“very clean”

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Chesapeake, Virginia
“very clean”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

i staid there with my co-worker and we had good time. rooms are newly renoveted, beds are very comfortable. very clean, we will go there for every time we will have any job to do in norfolk. me and my whole group like this hotel, also hotel location is very nice. evrything is close by even shopping mall for free time. free wifi, free breakfast and safe.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Vishal P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thanks you very much for your review.

We will look forward for your future stay.

Sincerely

Vishal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This hotel is not fancy but really Clean and the rooms are newly renovated. Staff is really helpful & friendly too. They had done new bathroom, carpet, furniture, new walls, & Lobby. Their rates was also low compared to other economical brand. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is travelling to Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vishal P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank You Very much for your Fantastic review and you most welcome for your next visit in Town.

Sincerely

Vishal
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

your hotel was fantastic ! i was blown away by far the best econo lodge in virginia beach ! gotta say keep up the work guys ! This has been a good experiance for me and my family, all i have to say is all the travelers passing by econo lodge i suggest you take a stop and get a room

Room Tip: stay at this hotel ! hotel has a very nice quality and rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vishal P, Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Thank You Very much for your Business and review for Econo lodge, Norfolk, VA.
You most Welcome for Next stay and we will try to make your stay better than what you had last time.
Bethel, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This was a nice stay.I was surprise to receive such a nice room at Econo lodge near Norfolk state university for the price paid.The room is just remodeled nice & clean.Staff is very helpful & knowledgeable .I would recommend this place & stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you very much for review. For next stay we will try our best to make your stay better than what you had.

we are all looking forward to your return in future.
Whitefish, Montana
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My father and I stayed there for a week, because our church booked us there, as they are pet friendly, and we needed a place that would allow us to have our dog. The room was filthy; there was a half smoked blunt on the floor (this was a non smoking room), there was a used magnum condom under one of the outdated/over used mattresses, and the carpet was, well.... I accidentally knocked over the dogs water pail, and when I put a towel down to soak up the water, the white towel turned dark brown (the carpet was a hunter green color). The card lock was working, however, the mechanism's guts were falling out, and the handle wouldn't open the door. When we asked the front desk, the man (with broken English at best) put his shoulder into the door to pop it open, meaning the card key and handle were just for show I assume. There was no remote for the TV that had lines going through the tube screen, and was fuzzy at best.

There were cigarette burn marks all over the tub, and while I am writing about the bathroom, I would like to mention that the ceiling was falling apart, literally! The "pop corn" Spackle" was peeling?... that is the only way I can describe it. There was some sort of putty filling a hole that was in the shower insert, and the shower head was held in the drywall with similar putty fixing the hole in the shower insert. The dresser had a drawer that was falling off, the desk had no chair with it. None of the wall lamps worked but I will just assume that was because there were no bulbs in them.

Almost all the other rooms were being demoed and remodeled, and the rooms that weren't being worked on, were occupied by hookers, and their pimps, literally! I stepped out for a cigarette once, and someone from the apartments behind the hotel walked over and tried to bum one from me, and I most likely would have given him one, had he not told me that he hadn't had one all day, yet was smoking one while he was asking me. I asked him instead, if he had ever seen a Glock 40 up close, and he turned and ran away ( I was unarmed ). The continental breakfast consisted of cool coffee, that is, if you could get a cup after the employees.

We stayed for a week, only because the church had payed in advance and it was non refundable because of our dog. Don't bother putting the do not disturb/no service sign up, because they will knock until you answer anyway. The slide lock may have slowed their entry had it not been for the fact that one side was missing and the other was held kind of in, with a drywall crew into the stripped hole in the steel doorjamb.

The free WiFi? They had two routers, and both connect locations wouldn't work ninety percent on the time, and when I walked down and asked if they could reset their routers, they said "no". Perhaps that was just a language barrier, as I speak English, Spanish, and some Russian, but not Tibet-ten?

Since moved to the Red Roof Inn about 4 miles into Chesapeake; pet friendly with no extra charge, the room is literally twice as big, they are roughly $50.00 cheaper per week than Econo, the rooms are all new and updated even with flat screen TV's, WiFi that is lightning fast, the front desk help speaks and UNDERSTANDS English, unlike Econo.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 6foot842098
Vishal P, Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
thanks a lot for review and you most welcome for your next stay at our hotel and we will try to make your stay than your last stay.
Pgh PA
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We had just enough choice points for the "6000" level which found us this "gem" I had low expectations being on the low point level and other reviews but we still gave it a chance. Its in a seedy section of town. I would'nt say bad section but its not a real nice section either.The way the property sits on the highway it very hard to even turn into. It is older, 2 story outside motel. We normally like outside access rooms because its easier load/unloading the car with the kids. I did feel safer with the car outside the door but the noise level kept us up a lot of the night. Many of the neighbors had no disregard they were at a motel and yelled all night. The person above us let their TV blair loud till the wee hours of the morning. I know some noise is unavoidable, but the crowd staying at this hotel was rude. I was glad the car was still there in the morning. A trip into the bathroom gave me a run-in with a 2' long "critter" I'm not sure what this guy was. My husband said grass-hopper but it never jumped, just crawled fast. That gave me sweet dreams the rest of the night...The place seemed a bit dirty and this proved true after I looked at all our socks and just pitched them. I didn't want to take anything out of there unless I had to. Didnt want to take any "friends" home with me! The shower strained to drain and gave an unpleasant shower experience. The free breakfast was juice and a few pieces of bread, that was it. The breakfast bar was only about 3-4 feet long. It was a joke! I would not even use points to stay here again let alone pay for this "beauty"!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MellyRussi
Vishal P, Manager at Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Econo Lodge, Norfolk VA. Your comments are one of the best tools we have for maintaining the highest level of comfort and service our guests expect and deserve. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experience at our hotel. Our Hotel had change of Ownership and Mangement in July 2012. We started to renovate the entire hotel in November 2012 and it should be finished by April 2013. Under new management and new ownership, you or anyother guest will not have to go through this again. we have renovated & redesigned our guest room and updated our aminities. We have put some of the new rooms pictures online on Choicehotels.com. We hope to provide you with the best possible guest satisfaction on your next visit. I hope this don't deter you from staying with us again in future. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience you experience at our hotel.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I registered online and chose a doublebed, microwave, refrigerator, high speed internet, and safe.. As soon as I entered the room I noticed there was no microwave or refrigerator, I called the front desk to be told that not all the rooms had these and that none were available due to the amount of live ins they had there but to feel free to use the microwave in the lobby. I could'nt get my computer to work so I called back to be told that it should pick up in that room. Later when using the restroom the door knob was broke so the door wouldn't stay shut and the toilet would not flush, called again, the gentleman came in and took the tank top off and says you have to jingle the chain when it does that. No I don't think so, thank goodness it kept working. When checking out I went in for the continental breakfast only to be met by other angry guest who also wanted the breakfast but found out there wasn't any and one of the live in says there never is. There was mildew in the shower and people were outside all night making so much noise we couldn't sleep. This was indeed a nightmare

Room Tip: Please find yourself another hoted.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rachel S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#23 of 37 in Norfolk
Sleep Inn Lake Wright - Norfolk Airport
Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Norfolk Airport
Quality Suites at Lake Wright
Super Value Inn Ports Mouth/Olde Town Area

Been to Econo Lodge Near Norfolk State University? Share your experiences!