“Not the best Marriott in Norfolk”

Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
“Not the best Marriott in Norfolk”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel and at the Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown…by far the Residence Inn is better. If you are a rewards member don't waste points here - if you do, don't expect the high level of benifits you're used to at other Marriott hotels.

An example…The Concierge service is not good at the Waterside - I have been to Marriott properties that have good food, beer and wine included. This property has terrible food (crackers and old cheese) and a cash bar. In contrast, the Residence Inn Norfolk does have good food (not sure if wine and beer as it's been a while)…

Have to admit that location is good and rooms are clean. Staff is also friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Loggo0404
Jeff C, Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We are sincerely sorry that our concierge lounge offerings did not meet your expectations. Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable towards achieving this goal and making improvements. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Also, thank you for your kind comments about the staff service. I hope that we have the opportunity again to serve you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
San Clemente, CA
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am a Lifetime Platinum Marriott guy and this place does not live up the standards of Marriott. There was a 4pm check in and they did not have a room until 4:45. I waited in the lobby as a premium member and did not get the feeling that anyone cared. The internet was out in the hotel for the entire 24 hour stay. I have NEVER been to a hotel that did not rectify a tech issue within a few hours until here. There is no where to park in the front and then when I went to get the car in the morning the spots that were available were filled with cars that were parked by the owners and they took the keys. There were even people sleeping in cars in the entrance and the valet and bell guys did not wake them so I had to load the car with my family in the street with my blinkers on. All this happened and there was no attempt by any hotel management staff to offer any ... anything to a executive client of Marriot. One of my worst experiences at Marriot ever. I hope that this was a one time event and they don't continue this poor hotel management as I believe Marriott is a well run hotel chain.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a view over the water. Obvious preference
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SurfRhino
John W, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear SurfRhino,

I sincerely apologize on behalf of our team of hosts. We clearly failed to deliver the high level of service expected of our Marriott name. We will take immediate action to investigate and improve our services.
I appreciate that you took the time to let us know your concerns. We are dedicated to being the best of Norfolk and you are helping us get there.
Please feel free to contact me directly so we can discuss the challenges you faced and make certain you are pleased with the resolutions.

Regards,

(757) 627-4200
Southern US
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently visited this hotel for the first time. The lobby was attractive, as was the pool area. The gym is a good size. The beds were extremely comfortable. The location is excellent. A large mall with a movie theater is within a comfortable walking distance, and there are a lot of choices of places to eat, including a Shula's in the lobby. What really stood out was the staff - I found them to be very friendly and helpful. The bellmen were very accommodating in providing assistance with parking our vehicle and giving directions. Teri , the assistant front office manager, was extremely helpful as well. Henry, the bartender, was a lot of fun. Twakita, who serviced our room, provided excellent service and did a great job. The concierge lounge was a welcome convenience. It offered a hearty breakfast, as well as snacks and dessert at night. I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Swimmy4,

What a great review. Thank you so much for recognizing our Brilliant Hosts by name. We share these reviews with them along with an award for their dedication to service. Many of our guests relate how friendly our team is and we love to hear back from all of you.
As you stated, the Norfolk Marriott Waterside is very well located to enjoy all that Norfolk has to offer from the Museums, shopping, dining out or in and the waterside festivities that take place here.
We look forward to your return visits to our home. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Have a wonderful day,

St. John
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is one of Marriott's prime locations. Very central to Norfolk and many rooms offer a great view of the river - particularly spectacular for Harbor Fest and related events at Waterside Park. We took advantage of the $20/day parking which worked very well. Covered parking across the street with a bridge to the Marriott. Easy in and out.

The room was spacious enough, and VERY comfortable bed with outstanding linens. Basic Wi-Fi was free although not advertised, you have to ask. Really high speed connections were extra cost.

Initial problem with the TV was resolved within 5 minutes of calling the front desk. I give maintenance 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor with river view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
John W, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Fullervi,

Thank you for recognizing our expeditious engineering team and for giving our brilliant hosts an excellent score. We will share your comments with the entire team. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your feedback with us.
We are definitely very well located for all of the various festivals and events here in Norfolk. Our proximity to the attractions, shopping and entertainment is quite convenient.
We look forward to your next visit to the Norfolk Marriott Waterside.

Again, thank you.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 June 2014

As a business traveler heading to a conference, I was interested to see where the hotel was situated. Its a nice Marriott in an excellent location, currently surrounded by a lot of renovation and construction in Norfolk (not the hotel's issue).

I was given a room on a high floor (24) that overlooks the city portion with views of the MacArthur Center Mall (2 blocks away). I didn't come to the conference to spend much time in room - only what was necessary.

The meeting room facilities are great - spacious, comfortable and easy to access.

My room had a nice comfortable bed, a nice flat screen television, easy to use central air conditioning, and an older bathroom. The bath/shower had evidence of mildew that should be scraped out and replaced for guests. I am sure the cleaner tried but couldn't get it out because it was in the caulk.

The toilet didn't work upon arrival and I was able to temporarily fix it. I called the front desk twice (once the first night and once the next morning). I reminded the cleaning person who said she would tell maintenance. When I returned from a morning and afternoon of conference sessions, no repair was made. I took it upon myself to repair it and I did an excellent job. I am very surprised with the lack of maintenance response by the hotel.

I'm enjoying my visit and will be leaving in another day.

Like all good hotels, there are always some kinks. I won't take away from the cleanliness of the room, the friendliness of the front desk clerks, and the best housekeeper in the hotel. I'm sure maintenance had other priorities, I just wished I knew whether an attempt was made or not.

Great location, comfortable bed, nice room, great price.

Room Tip: I like an upper floor. I would recommend a water view (I didn't get one). I always ask for a r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
John W, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Owen A.,
Thank you for the great feedback regarding your stay. We will immediately pursue resolution for the maintenance response issues you encountered. Our goal is Brilliant Hosting here at the Norfolk Marriott Waterside and your feedback will allows us to improve.
We look forward to your future visits to our area and want our home to become your home away from home.
Please feel free to contact us for your next stay so we can make certain it is an exceptional one.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Hampton
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott early June 2014 for two nights, Friday and Saturday, while we were in town for Harborfest. We used to stay across the water and ferry over. However, for convenience, we will now always reserve a room at this Marriott. It is directly across the street from Town Point Park. Parking was easy in the parking garage next door to the hotel, and if you park on level two, there is a walkway directly into the hotel. We tried to check in remotely with the Marriott app but were unsuccessful, so we checked in the old fashioned way. Check in was quick and seamless. Our room was river view as requested and very clean. The coffee pot worked and the housekeeping staff gave us extra coffee pods on request. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was clean and neat. We swam in the indoor pool. They have towels right at the pool for your convenience and the pool area was very clean and well maintained. Great stay, great visit!

Room Tip: Request a river view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mare4,
We are glad you chose our location for your recent visit during Harborfest. Thank you for letting us know about the remote check in item. We will take immediate action to rectify any problems with that process.
We really appreciate your positive response regarding your visit here and look forward to your next journey to our area. We are the most centrally located hotel for the Town Point events held in this area and many guests prefer the Norfolk Marriott Waterside for that reason, not to mention the great team of Brilliant Hosts.

Thank you very much for the positive review and feedback.

Regards,

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have visited this hotel many, many times and have never been disappointed. The staff make you feel welcome and will do all in their power to meet your needs. The Concierge Lounge is outstanding, the staff here are truly outstanding. The view is great and it is within walking distance of many great restaurants including Shula's which is in the lobby.

Room Tip: ask for riverside
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
John W, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Bill W.,
Thank you for the fantastic review!! We will be sure to recognize the Concierge Hosts that you refer to regarding the positive feedback. They will be absolutely delighted. We look forward to your next visit to our home here at the Marriott Norfolk Waterside.

Again, thank you for sharing.