“Good business hotel”

Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

A business trip took me to Norfolk Virginia where my company set me up at this hotel. The hotel staff is terrific the rooms are clean and big. The area isn't the best but this was a working trip. Not the best place for a vacation. All in all I was very satisfied.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

We wish you would have had a a few days to relax. We have so many things to do in the Norfolk area, from historical museums, Botanical Garden, Norfolk Zoo, McArthur Museum and Nauticus with the USS Wisconsin, as well as fishing, trails and the world's largest naval base.

We do hope you have a chance to come back and play.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently spent 4 days and 3 nights at this hotel. Excellent and friendly staff. Everyone from the concierge to the maintenance staff greet you with a "hello", "good morning/afternoon/evening" or a "how are you?".

The rooms are nice-sized with every modern day feature available, including a fully functional kitchenette complete with stove, oven, microwave, full sized fridge and dishwasher. The cabinets are stocked with utensils, dinnerware and cooking supplies. Wifi was pretty strong, too.

Nice, comfortable bed, though the sleeper sofa could have been more comfortable.

Very large lobby with plenty of seating and tables. Several TVs. Continental breakfast was superb with a nice selection of food (though I prefer more meat, less breakfast cereals).

The parking situation could be better. The garage across the street maxes out at $10/day, but since we were in a large group (a youth hockey team), we were comped for the parking.

Walking distance to the Chrysler Museum, MacArthur Center (mall), The Scope sports arena/Chrysler Hall and attractions around the Elizabeth River. Some nice diners and restaurants are nearby as well as some halls for live music.

The gym is typical of most hotels...small with a sparse amount of weights and primarily cardio. A better choice would be the YMCA a couple of blocks away. Small, indoor pool and hot tub. Free towels in both facilities.

Overall they did a pretty good job handling 15 families and teen aged hockey players.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

We did enjoy having your team here in the hotel.

The parking garage is a city garage and is not an overnight parking facility. The hotel incurs an additional cost for lighting and security which is why are parking fees appear higher then the city daily fee.

We do hope you have an opportunity to return to Noroflk and the Residence Inn Downtown.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Front desk staff were very nice and helpful. Found housekeeping could use some improvement or at least better checks after room was cleaned. We actually had to ask for toilet paper after being out for the day and into the evening. Trash was emptied but new bags were not put in also had to ask for dishwasher soap too. The rates were reasonable for the two bed room we stayed in and parking in the garage was included, not sure it that is because we have Platinum status with the hotel rewards but that was great because garage seemed expensive. Parking is across the road which can at times be inconvenient. Hotel close to a light rail stop (The Tide Light Rail) which was very handy. Lots of restaurants in the area and Waterside was walking distance. We did walk a bit after dark one evening after dinner from Waterside I would just advise as with any city you be mindful of your surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review.

I do wish we would have known about your housekeeping issues while you were here. We have several new housekeepers with us this summer an I apologize we did not inspect your room as well as we should have.

We will use your comments in our morning huddle meetings to train our entire team on how we could have done better to correct your issues so the next guest does not experience the same thing.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This was a very clean, contemporary themed hotel. It has nine floor levels of rooms with most of the usual comforts of an apartment. Each room is very spacious and has its own kitchenette. We were here for a wedding. Beware, there are very few fast food restaurants or Walgreens / CVS stores nearby. However, the USS Wisconsin Battleship & Nauticus museum, the harbor and other attractions are just blocks away. Also, this hotel is close to the freeway. There is also a three floor level mall with a movie theatre nearby. There are sports bars and a few clubs only a couple of blocks away. One last thing... Parking is not free at this hotel. I think it's $18 / day with unlimited in & out privileges. The parking structure is right across the street from the hotel and is shared with other businesses. Hotel guests were asked to only park on the 3rd & 4th levels.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are centrally located near many attractions, shopping and restaurants. If your travels bring you back to the Norfolk area we do hope you chose to stay with us.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the first time I have bothered writing a review for a hotel but I feel that other parents of small children should be aware of my concerns. I was expecting the usual Residence Inn quality but I was disappointed. When I checked in, the two guests in front of me were each complaining about the bugs in their rooms. Our room was clean and acceptable. I went to take my two 3 year olds to the pool (the pool was one of the reasons I picked this hotel), but I found a closed sign on the door at 4 pm. I was able to take them to the pool the following day and it was dirty. When I bathed my children after the pool, the bottom of our tub was full of brown sand (we had not been outside or to the the beach-the sand was from the pool). I will visit Norfolk to see family again soon but will find another hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank LNG12345
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for writing a review.

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations during your most recent visit. We strive to ensure everyone enjoys their time in Norfolk and at the Residence Inn.

During your time here we did have to close the pool for 3 hours in order to "shock" the pool. This happens on occasion when we have extremely high use, mostly summer time. We certainly did not plan to take the pool down during the daytime hours. We also want to make sure the chemicals are balance so we can deliver a healthy pool environment.

Again, I apologize we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I love this hotel. The rates are reasonable. It still has a new look and feel. The beds are usually comfortable, however, one night the bed I slept in was very uncomfortable. My back was actually hurting when I woke up. The other downside is the $18 a day parking garage.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your generous comments.

We strive to make everyone travels just a little bit better. We hope you enjoy your new home.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Wow, I was very impressed with the customer service this hotel had to offer. My family and I stayed here for 4 nights during a recent cross-country move. I called the front desk at 8:30am to see if they could store luggage until check-in time, and instead they were able to get us into a room. I was so grateful to them, that is such a rare occurrence to be able to check in so early.

This was the second time we've stayed here and it's just generally a nice, clean hotel. The lobby is modern with nice furniture and they offer a free warm breakfast each morning. On the Monday night we stayed there was also a manager's reception in the lobby that served drinks and nachos. These seemed to take place every Monday.

The parking is pretty easy with a garage option available for $18/day or meters (that are off on the weekends) right outside of the hotel. We stayed during Harborfest, one of the largest fests in the area, and had no trouble getting a meter. The room rates were not bad, and comparable to other hotels in the area.

The kitchenette was nice to be able to get some groceries instead of eating out every meal. They even have a grocery service available for you. The pool was small, but never crowded and the workout room had a nice selection of free weights, and never a crowd.

Room Tip: The wifi was not meant for the rooms, only lobby, but you were able to get a small signal in the gue...