“Clean, trendy hotel very close to local attractions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown

Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Wisconsin
“Clean, trendy hotel very close to local attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This was a very clean, contemporary themed hotel. It has nine floor levels of rooms with most of the usual comforts of an apartment. Each room is very spacious and has its own kitchenette. We were here for a wedding. Beware, there are very few fast food restaurants or Walgreens / CVS stores nearby. However, the USS Wisconsin Battleship & Nauticus museum, the harbor and other attractions are just blocks away. Also, this hotel is close to the freeway. There is also a three floor level mall with a movie theatre nearby. There are sports bars and a few clubs only a couple of blocks away. One last thing... Parking is not free at this hotel. I think it's $18 / day with unlimited in & out privileges. The parking structure is right across the street from the hotel and is shared with other businesses. Hotel guests were asked to only park on the 3rd & 4th levels.

Stayed July 2014
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are centrally located near many attractions, shopping and restaurants. If your travels bring you back to the Norfolk area we do hope you chose to stay with us.

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the first time I have bothered writing a review for a hotel but I feel that other parents of small children should be aware of my concerns. I was expecting the usual Residence Inn quality but I was disappointed. When I checked in, the two guests in front of me were each complaining about the bugs in their rooms. Our room was clean and acceptable. I went to take my two 3 year olds to the pool (the pool was one of the reasons I picked this hotel), but I found a closed sign on the door at 4 pm. I was able to take them to the pool the following day and it was dirty. When I bathed my children after the pool, the bottom of our tub was full of brown sand (we had not been outside or to the the beach-the sand was from the pool). I will visit Norfolk to see family again soon but will find another hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LNG12345
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review.

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations during your most recent visit. We strive to ensure everyone enjoys their time in Norfolk and at the Residence Inn.

During your time here we did have to close the pool for 3 hours in order to "shock" the pool. This happens on occasion when we have extremely high use, mostly summer time. We certainly did not plan to take the pool down during the daytime hours. We also want to make sure the chemicals are balance so we can deliver a healthy pool environment.

Again, I apologize we did not meet your expectations.

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I love this hotel. The rates are reasonable. It still has a new look and feel. The beds are usually comfortable, however, one night the bed I slept in was very uncomfortable. My back was actually hurting when I woke up. The other downside is the $18 a day parking garage.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your generous comments.

We strive to make everyone travels just a little bit better. We hope you enjoy your new home.

Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Wow, I was very impressed with the customer service this hotel had to offer. My family and I stayed here for 4 nights during a recent cross-country move. I called the front desk at 8:30am to see if they could store luggage until check-in time, and instead they were able to get us into a room. I was so grateful to them, that is such a rare occurrence to be able to check in so early.

This was the second time we've stayed here and it's just generally a nice, clean hotel. The lobby is modern with nice furniture and they offer a free warm breakfast each morning. On the Monday night we stayed there was also a manager's reception in the lobby that served drinks and nachos. These seemed to take place every Monday.

The parking is pretty easy with a garage option available for $18/day or meters (that are off on the weekends) right outside of the hotel. We stayed during Harborfest, one of the largest fests in the area, and had no trouble getting a meter. The room rates were not bad, and comparable to other hotels in the area.

The kitchenette was nice to be able to get some groceries instead of eating out every meal. They even have a grocery service available for you. The pool was small, but never crowded and the workout room had a nice selection of free weights, and never a crowd.

Room Tip: The wifi was not meant for the rooms, only lobby, but you were able to get a small signal in the gue...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank Ellen M
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment.

Your comments and suggestions tell us what we are doing right and how we can improve.

We wish you the best on your new journey.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Staff were friendly. We booked a 2 bedroom suite and it smelled of smoke. The desk offered us another room or have the one we had cleaned. We were only staying one night so chose the latter, dId not totally solve the problem. Breakfast area untidy, cereal all over the place. Expensive to park, but does offer free wifi.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Annette B
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

We have had our parking challenges and will continue to work with the city to rectify the issues as quickly as possible. We do apologize this impacted your stay.

Thank you for making us aware of the messy cereal station. We do strive to keep the breakfast area neat during the entire meal time.

We hope you return to the hotel to see we have made strides in improving our guest experience.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I've been staying from Va beach to Chesapeake to Norfolk since January. I would have to say that this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.. Too bad it was short lived. The parking garage was across the street, no available parking on the bottom floors and the elevators were out of order. A couple of nights the ticket dispenser to enter into the garage was out of tickets, but yet the hotel wanted to still charge $18 per night for parking. The breakfast was ok. There was no meat the first day but the best thing was the dry cereal. The dinners in the evening were bland. The mashed potatoes were smashed potatoes and the gravy looked like chocolate pudding. I guess it being free takes away from the quality. I doubt that I would ever stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DeeTraveler1523
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
You are correct the elevator was out of service in the city garage. The desk team should have suggested you load and unload your luggage from the front door. Since we do not operate the garage the city did not give us notice they were completing maintenance on the elevator. I apologize for this inconvenience.

We have a rotating menu and offer biscuits and sausage gravy on Sunday. We do appreciate your comments and I would like to know more about your evening social experience if you would like to reach out to me to discuss. Please feel free to call me at the hotel 757-842-6216.

Thank you again for your comments.

Striving to be better,

Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Was in Norfolk for business and was fortunate enough to call this hotel home for a night-- wish it had been longer!!! This is a beautiful property with fantastic customer service and, most importantly, exemplary accommodations. I am very particular about my lodging since I travel weekly for business and prefer the most home-like (and CLEAN) experience possible and this was one of my most memorable stays because those needs were not only met but were exceeded. My room truly felt like an apartment-- very well-appointed, from the bedding, to the artwork on the walls, to the beautiful kitchen with everything needed to cook and enjoy homemade meals... everything was very nice. The location was, likewise, an important reason this hotel ranks so highly-- central to everything, making getting around very convenient. I hope to get a chance to go back on future travels and encourage you to enjoy this lovely hotel for yourself without giving it a second thought! This is the place you want to stay!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank debbiesdreamtrips
Thank you for your great review.

We are always excited when our guests enjoy their stay and experience the downtown Norfolk area.

We hope you have an opportunity to return to the area and come back to the Residence Inn Downtown by Marriott.

Best Regards,