Having just arrived back from our holiday in Ponta do Sol a review of a holiday which couldn't have been much better. After initially researching the area and property on tripadvisor and having great experiences and references we chose this location. Just before we set off for Madeira I read that June was seen as the 'blanket' month for all the cloud over the island...
Having followed the weather forecast in the days leading up to the holiday my heart started to sink as every day it said cloudy, sunny intervals etc. And sure enough when landing there was quite a bit of cloud at Funchal airport, DON'T let this fool you as we have come to understand in the last two weeks,the weather changes are speedier than light and the climate is wonderful.
Having arrived at the hotel we were dropped off at a concrete elevator shaft and i was getting anxious, having arrived at the fourth floor we had to go over a walk bridge into the hotel where a simple desk is the hotel reception area. Still in good spirits we were given a short explanation where everything was and we went to our room.
The room itself is not the best I've had but met all the standards, was clean and had a good view close to the swimmingpool and honesty bar. Views are amazing and staff very very good. We chose the half board option and I must say the meals were outstanding every night we ate there which was 10 out of 13.
The bar area was very good and the service consistently good, some issues with language barriers but we can't expect everybody to speak perfect english but no problem on our behalf.
We will come back to this island and this hotel within a heartbeat. Ponta do Sol is quite a different matter. It didn't take away from our holiday but can imagine it would do for some people, no real restaurants in the the town apart from a pizzeria and a snackbar with the standard fayre. We didn't try the snackbar but have had lunches at the italian where we had good basic food and fantastic service. All is walkable from the hotel and there is also a little shopping centre with some boutiques beauty treatments and a chemist. All people have a good grasp of english and are very pleasant.
Also try the supermarket/filling station where you can have a decent lunch for less than 6 euros for the two of you... Coffee is a treat in Madeira and VERY CHEAP...
We would like to thank everybody at the hotel for giving us an outstanding Holiday and we didn't want to come home...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The best way to define the concept that lies behind the Estalagem da Ponta do Sol is the idea of an escape hotel. It is set on the top of a cliff - a more spectacular location is difficult to imagine. The hotel is a result of the renovation of an old "quinta", and the goal was simple: to integrate the original buildings in a distinct, contemporary style. The architecture enhances the beauty of an already beautiful place and the atmosphere is simple and relaxed, yet sophisticated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Estalagem Ponta do Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estalagem Da Ponta Do Sol Hotel Ponta Do Sol
- Ponta Do Sol Estalagem Da
- Estalagem Ponta Do Sol Madeira