“Time for a change unless they refresh”

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
San Francisco, California
“Time for a change unless they refresh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I stay here as a loyal platinum spg member 2-3 times a year due to visiting the family however it seems to get worse each time.
The staffing after 7-8 pm onward is terribly light...I was told there only 2 staff in the entire hotel when asked for a new key card to be brought to my floor cause the one I was just issued was not working and I was exhausted and would prefer not to have waled back down to the understaffed front desk.
The dorms need a desperate refresh and after asking for the remote to the tv which was no where to be found it NEVER arrived.its bad when you have a suite and the toilet paper holder is bolted sideways to the wall caused it's been re mounted so many times and the. To have no tv access...which I asked for a remote several times till I figured they didn't want me to watch the tv
This hotel needs a room refresh and a staff increase
If only there was another Starwood choice in downtown Norfolk but that's probably why it's the way it is ...no other brands near by ???

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Darryl M
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. While we greatly appreciate your loyalty in our hotel and the SPG program, we are disheartened to learn of the difficulties you encountered. It is disappointing to learn that the high standards of customer service we have set in place were not evident during your visit with us. Please know that we will be sharing your concerns with our management team and we hope you will continue to stay with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
National Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

MY wife and I spent 5 days at this hotel over the July 4 week. Hotel is in a great location along the riverfront in Norfolk. Rooms were just ok, beds comfortable, not a lot of room. Bathrooms were just average. No refrigerators or microwave.9:95$ a day for wifi connection is absurd. 12'00$ a day for self parking or $20.00 a day for valet is also terrible. Restaurant was very expensive and we did not eat there. It looked like there outdoor pool was large as was there exercise room. The room was clean and the front desk very helpful. The waterfront is a nice area to walk around. But the area is dead.

Room Tip: Good location. Try to get a waterfront room with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JoeSchwartz
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend your Fourth of July getaway at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. While it was a pleasure to accommodate you over the holiday, we do regret to learn that we were not able to fully impress you in every way. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon and exceed all your expectations.
Highbridge UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Where do I start to describe my awful experience in this hotel

At check in the gentleman behind the counter seemed incapable of smiling looking at me or talking in sentences longer than 2 words - his first words were ID ? When I asked about the balcony room we had requested his response was yes

Everyone has a bad day so i let it go.

When we got to the room it was ok the beds were comfortable but the valance on one bed was filthy and stained with what i imagined was coke or coffee but what was missing was a balcony

I went downstairs to request a balcony room to be told that balcony rooms were not guaranteed (I booked this room 8 months before our trip ). I waited for a further response but none was forthcoming. I then had to ask if there were any balcony rooms available and waited for what i assumed would be no but was stunned to be told yes there were but again no offer to change my room until i insisted they did - unbelievable !!

I then told the young lady about the valance being astained to which her response was " thats ok the housekeeping staff will see to it before another guest is given the room " . The fact that I had just been given the room seemed to pass her by

The second room also had stains on the valances on both beds but by that time I had lost the will to live yet alone interact with any staff

When we were staying at the Sheraton at Heathrow we were given a Sheraton members card which gave us 10 % discount at the restaurant there so I asked later if we enjoyed any offers in the Norfolk Sheraton and the answer was no which is fine
but I could have done without the accompanying almost condescending smile

The hotel provides a smoking area outside but when I was smoking a guy sat there asked me for a few dollars which me me very uncomfortable. I mentioned this to reception who apologised but the man remained there for the rest of the evening and whenever I was downstairs the next day he was still there !

On a positive note the valet staff were excellent and the view from the balcony was great and the hotel is well situated for the harbour attractions and huge shopping mall

I will never use a Sheraton hotel again EVER and would like to suggest you never use the one in Norfolk

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay get a balcony room with a harbour view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CraigBarnett
We'd like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you encountered while with us. It is truly disappointing to know that your experience did not reflect our usual high standards of customer service and I assure you that your comments will be shared with our management team and staff. We are continually looking for new ways to improve the experience for our guests and appreciate your candid feedback. We hope you will someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Windsor, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our room was clean but no fridge and the door banging in the morning was a little much. The staff was friendly and the waterside walk in the evenings was beautiful. The hotel restaurant was rather pricy so we opted to eat out but we did enjoy a cocktail after our travels and the staff was very accommodating. The morning breakfast was also a bit steep so we only ate their once as it was convenient. The service was fabulous though.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the water have a spectacular view. The rooms run a tad warm.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
We truly appreciate that you've taken the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We always want to make sure that each of our guests enjoys the very best stay and regret the inconveniences that you encountered during your time with us. Keep in mind that refrigerators are available upon request. It is disappointing to learn that we did not meet your expectations in every way and we hope you will someday allow us another chance to welcome you again.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel in early June of this year. The Hotel is lovely and the rooms are very nice. Front Desk Staff and Valet/Bellman are very friendly and helpful. My issue is with housekeeping. They did not replace the towels or pick-up used glasses and replace them. It was not so bad day one, but on day 2 nothing was replaced again. I stayed at this hotel last year as well and had the same issue. I do not mind using my towels more than one time, but it was hot and some days I showered more than once.....damp towels are no fun. Other than this isssue I find the Sheraton to be a really nice hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the Elizabeth River.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank athomeinpositano
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
It is our goal to provide exceptional service to each and every one of our guests. While we greatly appreciate the kind sentiments you've shared for our front desk staff and valet/bellman, it is disappointing to read your experience with our housekeeping service. Please be assured that we will be passing your review along to the head of our housekeeping department for further review. We apologize for any inconveniences and hope you'll allow us another chance to impress you in the future.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

The room we stayed in was spacious and had a fridge. I called the front desk to make sure that we didn't get charged for it and they said it was free. Great! It was a 20 minute drive to the Boardwalk which wasn't too bad. My husband and I found the staff helpful and friendly. The only downside to this hotel is you have to pay for parking.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We are glad that our central location worked out well for your stay and that your experience reflected the high standards of customer service we've set for our property. We hope any inconveniences you may have experienced were minimal and that you’ll visit with us again.
Jonesboro, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. The hotel looks nice and the views of the water are priceless. But we experience a few things that should not have occurred. First, we were incorrectly charged for incidentals to our room. Secondly, our room was not properly stocked with toiletries. Third, our room was not adequately cleaned. The maid supervisor did come up and offered a sincere apology. She even sent another maid up to re-clean our room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James B
Thank you for sharing your recent experience and for letting us know which areas of your stay did not quite live up to your expectations. I'd like to extend my apologies for any inconveniences you encountered. It is disappointing to know that our high standards of customer service were not evident during your stay and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again.