1,894 results
All reviews resident band small promenade short promenade evening entertainment flat roof pool area relaxing holiday lovely hotel courtesy bus free bus to funchal cable car lobby bar plenty of sunbeds sea view waiter service thomson rep plenty of choice
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Just returned from a week's stay (well almost a week, pilot couldn't land at airport due to adverse weather so we were flown to Tenerife to stay overnight) so in effect by the time we did arrive at our hotel in Madeira we had lost 2 days from our holiday. Despite this unfortunate start to our holiday which Thomson handled with military precision we had a really enjoyable stay.
We were greeted by very enthusiastic staff who promptly allocated our rooms and luggage was taken by the porter. We were given room 4136 which was perfectly adequate but the view was poor to say the least so I went to reception to see of they had a room available with a better out look, I was offered room 1414 which was perfect with a wonderful sea view.
The food was of really good quality with plenty of choice to suit all tastes, and the Waiter/Waitress service was polite, and friendly. The pool area was never crowded and the pool attendant was very efficient in supplying the cushions for the sun beds.We didn't take advantage of the evening entertainment however I do believe there was something provided each evening, however we met so many nice people we spent our evenings chatting with new found friends. The weather was mostly warm so sun bathing was usually the order of the day but there is a free bus the hotel provides which takes you into Funchal if you want to explore.
All in all great Hotel would definitely return, and credit where credit's due Thomson Holidays did a dam good job in very difficult circumstances.

Date of stay: April 2014
3  Thank irene f
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel in October, 2013. It was excellent then, and my latest visit was 24th March,2014 to 31st March, 2014. Again it fulfilled every aspect of what would be expected at a Riu Palace Hotel. It was kept spotlessly clean both in the rooms and the public areas. The staff were once again very proficient and friendly without exception. Every member of the Management and Staff were a credit to the Hotel chain and it was a very pleasant experience when some staff members remembered me from my last visit. The restaurant continued to provide excellent food and service. I have stayed in many Riu Hotels in the past and I can honestly say that the staff in this Hotel are probably the best I have had the pleasure of being looked after by. This is definitely a Hotel I can highly recommend and it offers an all inclusive option which is great value for money. Well done everyone at the Riu Palace Madeira and I will definitely be returning in the future to partake in the wonderful hospitality that the Hotel provides. I also convey my special thanks to my restaurant waitress, Theresa, and the ladies at Reception who excelled in their duties.

Room tip: Try to get a room with on a high floor with sea view or side sea view facing south west as the sun is on the balcony in the afternoon and evening.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank John L
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Wonderful friendly hotel. Nothing too much trouble for the staff who are very at tentative and helpful. Quality of hotel is high which includes cleanliness, standard of food and entertainment.
You will have a great holiday if you base yourself here.

6  Thank CoventryWellie
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Hotel Riu lived up to all expectations: good food, a comfortable room, friendly staff and all very clean and tidy throughout. If you want to get into Funchal take the free bus or do as we did and hire a car to explore further afield. Altogether a great holiday and wish to come back a walk more Levadas!

Date of stay: March 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
10  Thank BigglesWhitmore
Reviewed 19 March 2014

One of the most pleasant Hotels we have stayed at in recent years. The accommodation was first class and the food excellent in range and quality. The staff attentive and friendly. We would recommend this place to anyone and we certainly intend to return very soon. It more than fulfilled its brochure description.

Room tip: If you are able, choose a Junior Suite on the 3rd.or 4th floor on the West Side. The space is lavish !
5  Thank dennsteele