Booked the Palace, earlier in the year, through Thomson, having seen that it was going All Inclusive. We stayed 1st-15th July, and we were not disappointed. As stated in there brochure, the Hotel is situated away from any main resorts. However nearby you will find a good Spar Supermarket, for those extra items you may need, as well as a small gift shop, at resonable prices, and a couple of cafes, should you need a change (we did'nt). Also a couple of nice walks up and down the coast. The Hotel operates a free bus into Funchal every day. (book the night before). 3 departures each morning/afternoon.
Other reveiwers have discribed the hotel facilities, so I will give the brief details.
Bars on the Terrace,Lounge and Pool, opening at diferent times during the day. Waiter service is available, but you can go to the bars and order. Brock Beer is served on draught, Spirits are PREMIER BRANDS, so when order Bacardi, you get Barcardi. The local wines (white/Rose) are very good.
Restaurants are, main buffet, pool and Argentinian themed "Rodizio" which you can visit once each week. (Excellent for all meat eaters, as its like getting a b.b.q. on a plate). The selection in the buffet for all meals is also excellent. The Pool bar, does a limited choice in the mornings for late breakfast (10.30/12.30) Not available during lunch time, except for those on half board (not many there). Would be better as part of the All Inclusive, for light lunch snacks. Then Sandwiches and cakes available from 4.30. Gentlemen do have to wear long trousers in the evenings.
Pool Area. Always managed to get a sun bed, even after 10am, but there are those sado's who reserve a bed before 8am, and don't turn up until after 2pm. It says beds cannot be reserved, but pool staff do not enforce it? Two pools, I was informed that 1 is heated to 24c, but it was still cool when you entered, but then the outside temp averaged 28c while we were there.
The room we were allocated was of a good size, with all facilities you require, a good firm bed (which I like). A fridge and 32" flat screen TV, which included BB1 & 2. So could watch the evening news, without having to pay 2.90e for a british newspaper.
The staff however make your stay here a pleasure, as they are all helpfull and enjoy there jobs. So we will be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico