“Not impressed with the condition of my room.”

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The bathroom in my room required some attention. The tub was not cleaned properly, missing towels, the bed moved up and down like a sea-saw. I complained to the mgr at check out and she totally ignored my concerns .

Not so happy in Norfolk ,va

• Stayed: May 2014
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

It is disappointing to know that we did not make a better impression during your recent visit with us. On behalf of our housekeeping staff, I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies that your bathroom was not in it best condition. We regret that we missed this opportunity to rectify any concerns at the time of your visit and we hope you'll someday allow us the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have stayed in many hotels, but this is by far the worst. The room that we were in at first glance was great...... Unfortunately for us we had to which rooms due to the bed linen not being washed, bathroom laced with some else's hair. To add insult to injury we move to an even worse floor and room. The floor we moved to smelled really bad someone had brought their dog and you could tell by the smell. Not to mention that the phone in our room didn't work so I had to go to the lobby to ask a simple question, and I am 9 months Pregnant. So not happy.

• Stayed: May 2014
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

We never like to learn when a guest leaves our hotel and feels disappointed with their experience. As a pet-friendly hotel, please accept our apologies for any inconveniences you experienced with your room accommodations. Our phones have more than one line so you do have to push the button down to get a dial tone. We deeply regret any difficulties. It is clear from your review that we missed an opportunity to create a truly memorable experience and we hope you will someday allow us the chance to welcome you again.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel is situated withing walking distance to many popular Norfolk dining locations, attractions and the popular Beer Festival, making it an ideal choice for the casual traveler or business professional. Plenty to see and do within a short walk in this quiet, clean neighborhood.

The dining area has an "open" feel with optional outdoor bay-side tables, perfect for enjoying an evening cocktail. Breakfast bar is well stocked with a wide variety of options including a custom omelet station and waffle station.

Fitness facilities are adequate with an onsite outdoor pool. I highly suggest forgoing the treadmill, though, if weather permits to take a stroll or jog along the quiet and picturesque waterfront.

Room service options are limited, but the crab cake is worth ordering, as is the cheesecake for a late night or mid-afternoon indulgence.

The hotel was quiet during my stay, as I expect it is throughout the year.

The little touches like extra toiletries (shaver, mouthwash, toothpaste) in the room was a nice touch for short-term travelers. Starbucks coffee for the in-room coffee maker was also a pleasant find.

Service is great, rooms are spacious, and the beds are quite comfortable. Overall, you will have a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbor view, gorgeous day and night!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

The Virginia Beer Festival is certainly a popular event here in Norfolk! It is always exciting to offer a convenient location to Town Point Park and the surrounding Norfolk attractions. Thank you for highlighting our central location, as well as our amenities and extra toiletries. We truly appreciate your sentiments expressed in your review and we hope you'll choose to stay with us again at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night recently. You get everything that you would expect a a typical Sheraton property. The rooms were clean, the lobby was spotless and well kept.

My only complaint which is nothing major is that the age shows in certain areas. For example, there was rust showing in the shower area, and peeling wallpaper.

The waterside area has definently went downhill since the last time I was there. The only thing in the marketplace that was open were restaurants.

All in all I would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We are happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and we are looking forward to your next visit. We are conveniently located near many top attractions in Norfolk and Virginia Beach and our staff would be more than happy to direct you to the best places to go during your next stay.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my second stay for a conference at this hotel. In both cases the conference spaces were nice and practical. The conference food was very tastey. My room had a harborview as requested which I enjoyed. My king-sized bed was oh so comfortable making rest and relaxation easy to find. The room was serviced everyday. The hotel was within easy walking distance to Joe's Crab Shack next door and we walked to the mall a couple of times. The area seemed to be pretty deserted at night, but we were told the area was pretty safe to walk in and we had no indications otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask for a harborview room
1  Thank Kingsport_traveller
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

We are glad you enjoyed our clean and comfortable accommodations at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. It was a pleasure to welcome you back for the conference and we thank you for sharing your guest perspective. We are delighted to see that you were satisfied with your accommodations and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I travel 250 - 275 days a year. I stay at a lot of hotels. This was by far one of the worst within which I have stayed in a LONG time. First, the title - I am not joking when I report that cockroaches were indeed found in my she-crab soup. That wouldn't have been so bad if it were not for the initial attitude I received regarding that incident after I reported it. But that was just the tip of the iceberg at this very worn down, older hotel. It was just a truly bad experience for my party of 5 separate rooms on 10th floor for my work team. All of us experienced multiple days (3 of 7 days for me) in which we received NO cleaning service in our rooms. None of us had "Do Not Disturb" signs on our door and all of us were out by 9A each day we were at this hotel. With the exception of the front desk staff and a couple of bartenders, the rest of the staff is extremely rude - well beyond anything I have ever experienced in my 63 countries of travel. In fact, we all felt down-right hated. The breakfast buffet was comprised of old, cold food - and a complaint will be handled with disdain. If internet is important to you - this is definitely NOT your spot. Like so many other shortcomings at this property, each of us experienced massive challenges with the antiquated system. The rooms themselves run about 75-80 degrees (AC dis not work in 4 of the 5 rooms we had). Be prepared to sweat. Finally, although on the water, this hotel does not have "water views" in the room as such. Yes, windows face the water, but they are oddly high windows that are pretty filthy. Please do yourself a favor and either stay at the nearby Marriott properties or commute from one of the not-to-distant Virginia Beach offerings that are newer, cleaner, more accommodating, and equally well priced.

7  Thank Jim O

Please accept our deepest apologies for the incident. We assure you that we take these allegations very seriously. After thorough investigation it was made clear that the unknown object in your soup was nothing more than a piece of crab shell. We have a professional exterminator, ECOLAB, that services our hotel and we will be more than happy to share inspections and treatments as needed. Regarding your experience with our housekeeping, we carefully monitor all guest complaints and did not find any complaint about your room not being serviced. We always encourage our guests to reach out to us during their stay so we may immediately resolve any concerns and create the best possible experience. We deeply regret your disappointment and appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel as I was attending a conference there. I found the staff to be extremely helpful, the room to be very pleasant and the restaurant was very good, with friendly staff. It was nice to have internet access for free - and even access to a printer. If you are visiting Norfolk, I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We are extremely pleased to learn that your stay was so pleasant. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, accommodations and City Dock Restaurant. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.