We´ve just stayed here for a week before going on to Funchal for a second week. A beautiful and stylish hotel with lovely food, great infinity pool, gardens, spa. If you want to lounge round a pool most of the time, perhaps take time out to do a levada walk, play some tennis, do a coach tour round the western side of the island or have a massage, then this is as good a place as any to do it. The food is delicious but quite rich so we went down to the shack on the beach (called Mare Alta) twice, once for a simple 3-course dinner ( €12.50 p.p.) and once just for a bowl of soup which really hit the spot. The village is tiny and there's not much going on in November, but there is a little shopping centre 3 mins walk from the hotel with a pharmacy, mini-supermarket, etc. The hotel buffet breakfast was lovely - lots of fresh fruit salad and juices, yogurt, cold meats and cheese and salad, then scrambled eggs, mushrooms, bacon etc, Great rolls, bread, croissants and cakes to end the meal - you don't come here to lose weight! Our only quibble was the honesty bar food. The honesty bar is a great concept and it works very well for drinks, but you can also order light snacks there - sandwiches, soups, salads - and they only use Bimbo-style bread rather than the lovely bread they serve at breakfast - why? - and the soup was lukewarm. But all in all, a great hotel and a lovely relaxing week - we'd definitely recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The best way to define the concept that lies behind the Estalagem da Ponta do Sol is the idea of an escape hotel. It is set on the top of a cliff - a more spectacular location is difficult to imagine. The hotel is a result of the renovation of an old "quinta", and the goal was simple: to integrate the original buildings in a distinct, contemporary style. The architecture enhances the beauty of an already beautiful place and the atmosphere is simple and relaxed, yet sophisticated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HRS so you can book your Estalagem Ponta do Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estalagem Da Ponta Do Sol Hotel Ponta Do Sol
- Ponta Do Sol Estalagem Da
- Estalagem Ponta Do Sol Madeira