“Nice Hotel near Downtown”

Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very nice location near the mall and many other landmarks. We actually stayed one night and can't complain. It was a business trip and we didn't get to use the amenities such as the pool. Interior design is very nice. There is a lounge and bar on the 6th floor for networking you will meet nice people.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Deydre M
NorWatMar, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Deydre M
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit for business. We are very fortunate to be centrally located near Mac Arthur Mall, Nauticus Museum, Town Point Park and all the shopping and restaurants on Granby Street. In addition to the lounge and bar on the 2nd floor, we have Shula's 347 Grill for your dining pleasure.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I'm at Marriott properties around 20 nights a year for business.

Nice property. But needs a bit if TLC.

Other issues:
Checked in past midnight. Was in room on 7th floor above pool (pool on 6th floor). Ventilation must be shared with pool area. Had to change rooms next morning after sleeping a night in room on 7th with an overpowering chlorine smell.

Not picky. But this area REALLY had a dizzying smell of chlorine.

Once moved to 16th floor. Room was up to par.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Bon_temps_rouler_Guy,
Please accept our sincere apology for the issue you had with the chlorine smell. We have checked all our ventilation systems and everything is working properly. Your comments have been shared with our engineering department so that they can monitor this situation.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Room was okay with the exception of not having a microwave in the room. I was booked for three nights, and the website stated that microwave available upon request. While on the highway driving from Washington, D.C., I phoned ahead to make sure there was a fridge and microwave in the room, and the desk clerk told me to make request for microwave when I get to hotel. My boyfriend and I checked in just in enough time t make the concert we came to see so I inquired on the microwave again the next morning. A different desk clerk told me she would do a search and call me back. Unfortunately, hours passed without receiving a return call. I called back because I wanted to reheat my leftovers, and needed a microwave. The clerk told me she was waiting for everyone to check out so a search could be done for one. Still no call back so my boyfriend spoke to the manager, and the manager stated the hotel only had a few microwaves for the entire hotel. That was very disappointing because one would think that patrons who book several days would receive first preference. Not to mention, the website should not state microwaves available upon request. Who doesn't have a microwave in this day and age? Oh.....Norfolk Waterside Marriott. At the very least, the clerk could have returned my call stating the bad news without us having the call the manager for an answer. Very bad customer service. The final thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was all the restaurants in the hotel and nearby closed so early on the weekend. Our concert ended at 11:00 (which was a celebration for my birthday), and I had to settle for some pizza delivery on my birthday. What a disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
NorWatMar, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear UBFINE,
Please accept our sincere apology for not getting your microwave during your stay with us. Microwaves and refrigerators are complimentary upon request on a first come first serve basis. It is unfortunate that sometimes we cannot fill all of our guest's request for these items. We should have done a better job in communicating this issue to you - sorry. As far as the restaurants closing early on the weekends, that is out of our control. Shula's 347 Grill does stay open until 1pm on Friday and Saturday for our guest dining pleasure.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed for 3 days while our company conducted meetings and events here in May of 2014. The accommodations were good, as my room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is outdated, but the staff was very friendly, and the hotel is located close to the water and some shopping and restaurant areas (although many chain places).

The parking can be tricky, as there is a Waterside parking lot before the hotel as you're coming into town. This is not associated with the hotel, so you will have to move your car or pay the public lot fee. I believe the Marriott lot was $13 a night for a car. I don't consider that too unreasonable for downtown lodging.

The food is typical hotel food. I'd skip the room service and grab some local seafood. Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear DeniseH
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us while your company conducted their meetings. We are very fortunate to be cnetrally located in downtown Norfolk within walking distance of the Elizabeth River, MacArthur Mall, Town Point Park, and all the restaurants on Granby Street. Both of the parking garages used for the hotel are owned and managed by the city of Norfolk. It is always nice to hear your room was clean and comfortable and that the staff was very friendly - thank you.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I thought the location of the hotel and the service were excellent. It is a mostly a typical Marriott property with the usual rooms, great bed, etc. However, the grand lobby is classically beautiful (feels like you are stepping back about 50 years) and there seems to a little bit of a nostalgic charm throughout. Though not a fan of valet parking, the attendants do an outstanding job and had my car ready within minutes of my calling. The concierge lounge also has a great view and the treats offered I thought were better than average.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
NorWatMar, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Jose O,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. We believe in ole fashion southern hospitality which you saw as outstanding valet attendants and excellent service. Not only are we a great Marriott for business, but pleasure as well.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this Marriott. The room decor was nice and has been recently updated. Because it is an older hotel the room size was small but adequate. We enjoyed the restaurants in the hotel and the food was really good. The breakfast buffet is nice but needs to have a different configuration to better accommodate the number of people who frequent the buffet. The line was very long to go through the breakfast buffet and could not accommodate the amount of people on Saturday morning. If I return to Norfolk I would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank hobiecatsailor
NorWatMar, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Hobiecatsalior,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us. We have just finished a renovation of both our guest rooms and the convention space and have created an updated, vibrant new hotel for all of our guest to enjoy. Your comments about the buffet line have been shared with our team with the aim to improve all of our guests dining experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We are Marriott gold, and yet we generally prefer Residence Inns and Spring Hill Suites over Marriott Hotel brand properties. The concept behind the Marriott Hotel brand is high end highrise hotels that justify their price by their primo locations and by having real restaurants, real bars and usually great pools and spas on site. They are particularly appealing to business people on expense accounts or people who can afford to prefer spas and great locations to amenities that other Marriott brands routinely offer like free breakfast, microwaves and refrigerators.

As I said, we aren't usually Marriott Hotel fans but we thought that it would be great fun to view the Norfolk July 4th fireworks from this perfectly situated hotel. Unfortunately the fireworks were cancelled (thanks Hurricane Arthur - YUK!) so we only stayed one night and moved on. However, that one night was just great! When we told the front desk that we were cancelling the second night they were gracious and kind. The bartender in the second floor bar was absolutely amazing. The drinks and sandwiches that he served were excellent and his demeanor was reminiscent of a British butler. Too cool. The waterside location brought a couple of great water tour opportunities within our grasp. Our waterside view was an incredible corner room with water views on both sides. I spent many afternoon, evening, night time and early morning moments enjoying that view. Just awesome, and great value!

Having said all of that, checkin at this hotel is not for the faint of heart. There are only three or four spots to park your car during checkin and unloading and everyone is vying for a parking space. We circled the property several times before we got a chance to park, and then it was a tight fit and a scene of dodge-em-cars. At checkout my husband had to park half way done the block and the bellman and I had to drag our bags to him. With what you have to spend for parking you don't expect this kind of hassle at checkin and checkout. This is a definite major flaw in an otherwise well appointed Marriott Hotel property.

If you are looking for a full service hotel in Norfolk, with a great view, a feeling of luxury and complete with all of the amenities, then I recommend this hotel. If you are looking for a hotel with free breakfast, refrigerators and microwaves in the room and/or with convenient parking, this may not be the best Norfolk hotel for you.

Room Tip: If you have booked something waterside arrive early. Not all views here are equal.