We just came back from our one week trip to Madeira where we stayed in the Riu Palace Hotel. After a spectacular landing, we drove straight away to our hotel where we were warmly welcomed with a glass of traditional Madeira wine (similar to Porto wine.. maybe a bit sweeter). After the usual formalities we went to our room and there was nothing negative to say about it: it was quite spacious, very clean and the seaside view we had was just picturesque.
The staff is very helpful and absolutely client oriented (they called us after 5 min we arrived in our room in order to ask if everything is to our satisfaction) and the majority of them speaks English or German. Even if you wish to rent a car or if you wish to make activities outside the hotel, they take the initiative and help you to organize or contact the person in charge.
The hotel infrastructure is modern and clean, the pool is perfectly clean and well maintained. The sun beds and parasol were also good and there was always an helpful employe who helped us to find a nice spot for sunbathing.
The restaurant is o.k. The breakfast buffet was rich and traditional (cold and hot food) but the coffee was a bit disappointing. The evening buffet was also very diversified, but personnly after three days you just wish to have more diversification, therefor I advise only to book bed&breakfast and eat out at the evening in the near laid restaurants (Tip: a very good restaurant is the Villa Ventura Garden Terrace...it is a bit hidden but very good grilled fish & meat http://www.villa-ventura.com/english/einricht.htm ). The only thing you need to be aware of is that the restauration is strictly organized (hours, table.....) so inform yourself in advance. There is also a separate grill restaurant in the hotel but again be aware of the fact that you need to book one day in advance (no spontaneous acting....).
Another positive aspect is the very calm location of the hotel situated right at the promenade and the beach.
There is free shuttle service from the hotel to Funchal (the capital) and back. Be sure to book your places at time at the reception, as this service is very popular. If you shouldn't get any place, the regional bus stops in front of the hotel (station marked with "Paragem")
The evening entertainment is very average: Cuban band, Italian broadway songs etc.
The target audience in this hotel are mainly retired Germans and English, nothing really for young people looking for party holiday........
If you are looking for a calm and relaxing holiday, Madeira and the Hotel Riu Palace is the right place. You will find an extreme clean and well organized hotel with a great pool and a lot of possibilities to relax. Those holidays are more for experienced travelers looking for calmness (really nothing for younger people...I made the experience.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico