of the glossy magazines I'd bought at Dublin airport, it's great that there are books to read that other guests leave behind (beside the stairs on the ground floor), as I was solo. I saw that there's a policy forbidding guests to drape towels over balcony, I thought this a nice touch. Unfortunately I noticed some guests did indeed do this which is a bit ignorant. Also it's good that booking sunloungers is frowned on. I take it this refers to first thing in the morning as, after a couple of hours sunbathing, I left my towel on mind to go off and have lunch and come back after an hour or so & resume sunbathing, no-one seemed to mind! It was great to have the choice of sunbathing by the pool or, just feet away, getting more sea air on the beach. And renting a sunlounger on the sand is reasonable enough, €7 for an individual or €10 for a couple, you can leave your towel or something on it if you fancy taking a break for lunch at any time, and it's securely watched, you can stay there for oh probably 8 in the morning (?!) til 7 in the evening or when the sun finally goes down. It's lovely there in the morning when it's still overcast but there's a lovely breeze coming in off the Atlantic. Overall I really enjoyed my holiday, I would recommend the hotel highly. I wouldn't NOT go back but I like to go somewhere different every year.

Room Tip: Definitely book a sea-view room although I was told by another guest that even if you don't get...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank Noeleen D

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I arrived there really late, since the hotel was further than stated on the website (5 minutes to villamoura actually refers to a taxi/car driving distance, since it is 3 km). Relying on that I have stopped at a bus stop in Villamoura and since my phone was without battery I had to walk at night all the way..
The guy at the reception didn't really talk english and the reservation they made was for some reason on a different name, so it took me another 30 mins to actually get into the hotel room...It was 6:30 in the morning whereas I should have arrived at about 5...
They had no ironing in the room and no fridge (maybe they had these services as extra things which one had tyo pay for...however i stayed at a 2* hotel that had both in the room and in the price, so not sure it is supposed to be like that..), which is why some of the things I brought for a friend from Norway went bad. The shower's temperature was changing all of the sudden from cold to warm..
Lastly, when i asked for the bus i was told the next one was in 15 mins, when in reality it was about 1,5 hours!! So i ended up wasting even more time at the bus stop instead of doing something else.
The only reason I didn't rate the hotel as terrible was because of the fact that it looks very nice and clean. But then again I was here for a conference, so I couldn't really enjoy the room or pool since i was mostly away..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank anaccrv
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just back from Quarteira with my 26 yea old daughter. The majority of the guests at the hotel were at least 65+ but it didn't mar or enjoyment of the hotel or the fabulous beach right opposite it's doors. Staff very pleasant and helpful breakfast superb s much choice. Worth paying for a sea view room.
Restaurants you must eat at are Picnic this is along from the hotel on the right with very friendly staff and superb freshly cooked food, especially fish dishes just wonderful, Also a lovely Indian restaurant Shalimar great menu, grat quality of food and huge portions; sadly it's position is unfortunate tucked behind two public phone boxes just past the hotel. Please make sure you pay them all a visit. Cheap gifts, water and booze to be found in the shops on the street next to the hotel too. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank paddysuffolk
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel looks modern and newly renovated, more than what you would expect from a 3 star hotel.
We were upgraded to a suite on the 6th floor overlooking the sea. This was a pleasant surprise, and the view was stunning with the sounds of the waves so therapeutic.
This hotel is great value for money and we enjoyed walking along the promenade. The breakfasts were nice although a bit repetitive.
It was most welcome that guests were not allowed to "book" chairs at the pool with their towels. We were disappointed however that the hotel does not provided swimming towels so ensure that you take your own. Another disappointment for us was that "happy hour" was limited to a few drinks, cocktails not included.

Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank Serg_Christie
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a fab time rooms cleaned and towels changed everyday we used pool and beach and both excellent. If you want a quiet holiday this is the place. Vilamoura is about 30 minutes walking or 5 minutes in taxi .

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank tandacleaning
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for nine nights and really enjoyed it. The hotel is great the room a little small but has everything you need. Breakfast was good with plenty if choice . We stayed around the pool some days and want to the beach which is a short distance from the hotel on the other days. A lovely place which we will return to. Met some lovely people during our stay too. Would definitely recommend this hotel .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blakeygirl
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have just returned from a 10 night stay at Dom Jose we were met by very helpful reception staff.
On arrival to our rooms we were more than happy with our room although on the small side , it also could have done with a fridge and tea making facilities because being on the 6th you can't keep going up and downstairs for a cold drink or a cup of tea when you are in your room.

We paid extra for a sea view and balcony and I am glad we did as the rooms without a sea view were at the back of the hotel and only had a small window .

The balcony had a solid brick wall instead of a glass partition so you had to stand to look at the wonderful views.

The breakfast was very nice but the little cocktail sausages didn't go down well with the guest .
If you are a fussy eater then don't go half board ,there isn't much choice but what there is is nicely cooked ,but all the meat dishes are in sauce and salty .

I must mention all the staff especially Anna, they were very friendly and attentive nothing was too much trouble .

Quarteira is a very quiet resort with nothing much going on unless you like the World Cup ,that's when the resort got a bit lively when the matches were on .

It's a perfect resort if you want to relax and wind down like we did after hectic work lives .

There is a gypsy market on in the resort on Wednesdays it's located near the lidl about an hour walk from the resort centre or take a taxi for €10 return its cheaper than the bus which is €20 return !!

There is a long promenade and beautiful beaches but the sea is freezing , the pool area is very small and you will have to be early to get a decent bed that gets the sun all day.

The transfer from the hotel is about 30 mins so you are not long on the bus .

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sula_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quarteira
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel
Four Seasons Vilamoura
Four Seasons Vilamoura
#3 of 36 in Vilamoura

Been to Dom Jose Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!