“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Florida
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Marriott Waterside for Easter when I went to visit my daughter. I hadn't requested a waterfront room, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find I had been put into one. The room was very nice sized and very clean. My daughter and I absolutely loved being within walking distance to Waterside Market, a vast number of great restaurants and the McArthur Center Mall. The hotel has a very nice convention center and loads of sitting areas to just go relax, have a small get together or just a quiet place to read a book. While we didn't have dinner at the restaurant (Shula's) we did enjoy dessert there and it was very nice.

The staff there are outstanding. When I was checking in there was a couple ahead of me ranting and raving about some issue reference to parking in a garage that had absolutely nothing to do with the hotel or their responsibility. I want to commend the employee on duty for how professionally she handled the situation. I only wish I had got her name to publicly commend her for dealing with that horrible person and the awful names she was calling her. Kudos to the front desk staff.

I definitely plan on another stay at this hotel in the very near future.

Thanks again,

• Stayed April 2011
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 14 May 2011
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We are glad that we could be a part of your holiday visit with your daughter and that we could provide the amenities and location that created and enjoyable trip to Norfolk. In addition, thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff. You are the reason we are in the hospitality business and enjoy coming to work everyday.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I was very please with the hotel. Yes, the rooms are dated, but very clean, and the staff is excellent. The lobby is beautiful, room service is great, overall very decent hotel. Surprisingly, the Hampton Roads area does not offer much in the way of better hotels. Parking is expensive and inconvenient no matter where you stay downtown.There are only two 3.5 star or better hotels in downtown Norfolk, and I've stayed at both. This is heads and above the better property. Trying to get a room for homecoming before we leave for our wedding in Jamaica, and this hotel is at the top of my list. Again, there isn't much to choose from in Norfolk/VA Beach like in other highly populated areas, so keep that in mind.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 16 April 2011
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We are pleased that we could provide the service and amenities that made your visit a "great stay." From your reviews, it is apparent that you visit the area frequently and like to enjoy our many restuarants including our own Shula's 347 Grill. We hope that we can be your home away from home the next time you visit Norfolk.
Lynchburg, VA
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I just wanted everyone to know that we stayed at the Norfolk Marriott Waterside ($71 Hotwire) for the recent Elton John concert at the Ted Constant Convocation Center and it is definitely the nicest hotel in downtown Norfolk, within walking distance of everything. You can park right on the street at night and just feed the meters quarters during the day before 6pm. We got a $25 (out of $35 spent) coupon for Domo Sushi from restaurant.com and it was fabulous, the best sushi I have ever had.

After the show we had Jimmy John's deliver subs right to our room, then we had a few drinks at Shula's, which is very posh and friendly, and that was pretty fun too. Later we hit Hell's Kitchen, a dive, for late night drinks. D-Egg is right across the street for a great breakfast with Mimosas. Don't forget, after using the Express Checkout out via the TV, to use your room cards to access the swimming pool and hot tubs on the sixth floor with the best view of the river/bay in Norfolk. We did for several hours before we headed back home!

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge when you check in
1 Thank Lee N
Thank you for your comments, and we try everyday to live up to "Best Downtown Norfolk Hotel By Far!" We are very fortunate to be located within walking distance of downtown restaurants, shopping , museums and Town Point Park as you experinced during your visit. You are right, do not leave befroe you get to experience our pool, hot tub, newly renovated exercise room and terrace overlooking the Elizabeth River.
King George, Virginia
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My wife and I decided to take a weekend getaway and decided to stay in the heart of the city of Norfolk. After calling and making our reservation we paid for a king room with a view of the bay. What we got when we opened out hotel room door was a wonderful view of the parking garage across the street. Thankfully they did quickly switch our room and placed us in a room that had a view of the water, but still was not waterfront. Let me first start with the overall positives: The hotel is in a good location downtown and very close to shopping and restaurants. Now that I have aid the only positive thing, let me go over the negatives: The lotion, shampoo, and soap in the bathroom were all 3/4 empty and the bathroom was absolutly filthy. The size of the room was big enough to fit 2 full size beds and that was it. The AC barely worked, the showerhead leaked excessivly which ended up flooding the floor in the morning, the room windows were greasy and fingerprint ridden. The next morning my wife and I talked to the manager about the problems and she said that she would credit us partially for our rate. In actuality what she did was charge 107.15(on top of our normal room charge) for our room and then credit 107.15 so that when you look at the room bill it appears that the credit was given. What a sly little manager. We stay at Marriotts all over the country and the Norflok Waterside lived up to the reputation of an Econo Lodge. Dont waste your hard earned money here. Do what my wife and I did and go to Virginia Beach and stay at the Hiton Oceanfront. The Hiton is a beautiful hotel and is definetely worth every penny.

1 Thank TBridge
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you encountered during your recent visit. In trying to do our investigation, we were unable to uncover your name and the date of your visit. This information would help us in making sure that you are compensated properly and in fixing the issues you experieinced. Please call the hotel at (757) 627-4200 and ask for Arnold Wong so that we may speak to you personally about your stay with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We are local residents who celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary by going to the Elton John concert and getting the "honeymoon package" at the Marriott.

Good things~Staff was friendly, room was clean but small, The piano room bartender was a lovely man and served us after closing time. Told us some nice stories of when entertainers stayed at the hotel

Bad things~We paid $30.00 extra for this package which was supposed to include chocolate covered strawberries, champagne and a complimentary breakfast. We were never told in advance we had to order the strawberries, and we were never told how this worked. I finally called the front desk and they said the strawberries and champagne would be right up. We waited two hours and it was never delivered; finally I called the front desk again, and was told I had ordered them to be delivered at 9PM that evening. I told them this was impossible since we would be at the Elton John concert at that time. They apologized and the delivery came within a half hour.

Breakfast in the room~ Food was delivered on time, (aat 8:00 am), but with no SILVERWARE and no napkins, no coffee for my husband, no creamer or sweetner. We called back and the silverware came up afterwards (we had started eating with our fingers before the food got cold). We had to use "used towels" for napkins.
'
We had barely begun our 8:00 am breakfast and the housekeeping staff knocked on the door to clean the room for the next clients. We explained we had been told we had a late checkout time of 11:00 but felt rushed so we left immediately after we finished breakfast at 9:00 with no leisure time afforded.

Upon checking out, we found the we had an extra $44.00 added to the bill for the "complimentary breakfast". The staff receptionist did take the charge off the account.

Bathroom~ Toilet would not flush the first time. We used the facility and the toilet only flushed on alternate flushes. Which meant you had to wait until the first unsuccessful flush refilled the tank and then had to reflush again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced during your recent stay. Your valuable comments have been shared with all departments in order to improve our service to all of our guests. We are never pleased when a review comes back with more "bad things" than "good things" and we look forward to correcting these issues so that we can concentrate on what is most important - our guests.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Very nice two night stay. Beautiful waterview room. Extremely helpful and pleasant check in staff when I arrived at 11:30 PM. I wish I could remember their names :) The only issue I had with the hotel was that at 6:30 AM when I was in the fitness center, the lights were on a timer and kept going out while I was on the treadmill!! I had to get off, walk by the front of the fitness center to turn them back on and then get BACK on the treadmill! Parking was expensive and internet access was really pricey too.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank celmo46
dwilke1, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 24 February 2011
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. As you experinced, we are very proud of our employees and the way they take care of each and every guest. Please accept our apology for the light issue in the fitness center, The lights are on a motion detector so that energy is not wasted when unoccupied and the override switch must have been turned on by accident. Both the garage and internet service are owned by a third party; unfortunately, the hotel has very little input in the pricing structure. From your other reviews, we can see that you like to travel. The next time you are in Norfolk, please come and visit us again. We are only right down the road from Dumfries.
norflok, virginia
Reviewed 15 February 2011

My wife and I decided to stay at the Waterside Marriott in Norfolk, Virginia for two weeks while our home was undergoing structural repairs. We were expecting an upscale environment with those little extras I had experienced during previous stays at Marriott facilities. The decision was a major mistake. The room was very small, had no refrigerator or microwave which are standard in most hotels and the TV did not receive most channels indicated as available on the hotel directory. The first night of our stay presented us with a roudy bunch of party-goers parading up and down the hallway yelling back and forth. This disturbance began at midnight and went on until 1:30 am; despite calls to the front desk. Additionally, the "engineering" staff did not come to our room to check the TV set operation. No explainations, or offers to switch rooms was made to us and we therefore checked out early. This will be our last stay at a Marriott.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scott000001
dwilke1, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 19 February 2011
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Our rooms do not have microwaves or refrigerators in them; however, both of these items may be requested free of charge. We should have offered you a viable option or addressed the other issues that you encountered and we did not. Please accept our sincere apology. Your comments have been shared with all departments in order to help increase the level of service to all of our guests.