We traveled on the 2nd July 2012 and arrived in funchal in great time.
We had a coach transfer from the airport to the hotel provided by Thomsons holiday.
The hotel is set on the pebbled beach in Canico its a fantastic location and has great walks around the hotel and area.
We were met in the foyer by the reception team and was dealt with quick and effectively. The manager of the hotel came out to personally greet us and inform us that as diamond Riu card holders we had been given an upgraded room. She asked us if we would like to view the room before we accept it. This we did and it was fantastic, it was a jnr Suite and was better than most caribbean suites. The food was great as it usually is in the Riu chain.
You get a choice of sittings in the restaurant and have the same table every night but can sit anywhere at breakfast.I have to mention our waitress called Teresa who was superb all week and after the first night she had the wine of our choice already in ice before we got to the table each night.Fantastic service. The pool area is quite small but was never over full and you could always get a loungers by the pool without having to save one first thing in the morning.
There is a little pool eating area thats not included in your half board but the food is great and reasonably priced.Wine is as cheap as coke............
Cannot believe people say the food was not great, it was just that, great.
Entertainment was not great but its there if you want to watch it however there is a great area around the bar to sit and relax and have a quiet drink.
The people in the hotel are of a more mature age and thats what makes this hotel a great place to stay as its quiet,relaxed and friendly.The only negative is that as its a Thomson hotel there are a few ignorant Germans who have no concept of what a queue is or what manners are, not all of them, as the guy next door to us in the hotel was German and made every effort to talk to us when our paths crossed.
Take the cable car in Funchal its got great views and take a walk from the hotel to canico, its a steep walk but well worth it. Also the yellow open Top bus tour is not to be missed, you can hop on and off at any stop, Visit the "Hole in one " pub in Funchal, good drinks and food.
Finally if you have a Riu card you can pay the outstanding cost of your bar bill or any extras in the hotel with the points you have on your card. So we had nothing to pay at the end of the stay Great......
We will return to the hotel............
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico