“Exceptional staff, modern design”

Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Vienna, VA
“Exceptional staff, modern design”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The friendly and exceptional front desk staff really stand out in this almost two-year old Residence Inn. As a Marriott Rewards Platinum or Gold Elite member the past several years, I have been in a lot of different hotels in the Marriott chain.

Pros: very exceptional front desk staff; contemporary, modern design; good location with close proximity to downtown, waterfront, Ghent district, ODU, Chrysler Museum (free!), and Sentara Hospital; typical Residence Inn free breakfast; every bedroom and living room in the suite has a flat panel TV; full-size stove and refrigerator typical of Residence Inn; convenient parking; streetcar stop is a block away; modest game room has foosball table, pool table, and air hockey

Cons: current design has smaller square footage than older Residence Inns; the two-bedroom suite's king bedroom (room 420) had a building support column in front of the window; kitchen hood fan not very powerful (our stir frying tripped the smoke alarm); those who like quiet locations may not be accustomed to a downtown hotel location with downtown traffic noise and the occasional ambulance or police siren; parking garage is not connected to the hotel though a short walk; boring views, especially when compared to the Norfolk Waterside Marriott

The reason I found the front desk staff exceptional was performance that went beyond the high professionalism typical of most hotels in the Marriott family. We had prepared a home-cooked meal for our daughter attending ODU. During the washing and drying of the cookware (some ours, some the hotel's), one of our teens mistakenly placed a pot lid in the kitchen's cabinets (looked similar to the hotel's). Upon our return home, we discovered a pot lid missing (hey, it's gourmet cookware). A call to the hotel initiated the search. The next morning the front desk informed us they successfully found our pot lid that was then picked up by our ODU daughter.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, request high floor and/or on the West York Street side of the building (rather t...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
We enjoyed having you as guests of the hotel. One of the nice amenities of the hotel is that you can cook in your suite. I am sure your daughter enjoyed a "homecooked" meal.

Since you do have a daughter in town we do hope to see you again while she is attending ODU.

Thank you again for taking the time to write the review.

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever had. We were given 3 different rooms all of which had hair in the bathrooms or bed. After the third switch we were moved to the Courtyard Marriot which was not nearly as nice for the price. The next day all that they offered was "sorry". I have never been so inconvenienced and not compensated of it. DO NOT STAY at this hotel- you will probably get a staff infection or some other communicable disease.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sar123_12
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for your comment. We dropped the ball on your get away stay. After personally speaking with you I do hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the near future to show you we did hear what you said and have rectified the issues.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed here 2/12-2/14/12. I stayed in Room 412. Although I don't like rooms that close to elevators, I must say that the rooms are extremely insulated so I very rarely heard a thing. Room 412 is a Studio Suite. I would have preferred to have had a upgrade, but I was told upon check in that there was a group in house scheduled to be there till July, therefore a good portion of the rooms were occupied. I was still excited nonetheless, i have been trying to get into this hotel for a while, but the rates are too steep for me, luckily, my assistant got me in.
This hotel is very clean and very well maintained. I'm really impressed with downtown Norfolk, and their revitalization efforts. They have turned a once blighted area into a fabulous little community. Plenty of good restaurants within walking distance, and a great nightlife.
I especially loved the breakfast. The breakfast is much better at this Residence Inn than the one in Newport News (same management company). I was eating breakfast one morning, and Linda (General Manager) walked aorund the eating area and took my used plate on the table. NOW THAT'S SERVICE! While most General Managers are deep in paperwork, Linda took the time to come out and greet her guests.

I only have a couple of gripes. Nothing too major, but just my overall impression since perception equates to reality. I was disapointed that no one I asked at the desk recommended the Norfolk Grille around the corner. I found that eatery by accident. You have got to have the food there. I'm all about supporting local businesses, and they missed the mark by not recommending it to me. I also must stress how important it is for people who work at the front desk to know their area. Knowing your area and the businesses and restaurants are very helpful tools. Opening a flier and saying "we are here" and "Granby Street is there" is not really providing any information at all. I think if the hotel values its employees, perhaps they should purchase vouchers for the desk clerks to go and eat or perhaps the restaurant owners should bring some free food by so the desk clerks can remember them. Just dropping off menus is not helping either.
but other than that, great hotel, great ambience, comfortable beds, and hopefully by the time i go back, I can say knowledgable staff. I will be back, because this hotel has LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION in its corner!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Insider822
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
We are in a great location with exciting activities and restaurants all around us. We are working with the local restaurant on experiencing their food quality and various types of food offerings for the desk staff. The Norfolk Grille is a great locals favorite managed by a local Greek family. Unfortunately we were not the ones to recommend them to you. We do have several other local secrets when your in town next time. Check with the desk so you know we did hear your comments.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to having you stay with us again when you are in Norfolk,

Rahway, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 February 2012

In town for a family member having surgery at Children's Hospital. The room was spacious with a full kitchen. Beds were comfortable, room clean. Great breakfast with good assortment and they offered free dinners on some nights. Nice work out room with an indoor heated pool and spa. Very nice staff. The hospital was a fifteen minute walk and right around the corner is Granby Street with a great selection of varied restaurants and cafes.due to it's downtown location, they do not have parking, but they are across the street from a municipal parking complex if needed. Due to hotels location we did not need a car. Using cabs when needed or the free battery powered shuttle, part of the downtown district tourism, that will pick you up at the hotel at take you anywhere in the historic downtown district

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
We are happy we were able to make your stay an enjoyable one. The Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughter's is an amazing hospital. We do hope your family member has a speedy recovery from the surgery.

You are correct we have several modes of transportation for the downtown area if you wish to leave your car parked or if you traveled without a car. "FRED" Free Ride Every Day is a perfect little golf cart to move people around the area. The light rail station is right out our door.

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott and if your travels bring you back to the area we hope you select our hotel

Waycross, Georgia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I love this hotel. The rooms are large and very clean. I've stayed at much more expensive hotels that don't even come close to this place.

The breakfast menu is very good and has a lot of options and the fitness center is nice as well. You can't beat the location either. It's within walking distance of the mall and many places to eat. Parking is expensive but that's the only negative so far.

• Stayed January 2012
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for your kind words about the Residence Inn Downtown. We do appreciate your business and hope you select our hotel again when your travel brings you back to Norfolk.

Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Clean modern well appointed rooms and common areas. Courteous and professional staff. Parking is expensive.

• Stayed January 2012
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Mike,

We are happy you enjoyed your time here at the Residence Inn Downtown. Unfortunately, parking is one of the evils for a downtown location. Hopefully while you were here you had an opportunity to leave your car parked and ride our new light rail system to your destination. If your travel brings you back to the Norfolk area we do hope you select the Residence Inn Downtown for your overnight accomodations.

sbktravels
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I have stayed here 4 times since and is my Hotel of prefernce in the Downtown norfolk Area. The 1st 2 times were questionable about coming back. The service was not of Marriott quality and the cleanliness was not of Marriott quality. The free breakfast was not a benefit either. This was during the first couple of months of being in business.
The next 2 times I have stayed were enjoyable. The Hotel had been open for over a year and seems to have straightened out. The service as better and the cleanliness is better. The breakfast is you standard tun of the mill complimentary breakfast. They serve lite meals several evenings which I was not around for. They have a decent gym which is never crowded. Overall I would definetly be back when I am in the area. This is one of the only newer hotels in the area and is close to great nitelife and restuarants.

Room Tip: Chose a high floor facing the parking garage for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your continued business at the Residence Inn Downtown. We do appreciate your comments and definitely want to know if we fail to meet your expectations.