“Don't stay near a pet room”

Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“Don't stay near a pet room”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

On August 8th, 2014 we spent one night due to the proximity of the hotel to the Chrysler Museum. The room next door was a pet room with dogs that barked most of the night. When I contacted the desk at 3:30 am after a solid hour of barking, they said they didn't have a night manager to come on the floor, so I mentioned that it was in violation of the noise ordinance for Norfolk and Norfolk PD could handle it, then someone came up to check on it. The employee knocked and knocked on the door, no answer and the dogs stopped barking. To my knowledge, no one ever entered the room to check to see if the occupants were OK. For all we knew, they were passed out on the floor and the dogs were barking because of it. No one in that room could have been sleeping as I know that we weren't in the room next door. Due to my husband's work, he had been instrumental in getting an exhibit of paintings at the Chrysler Museum along with some of his personal artifacts that resulted in over 50 people staying at this Residence Inn to come to the opening of the exhibit. When I complained to the manager the next morning after about 2 hours of sleep, I told him that he could put the extra $100 that the "pet room" occupants had to pay towards our bill. He said he couldn't do that but that he would take $75 off our bill. In retrospect, considering how much business we were directly responsible for coming to the hotel for that weekend, we should not have to had to pay anything ! Unfortunate that this happened as the hotel was nice, clean, very comfortable beds (would have been great for sleeping in) and the breakfast bar offered the next morning was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor that doesn't allow pets on the floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Smokeybear T
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We enjoyed celebrating Smokey Bear's 70th birthday here at the hotel.

We apologize for the barking dog in the hotel. We are a pet friendly hotel and sometimes our friends do not always behave. We called the guest to inform them of their barking dog. Part of our pet agreement covers pet behavior.

We do appreciate the business you brought us. You did get a special group discount and due to the number of rooms booked your group organizer did get a complimentary upgrade.

We are excited about the Smokey Bear exhibit and have referred many guest to the museum to enjoy in the celebration.

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel was nice, a standard Residence Inn.

However, I had trouble with the air conditioning in my room, it wasn't working!! After 4 hours and insistance by maintenance that it was working a very nice woman managed to change our room for us (even though there were supposedly none available).

Everyone was nice, but they seemed to have a problem dealing with my problem.

Room Tip: A higher floor is better
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wlf_8
Thank you for your review.

You are correct we did have a few rooms with AC's issues during your dates of stay. We apologize we did not handle your concern more quickly and efficiently.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights while we traveled to the Eastern Shore during the day and back to Norfolk for dinner each night. Overall, have to say that I enjoyed my stay as I usually do with the Residence Inn line. Room was nice, despite one main elevator area these moved quickly and there was rarely a wait, was able to bring my two dogs (always a plus), staff as extremely friendly and helpful, plus decent breakfast each morning. Planned on using some of the other facilities-swimming pool, exercise room, but we stayed too busy. Not certain about the reviewer who said this was in a bad neighborhood. The hotel is on the edge of the Ghent neighborhood which is very nice. Of course you are also adjacent to downtown which does bring a few wanderers in the area. Did not notice anything unusual the first night, but the second night one individual kept hanging outside the front door and periodically popping into the lobby. Thought he was a guest until the doors were locked for the night. Walked the dogs at 6:30 to find a rather large group of homeless people just hanging out. Thought they might be seedy guests at first, but when they were sprawled out sleeping still in the lobby at 11:30 realized what they were doing. This is my one complaint was that it took the staff a long time to realize these individuals were not in fact staying at the hotel. Despite this if I am back in Norfolk I will stay here again. The quality and location of the hotel overrides this one minor concern.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters what room, but would choose the third floor again. Just far enough away...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

We did have a rather large multi-day concert in the area during your stay. We had guests that chose to congregate in the lobby verse head to their rooms so not to disturb other guests. All of these people were registered guests.

We look forward to having you back as our guest on your next trip into the area.

Washington, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently spent one night at the Residence Inn while visiting the Norfolk attractions. The Residence Inn is in a perfect location for walking to the "restaurant row" and the USS Wisconsin. They offered a competitive rate - the same as staying at Marriotts located near the airport. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. I had visited Norfolk over three years earlier, and was attempting to find the same restaurant at which I had eaten, but didn't remember the name. The desk clerk help me recollect all the details I could remember, and narrowed down the options to two possibilities. And the restaurant ended up being one of them! The room was clean and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was superb with burritos, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, cereals, muffins, etc. a staff member was always on hand to refresh the foods. The only negative was paying $18 for parking in the structure adjacent to the hotel. The hotel doesn't have free parking. The structure across the street, however, is very convenient for access to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

We hope you have a chance to come back and spend a few more days in Norfolk and at the Residence Inn Downtown.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Best Regards,

Lakewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family came to Virginia beach for the Kar Dance competition. We decided to stay in Norfolk instead of on the beach which turned out to be a great choice. The location of this hotel was 15-20 minutes from the beach with access to several places to eat, which were not available on in the VA beach area. I would also like to mention the service I recieved from the front desk, especially, from Denzel. Upon arrival to the hotel, they had placed us in a room that was not work for my family. (especially my wife :) ) Denzel made the necessary change to put us in a room which made us happy. Denzel also displayed the potential of a manager, or GM. I appreciated how he was able to accomadate me and my family. Good Job.

Room Tip: Go buy your food and cook. Food stores down the street. Saves big dollars
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

You are correct we are just a few minutes from Virginia Beach.

We hope your children had a great time at the dance completition.

South China, Maine
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

A business trip took me to Norfolk Virginia where my company set me up at this hotel. The hotel staff is terrific the rooms are clean and big. The area isn't the best but this was a working trip. Not the best place for a vacation. All in all I was very satisfied.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
linda m, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

We wish you would have had a a few days to relax. We have so many things to do in the Norfolk area, from historical museums, Botanical Garden, Norfolk Zoo, McArthur Museum and Nauticus with the USS Wisconsin, as well as fishing, trails and the world's largest naval base.

We do hope you have a chance to come back and play.

Mount Ephraim, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently spent 4 days and 3 nights at this hotel. Excellent and friendly staff. Everyone from the concierge to the maintenance staff greet you with a "hello", "good morning/afternoon/evening" or a "how are you?".

The rooms are nice-sized with every modern day feature available, including a fully functional kitchenette complete with stove, oven, microwave, full sized fridge and dishwasher. The cabinets are stocked with utensils, dinnerware and cooking supplies. Wifi was pretty strong, too.

Nice, comfortable bed, though the sleeper sofa could have been more comfortable.

Very large lobby with plenty of seating and tables. Several TVs. Continental breakfast was superb with a nice selection of food (though I prefer more meat, less breakfast cereals).

The parking situation could be better. The garage across the street maxes out at $10/day, but since we were in a large group (a youth hockey team), we were comped for the parking.

Walking distance to the Chrysler Museum, MacArthur Center (mall), The Scope sports arena/Chrysler Hall and attractions around the Elizabeth River. Some nice diners and restaurants are nearby as well as some halls for live music.

The gym is typical of most hotels...small with a sparse amount of weights and primarily cardio. A better choice would be the YMCA a couple of blocks away. Small, indoor pool and hot tub. Free towels in both facilities.

Overall they did a pretty good job handling 15 families and teen aged hockey players.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

We did enjoy having your team here in the hotel.

The parking garage is a city garage and is not an overnight parking facility. The hotel incurs an additional cost for lighting and security which is why are parking fees appear higher then the city daily fee.

We do hope you have an opportunity to return to Noroflk and the Residence Inn Downtown.