“Stay Away!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Please keep in mind I travel every week for work. 3 nights in a hotel on average, mostly Hiltons. I don't normally put up reviews, but had to so that other travelers don't encounter what I have.

The employees here are friendly. Couldn't be nicer. The problem is that their systems, computers, etc don't work.

I checked in, but the key machine wasn't working so I sat in the lobby for 15 minutes. Instead of keeping me waiting they walked me into the room to wait until the machine was fixed.

The biggest problem was the internet. It barely worked the entire visit. To make this problem worse, cell service is horrible here as well. I know that the cell issue is not necessarily the hotels, but with the internet being so bad it doesn't help.

If you don't need internet or cell service you will enjoy your stay. If you need either I highly recommend staying away. Just a thought from a Hilton Diamond member and big Hilton fan.

1  Thank Valerie D
DellE1992, Executive Assistant at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us, and I addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise. Your feedback helps us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Esther

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I have stayed at several Doubletree Hotels for business, and this one was by far the worst. When I arrived there was a line of 10 people waiting to check in. I will say they passed out water and cookies while we waited, which was considerate. I didn't have a room service menu in my room, so I called down for one to be sent up. After 25 minutes of unsuccessful waiting, I went downstairs to the restaurant Max & Ermas, waited for 10 minutes for someone to seat me, and finally gave up and decided on room service. I called room service again frustrated, which is where it all turned around. Thor answered and apologized, and within minutes he was at my door with a menu. I was starving at this point, so he was kind enough to wait and take my order so he could put it in right away. He apologized several times for the service I experienced earlier in the night. After 30 minutes, he was at my door with my food, and even called 30 minutes later to check in to see if I was happy with dinner. Thor is the reason this review went from being a 2 to a 3, he provided excellent customer service!

Room Tip: Thin walls!
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I travel often for work, and am a HiltonHonors Gold member. When possible, I prefer to stay at a Hilton hotel, as they are consistent with great customer service and cleanliness!

My coworker, Carol, and I arrived late after bad weather delayed our flights and a series of mishaps with lost luggage. We were greeted by smiling faces at check-in and those phenomenal cookies. (Carol demolished hers within 5 seconds- "THAT was the best cookie EVER!")

Okay, so the rooms are not at Conrad status (anyone who has ever stayed at a Conrad knows what I mean), but they were clean and comfortable. Free wi-fi and mini-fridge (which are a rarity nowadays at other hotels). The hotel gym was small, but had pretty good equipment with towels and a water cooler. While I did not utilize the pools, there seemed to be quite a few who enjoyed them. I ate breakfast every day at Max & Erma's, which had quite a good variety (with an omelette/waffle station). The staff in M & E's became like family- we also ate there a few times for dinner, and everything was delicious! The front desk personnel are amazing, and provided us with many cookies during our stay! (I am not going to lie- this did make up for it not being a Conrad with a waterfall shower...) The housekeeping staff was pretty amazing, too- it is so nice to return "home" at the end of the day and find your room spotless, coffee stock replenished, clean bedding (I swear they changed it every day!) and a note telling you to have a good day! My coworker, too, was pleased with her room and accommodations- she had nothing negative at all to say- it may have been based on her fondness for those cookies!

It is an older hotel. But the staff really goes out of their way to maintain it!

This was definitely a great place to stay for 2 weeks for business! Fantastic location (close to the interstate and close to the airport), but that was based on me. If I was on holiday, though, I'd probably book closer to VA Beach, as it is a drive... But definitely perfect for the business traveler!

I will give Hilton a high-5- they always make me feel like family no matter where in the world (literally) I go!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a hotel close to VA Beach, this is not the one. But if you are a business tr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Nice stay...Beverly from house keeping left a nice little note which always adds a personal touch to the experience. I chose this hotel because it was close, almost within walking distance to my place of business and centrally located to my evening entertainment and meal excursions. Would have preferred a complimentary breakfast as part of the room rate, but one cannot have everything.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 23 August 2014

A very nice stay. Room and Hotel were both very clean and quiet. The front desk staff as well as the shuttle driver very friendly and helpful. Convenient to airport. Will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
DellE1992, Executive Assistant at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation. We look forward to having you as a guest in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had to give a poor review for service because of one individual at the front desk. The lady checking me in was wonderful but another lady at the front desk was very rude. She practically barked out that check in was not until 4 after I told the lady that was checking me in that I would prefer not to be on the first floor. It was 3:25 at the time and I would not have a problem waiting if I had to. I felt like asking the rude woman if I should go drive around the parking lot until 4. I have talked to the manager about this person so maybe things will improve. I have stayed at this hotel before and until this one episode things have been great. Everyone else with the staff were very kind and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Im usually not very picky but for a newly renovated hotel it still needs some work. Staff was great, location was good, we didn't eat here due to our schedules so i can't comment on that. When we arrived 3pm there was a salad outside the elevator on the window ledge, when we left the next day at 8am it was still there, I found that kind of strange since eveyone entering the floor saw it too. You can see some updates have been made to the hotel but it still needs work. Room was ok and seemed to be clean. I might try the Hampton next door next time since it looks newer. I'll be back in October and do a review of that one to compare them. I was expecting better since it used to be a Hilton before the renovation..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, we appreciate feedback of all types as it assists us in making improvements to our product and service. Although, we recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation, there is always room for improvement. We appreciate your input and hope should you find yourself traveling to our area again, that you will afford us an opportunity to provide you the VIP treatment you expect from a Hilton Family hotel.