“You Can Trust Rui”

Hotel Riu Palace Madeira
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Canico
Reviewed 11 September 2007

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks from 27th August 07. We have been to a few Riu Hotels now and quite frankly, you can't go wrong. The location of this hotel is a little out of the way but for us this was not a problem, if you like to walk out to local bars then this may not be for you. However the first week of our stay there was a week long local festival and there was an array of temp' bars and eateries along the sea front promanarde, local music and dancers were everywhere and it made a very bright and lively atmosphere of an evening. In fact it seemed very quiet when it was over. All this aside, the reception is typical riu plush chairs and polished wood, it has a small shop for papers and those things you may have forgotton and another selling shoes, handbags and swimwear etc. Our room was on the first floor and had a nice view of the sea and pools, although if we had been one higher I suspect it would have been even better. The rooms are clean and well furnished with air con' and a fan. The bath room has a shower over the bath and a hairdryer, however if you need to style your hair with one I would take your own. This does bring me to one gripe (and I have the same gripe with most hotels) they put a huge mirror in the bedroom but no power point next to it so you can use your electric hair dressing appliances. I ended up using my straighteners in the bathroom which for health and safety resons is not the best thing to do. One good point I did find here was full length hanging space in the wardrobe so no creased dress hems ! Anyway, let me get to what Riu do best, the food. At the Thomson welcome meeting the manager said that they only paid the cheff if the guests left weighing an extra 5 kilos, this can be easily done. The breakfast choice is good but don't expect english bangers. The cheffs do fatastic omelettes with fillings of your choice and there is the usual friut, yoghurts and cereals. You will be spoilt for choice at evening meal which when we were there was in sittings of 6.30 and 8.30. there is always a carved meat of some kind lots of differnet veg and the cheffs are cooking fish and various meats on show. The first day you arive you will be asked to go to the 6.30 sitting and the head waiter will sort out your table and time for the rest of your stay then. As with most of the Riu dining rooms some of the tables are very close together but if you want space just tell the waiter that you want a quiet table and they will do their best to find you one. I saw many people sitting in silence at dinner obviously not wanting to sit next to strangers, Riu want your custom forever so you have only to tell them if something is not quite as you would like it. The food at the lunch time resteraunt is very good, do not be fooled by the term 'starter' on the menu, they are huge. The steaks are to die for and a chefs special one day of a good size half lobster was very good value at about 18 euros.
There are two pools and one is slightly heated and although the hotel was quite full there was plenty of loungers. On the subject of loungers, this must be the first hotel where I have not seen the dreaded towels on beds at 6am, for some reason it just wasn't done, yes there is a sign asking you not to do it but since when has a sign made any difference, no, it was a refreshing change.
The staff are very good, very polite and helpfull. We thought the reception staff were not quite on the ball as in other Riu hotels but none of it was a big problem. The entertainment manager did his best, he himself was a very tallented young man turning his hand to anything but the acts they employed left a lot to be desired. We did not mind too much as we were not expecting Vegas.
Madeira itself is a very dramatic island, I have never seen so many mountains and valleys on such a small island, it is well worth taking a couple of trips. The trips offered by Thomson were for once quite well priced. Before we came to Madeira we were concerned about the image of it being Gods waiting room, we found this not to be the case and as every where you go is either up or down very steep hills you have to have a good state of mobility. We found the age group in our hotel very well mixed, about 30% 60+, 45% 35 to 50 and the other 25% young couples with or without young children and also groups of friends. So on the whole we had a good holiday, the weather was good, we had good food and good wine and as always have come home looking for our next Riu escape.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
16  Thank GILLChesterfield
Write a ReviewReviews (1,638)

Reviewed 22 August 2007

An excellent hotel!We stayed here looking for total relaxation and got it!
The room was lovely with a great view of the pool and the sea.It was well appointed and extremely clean. At night we sat on the balcony listening to the waves crash on the rocks below- bliss!
The pool was lovely with fab view of the sea! We had no problems at all getting a sunbed and the pool attendant was quick to hand out mattresses.
Meals were excellent. As a veggie, I always worry about half board but there was always plenty of choice. Breakfast was brilliant with a range of continental and English style breakfasts. As mentioned in other reviews, I also became rather partial to enjoying a glass of cava in the mornings as part of the breakfast and enjoying it on the terrace looking at the spectacular views.
Staff were absolutely fantastic- nothing is trouble!

Perhaps the only things to have a slight moan about were the entertainment ( bit boring!) and also the tables at dinner. They are slightly too close together for my liking. There are only a few tables which are entirely on their own, so I asked to be moved to one of those as I do not really enjoy making conversation at dinner times (perhaps I'm just miserable!!!!!!)

On the whole, however, an excellent hotel! I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
15  Thank reeceyNorthumberland
Reviewed 19 August 2007

They say dont believe all you read, except in the case of the Riu Palace. This place is really every bit as good as all the reviews say it is. A wondeful hotel with lovely staff and very obviously dedicated management. No particular highlight apart from perhaps the food. Beautifully set out in a buffet style and show kitchen with an amazing amount of choice. The rooms were really good, spacious and well furnished. Loads of room at the poolside and attentive service for drinks etc. Choose a sunlounger, and a man appears with a lounger mattress a few seconds later. One I would certainly re-visit.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank leoCheshire_UK
Reviewed 19 August 2007

We have recently enjoyed the best holiday we have ever had, at the Riu Palace in Madreira.
Every guest on arrival at the hotel is given a glass of Madeiran wine, during the process of registering in.
The manager is so proud of his hotel that on a Tues morning he invites guests to take a stroll behind the scenes, kitchens etc. This finishes with a glass of Sangria made by staff and guests.
Each and every member of the hotel staff cannot do enough to ensure your holiday is a great success. Special thanks to John who let me back into my safety deposit box after I had put the wrong code in. Like other guests have said the waiter at dinner (Dino) would not allow me to pour my own wine telling me 'madam you are on holiday!' I could get used to this permanently.
Most hotels we have stayed in previously the entertainment left a lot to be desired but this was enjoyable and suitable for families. I would recommend the students from Madeira University.
The island is beautiful, though to see the majority of plants flowering you would have to be there earlier in the year.
Our bedroom was on a lower floor but there was no problem with noise. The room was first class, clean and comfortable.
The food was of a very high standard and great variety. I put on weight during my stay in the Riu Palace - the only downside.
There is a free bus to Funchal about 20-30 mins away which has to be booked after 6pm the night before travelling.
Mosquitoes are not a problem in Madeira due to the small lizards everywhere.So you can sit on your balcony at night and enjoy glass of wine.
I would heartily recommend this destination and this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
10  Thank Holdiaygirl
Reviewed 18 July 2007

This is without a doubt the best 4* hotel we have ever stayed at. The food was wonderful - beautifully cooked and presented with an excellent variety for every meal. During our two week stay we only heard praise for the hotel from other guests regarding the food and the service. The only 'complaint' was with the location, when some guests would have liked to be a bit closer to other hotels and shops etcetera. However, for us, the location was perfect!!! The only sound we could hear in the night was that of the waves rolling in on the stones - just heavenly peace and quiet. We were able to leave our window open every night with no fear of any mosquitoes - one of my pet hates- and without the horribly noisy bar music - which you cannot avoid in some resorts like the costa del sol! The rooms were spacious and the whole hotel spotlessly clean. The staff were ALL exceptionally good at their jobs and could not do enough for you! They were always ready to make you laugh and to make sure that you were having a good time. Although they didn't show it they must have been very, very tired because they all worked so hard - but always with a smile. Tea and coffee brought in pots to the table every morning was so much nicer than getting it from a machine which is a practice adopted now by many other 4* hotels,and then a glass of champagne (or two) on the terrace after breakfast in the lovely balmy weather with a gentle breeze from the sea - and this in July! I felt sorry for the poor people suffering the heat and humidity in the mediterranean resorts.
Th library was well stocked with a variety of books left by other guests, and it was just bliss to go to the pool terrace in the full knowledge that there would be a lounger brought to you if you needed, together with a cushion. The chairs on the balconies were also reclining and with a soft and comfortable cushion cover. It really was the best and most relaxing holiday we have ever had and we cannot wait to visit this hotel again. A difficulty we thought we would encounter was with drinking water because I have to drink plenty of it! However, a five minute journey (80 cents each way on the local bus to Canico) was all that was required, and we could buy 1.5 litres for 45 cents in the supermarket next to where the bus stopped. The bus then returned to the hotel entrance, so problem solved! The food served at the pool bar at lunch time was very good value for money - we had toasted sandwiches, salad and fries, which was enough for the two of us, and it cost 4.15 euros. By the way, this was described as 'sandwiches' which was all we expected to get. All in all I cannot praise this hotel enough. Well done Riu Palace Madeira staff!!!

Stayed: July 2007
21  Thank Wopin
Reviewed 17 July 2007

This hotel and its staff are second to none, we had a wonderfull holiday in this hoteL
john&vera CORNWALL
GOING BACK NEXT YEARl

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank potterhaylecornwall
Reviewed 17 July 2007

Yes to everything said below re: hotel overall, staff (more than excellent I thought), pool area, rooms etc etc. However, and as nobody else has mentioned this me and Husband are obviously in a minority, we didn't like the fact that dinner came in two sittings, therefore meaning having to go to dinner at the same time every night, plus having to sit at the same table every night. We were actually very very lucky and sat next to people for the same fortnight who we got on very well with across the larger gap (previous residents you'll know what I mean!) - but once a group of 6 the other side of us left after a few nights, we then got down to dinner to find we were suddenly sitting in a table of 4 - woah personal space!! We're not usually half-boarders so this is obviously just a personal preference of ours and not a fault I guess of the hotel - just a warning in case there's anyone else out there like me!
And yes hotel entertainment is a bit like being transported back in time - I still go to sleep hearing the same songs in my head even after being back 3 weeks as the house band played the same thing every night. But the local lass who sings a fado song as part of her repertoire needs a pay rise - absolutely brilliant. And bring back the parrots!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank PGMonkey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canico
Hotel The Cliff Bay
#4 of 13 in Canico
Quinta da Casa Branca
Quinta da Casa Branca
#3 of 88 in Funchal

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Madeira? Share your experiences!