“Very Nice”

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I don't quite understand the negative reviews. We found the hotel modern, clean, convenient-in a word, pleasant. Yes, there aren't a ton of goodies in the room and there are not standard refrigerators, but the housekeeping staff did a good job. The bathroom and bedroom were on the new side.

The breakfast was a good deal and we especially liked the omelet lady. Our waitress was very welcoming. We were able to walk downtown to eat at the local restaurants.

I agree the parking is a pain, but the location of the hotel makes up for it. We ended up paying for the valet because we came in late and didn't want to bother with the long walk from the parking lot.

This was our fourth hotel in as many weeks and the front desk here was the best. They were informative, pleasant and knowledgable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank circlegirl15
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your very kind review regarding the exceptional customer service that you received throughout your visit. We are truly pleased to know that our staff helped make your stay so memorable. We will certainly share your kind words of appreciation with our team. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel and we hope you'll think of us again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Great rooms, great views of city or river, loved ALL the things you can WALK to very quickly, take the FERRY over to Portsmouth ( walk just right outside the hotel to dock) walk to Eat at Joes Crabs or Outback......walk to McArthur's HUGE Mall............we were there for a reunion and it was perfect thank you especially to housekeepers, for keeping room perfect.....

Room Tip: the higher up rooms give a better view of the city on one side or the river all the way to Portsmout...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeannette y

The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to many retail stores and dining establishments in Downtown Norfolk. It is wonderful to know that you were able to take advantage of our central location and enjoy many of the great attractions that call Norfolk home. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

For the cost the quality of service was not satisfactory at all the quality of their food in their restaurant and bar below satisfactory. Burnt hamburgers salads overloaded with cheese and dressing sweet tea was gross! These are basic foods that are easy to make. The hotel service was great I but I do not recommend the restaurant or the bar for the stay! Don't waste ur money go to Shulas down the street!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Chicbik
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We never like to learn when a guest is disappointed with their stay and we offer our heartfelt apologies that your experience in our restaurant fell below expectations. Thank you for telling us about your experience and for giving us this opportunity to improve. Please know that your comments are being reviewed with our management team. We hope we'll have the opportunity to impress you in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Hotel is very clean, nice view, very friendly staff. I stayed there before in 2010 and last month again and will go again. Loved it.
Very close to downtown, walking distance. Lots of restaurants around.

Room Tip: Get the waterview with a balcony if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for being a loyal guest of the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We are happy to know that we can continue to impress you with our friendly service and clean accommodations. We are glad that our central location in downtown Norfolk works out so well for your needs and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stay here as a loyal platinum spg member 2-3 times a year due to visiting the family however it seems to get worse each time.
The staffing after 7-8 pm onward is terribly light...I was told there only 2 staff in the entire hotel when asked for a new key card to be brought to my floor cause the one I was just issued was not working and I was exhausted and would prefer not to have waled back down to the understaffed front desk.
The dorms need a desperate refresh and after asking for the remote to the tv which was no where to be found it NEVER arrived.its bad when you have a suite and the toilet paper holder is bolted sideways to the wall caused it's been re mounted so many times and the. To have no tv access...which I asked for a remote several times till I figured they didn't want me to watch the tv
This hotel needs a room refresh and a staff increase
If only there was another Starwood choice in downtown Norfolk but that's probably why it's the way it is ...no other brands near by ???

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Darryl M
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. While we greatly appreciate your loyalty in our hotel and the SPG program, we are disheartened to learn of the difficulties you encountered. It is disappointing to learn that the high standards of customer service we have set in place were not evident during your visit with us. Please know that we will be sharing your concerns with our management team and we hope you will continue to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

MY wife and I spent 5 days at this hotel over the July 4 week. Hotel is in a great location along the riverfront in Norfolk. Rooms were just ok, beds comfortable, not a lot of room. Bathrooms were just average. No refrigerators or microwave.9:95$ a day for wifi connection is absurd. 12'00$ a day for self parking or $20.00 a day for valet is also terrible. Restaurant was very expensive and we did not eat there. It looked like there outdoor pool was large as was there exercise room. The room was clean and the front desk very helpful. The waterfront is a nice area to walk around. But the area is dead.

Room Tip: Good location. Try to get a waterfront room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeSchwartz
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to spend your Fourth of July getaway at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. While it was a pleasure to accommodate you over the holiday, we do regret to learn that we were not able to fully impress you in every way. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon and exceed all your expectations.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Where do I start to describe my awful experience in this hotel

At check in the gentleman behind the counter seemed incapable of smiling looking at me or talking in sentences longer than 2 words - his first words were ID ? When I asked about the balcony room we had requested his response was yes

Everyone has a bad day so i let it go.

When we got to the room it was ok the beds were comfortable but the valance on one bed was filthy and stained with what i imagined was coke or coffee but what was missing was a balcony

I went downstairs to request a balcony room to be told that balcony rooms were not guaranteed (I booked this room 8 months before our trip ). I waited for a further response but none was forthcoming. I then had to ask if there were any balcony rooms available and waited for what i assumed would be no but was stunned to be told yes there were but again no offer to change my room until i insisted they did - unbelievable !!

I then told the young lady about the valance being astained to which her response was " thats ok the housekeeping staff will see to it before another guest is given the room " . The fact that I had just been given the room seemed to pass her by

The second room also had stains on the valances on both beds but by that time I had lost the will to live yet alone interact with any staff

When we were staying at the Sheraton at Heathrow we were given a Sheraton members card which gave us 10 % discount at the restaurant there so I asked later if we enjoyed any offers in the Norfolk Sheraton and the answer was no which is fine
but I could have done without the accompanying almost condescending smile

The hotel provides a smoking area outside but when I was smoking a guy sat there asked me for a few dollars which me me very uncomfortable. I mentioned this to reception who apologised but the man remained there for the rest of the evening and whenever I was downstairs the next day he was still there !

On a positive note the valet staff were excellent and the view from the balcony was great and the hotel is well situated for the harbour attractions and huge shopping mall

I will never use a Sheraton hotel again EVER and would like to suggest you never use the one in Norfolk

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay get a balcony room with a harbour view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CraigBarnett

We'd like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you encountered while with us. It is truly disappointing to know that your experience did not reflect our usual high standards of customer service and I assure you that your comments will be shared with our management team and staff. We are continually looking for new ways to improve the experience for our guests and appreciate your candid feedback. We hope you will someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again.