“Comfortable Marriott”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Comfortable Marriott”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Marriott while attending a wedding. The hotel was charming and quite comfortable. The room was clean and bring and had great views of the water. The staff was very accommodating and the check-in & check-out process was seamless. Restaurant offered buffet breakfast, service was a little slow, but the restaurant was crowded.
The hotel is easy to get to as Norfolk goes and they offer valet parking or across-the-street self park garage with a connecting bridge to hotel. The Marriott is near an upscale mall, near the waterside park, near the battleship Wisconsin, and near some great little eateries. The area surrounding the Marriott appears to be going through a facelift or renovation so some roads are closed. Highly recommend the Marriott Waterside if you're staying downtown Norfolk.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
NorWatMar, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us, while you were attending a local wedding. We are glad that you chose us to be a part of this special day and that we could provide you with a charming and comfortable environment to stay in.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Thank you so much Rameka (front desk) from the making of the reservation to check out. My son enjoyed his birthday weekend.....he had no complaints, Thank you for your patience & assurance that everything would be fine. Each & every time I called you were there to answer my questions and I appreciate that considering I was calling from another state...it's rare plans work out as planned....it was an enjoyable weekend, his stay was great, the room & service was EXCELLENT! And it all started with you... :) THANKS AGAIN...!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robbin W
It is always our intent to make sure that all of our guest have a great experince like the one you and your son had. We are glad that you chose us to be a part of your son's birthday celebration and that Rameka and all of our staff could make this a special day for all.
North Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Attended this past weekend for a Navy Function, beautiful beautiful beautiful hotel! the lobby, the ball rooms, the terrace and the view, very disappointed with the room cleanliness though, the decor was very nice in the room, but went to the bathroom and my husband pointed out the wet area above the lighting fixture, it had mold and needed to be redone because of the water damage, plus the entry door looked as if someone broke it off to get it and did a botch paint job to cover it, wish the room reflected the beauty of this hotel...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. We are glad that you found the hotel to be "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful." The issues with the room have been shared with all departments to help improve our service to all of our guests.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had to be in Norfolk for business and was very pleased with my stay. I probably would not choose to stay here unless I had a reason to be in the immediate area, as at night the surrounding area seemed to quiet down and nearly close completely. That said, the hotel is very nice. Staff was quite accommodating and allowed me to check in early. The room was newly renovated and the bed was comfortable. Both the bathroom and the room could certainly have been larger, but unless you're a family of 4 trying to stay in one room I wouldn't think this is a problem. The concierge lounge staff was quite accommodating, and I would definitely recommend this Marriott over the Westin Virginia Beach if you need to be in this area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
NorWatMar, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent visit from up north. As you noticed, we just finished renovating all of our guest rooms in February. The surrounding area is also going through a transition period as the city is deciding what direction to take the waterside area. The next time you visit, make sure you explore Granbt Sreet. Only a block away from the hotel, it consists of several blocks of shops, restaurants and bars where there is definately night life.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My wife and I attended a social function at the Norfolk, Virginia Marriott Waterside in July 2013. The room was not overly large, but it was more than adequate for the two of us. The hotel staff was very accommodating and the service was very good. The hotel sits one block from the Elizabeth River and many Norfolk attractions such as a world war two Iowa class battleship which is open for tours. The hotel is located such that most places are reached by walking. We drove to Norfolk, but never took our car out of the garage. The hotel represented a great value for the amenities provided. We would definitely stay there on our next visit to this historical venue.
I don't know what the other reviewers expected, but my experience was definitely better than theirs.

Room Tip: Once you see your room, if it doesn't meet your expectations ask to move to a different room. If...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. As you witnessed during your stay, we are centrally located within walking distance to almost everything in downtown Norfolk. Sometimes it is nice to be able to park your car and not worry about driving to different places in an unfamiliar town.
Sioux Falls
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Marriott says it all with regard to the hotel and conditions. I've stayed at quite a few and have never been disappointed. Norfolk Waterside is no exception.

Beautiful facility, rooms, view with excellent pool and gym.

Incredible view from 6th floor patio/pool area.

Service.. see other reviews and I would concur. Disinterested and insincere.

We booked a discounted room and I tend to look the other way with regard to service as a result... but... one incident stands out. I had traveled 23 hours on the road to meet up with my son who is stationed in Norfolk. He was already checked in so when I was nearing the destination I asked him to bring a luggage cart out to the garage to meet me to bring in the luggage and care packages. When he asked for a cart the bell hops where very dismissive of his request if not rude. He gave up and just met me in the garage. It didn't bother him that they wouldn't let him use it but it bothered me... He was more than eager to make a couple trips bringing our things in but to be refused the use of a baggage cart seems a bit over the top too me. I understand the bellhops where protecting their tips and probably think those of us that choose to care for ourselves as cheapskates. He was a paying to stay in the hotel as a guest and any reasonable guest request should be fulfilled.. they acted as tho he was a hooligan and they don't let just anybody use the carts... anyway enough on that.

You can count on a beautiful view, great location and a clean quiet room.

Penny saver tip use the parking on Main as suggested in other reviews... 3rd floor sky-walk right into the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Please accept our sincere apology for not allowing your son to use a luggage cart. You are correct when you stated that any reasonable guest request should be fulfilled and in this case we failed. Regardless of what you are paying for a room or how you booked the room, you are a valued guest and should be treated as one.
Dumfries, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

As a frequent Marriott goer, I have come to expect a certain level of customer service. The staff was inattentive, and unfriendly. I had purchased a special deal through the hotel website offering Champaign and strawberries, I had to call 3 times to have them sent up as they were not waiting for me in the room. The hallways smelled of mildew, and the carpets was dingy. Charging what they do in comparison to the Courtyard Marriott which is down the road, your money would be better spent staying at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Stay at the Courtyard down the road. Its not beach front, but the service is better, the rooms are c...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experinced during your recent visit. There is no reason why you should have had to call three times to get your amenity delivered to your room. Any time a guest states that it is not what they expected, we hope that it was becasue we went above and beyond their expectations and not becasue we did not meet them. Your comments have been shared with all departments to improve our service to all of our guests.