“Good location for concert at NTelos”

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good location for concert at NTelos”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for a concert at NTelos...The ferry that takes you to Portsmouth is located right next door to the hotel. The Sheraton is dated and the furniture in the room looks like it has taken a beating. They charge you $12 to self park or $24 to valet...per day. Wifi is an additional $10/day. The housekeeping staff decided to catch up with each other outside of our paper thin door at 7am and when asked to be quiet, they continued to stand there and talk to each other. Overall, it was a very noisy hotel. If it wasn't so close to the concert, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
While we appreciate you choosing our hotel for your stay here in Norfolk, we deeply regret to learn of the inconveniences that you encountered. All guest feedback is highly valued and we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We offer our sincere apologies for the noise disruptions that you encountered by our housekeeping department and appreciate you alerting us to your experience. We hope you will reconsider and allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Knotts Island, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

At this hotel for a High School Reunion for a two night stay. Traffic jam at front door and long wait at check-in also a $24. night valet park with self park a good bit away. Room was nice but beginning to show age. The bed linens and towels were wonderful and the room very clean and in place. The wifi is another $10. for 24 hrs. Food in restaurants was ok, just nothing to write home about. Overall a good stay but have stayed in much better at a lowers price with more amenities for the guests.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor side room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
While we are glad that our accommodations and Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed met your expectations, we regret that we were not able to impress you in every way. We hope you'll accept our apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. Keep in mind that complimentary Internet is always available for our guests in our lobby. It was a true pleasure to accommodate you for your high school reunion and we hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed for one night with my son. I am a Platinum Preferred with Starwood and was upgraded to a 2 room suite. When I pulled up to hotel there was a traffic jam at the front door and I had to circle around parking lot twice before I could find a spot to park and check in. Valet informed me I could valet park for $24 a night or I could self park for $12 a night. He pointed to where we self park and it was 2 buildings away from hotel where I would estimate at least 200 yards away. I decided to valet. Lobby is clean but dated, I am sure this was a great hotel in the eighties. Room was fine but furnishings were worn and it was more just a large room poorly furnished. Ordered room service and had requested extra bleu chees dressing with my son's order of chicken wings. After food was brought we realized there was no dressing, let alone extra as I had requested. I called back to room service and it literally was 15 minutes before someone answered the phone. About 30 minutes after they brought food we finally got dressing.I was going to sleep on sleeper but there was no linen on mattress and we could not find any extra sheets or pillows anywhere in the room. After seeing how hard it was just to get a side of bleu cheese dressing I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to call down to get linens so I took some pillows and a sheet off the king bed and slept on sofa. The front desk told me at check in that they had also given me access to the club level on my key card to go to the lounge. When we tried the card in elevator it did not work. The next morning we were wanting to go up to club lounge to get a quick breakfast so I went down to front desk to get my card fixed. Of course when I got in elevator the card still did not work so we just called valet and decided to get out of there. One final complaint was if a hotel charges $10 for internet it should be faster than what it was here. This hotel is an OK place to stay if you get a cheap rate and you need to stay in middle of Norfolk but if you are flexible I would recommend staying at Virginia Beach Westin about 8 miles away. I rarely give negative reviews and am very loyal to Starwood but this hotel is not up to their standards.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Johnplatinum
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
We truly appreciate your loyalty in the SPG program and we are grateful for the level of detail that you've provided in your review. Our guests' satisfaction is our number one priority so we are disheartened to learn that we did not live up to your expectations in every way. Please accept our sincere apologies for the length of time you waited for our room service and for the difficulties that you encountered with your key card. Reviews such as yours let us know how we are doing and where we can improve and we appreciate that you've taken the time to address your concerns. As a loyal guest to Starwood, we hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you again.
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Pet friendly which we appreciate. If you are a shopper or historian great location. Right on the harbor. Beautiful. Several ops for dining and close to many more. They have a great breakfast, (love the staff). The dining room and patio have a relaxing view to enjoy breakfast, an evening dinner or drinks. The gift shop has some typical souvenirs but also has a few unique treasures worth a stop.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us in Norfolk. We're glad that our convenient location and pet-friendly accommodations worked out so well for your needs. We hope you'll have the opportunity to visit the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel again.
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The gentleman who checked me in did not seem real familiar with the registration process/software because it took almost 15 minutes to get checked in. My room was very nice, had comfortable beds, and was clean. However, there were a few hairs on the shower wall; otherwise, the bathroom was clean.

The other complaint was that the air conditioner had a serious rattle every time it cut on. This is a hotel that has refurbished its rooms in what seemed to be an older building. Perhaps that is why the air conditioning system was so noisy. When I reported the rattle to the front desk, they were very responsive in having maintenance come and fix the rattle.

The location is beautiful - the backside of the hotel overlooked the Elizabeth River and the wonderful Cannonball Trail can be accessed directly out the restaurant's door. I saw many jogger sand walkers, as well as families out for a stroll. Children can play in a fountain at a park near the hotel. One easily can walk to the mall, historical landmarks, museums, and baseball park. The riverfront area and downtown in general have been recently developed and are a model for what can be done with a rundown area.

Finally, I was impressed with this hotel's approach to environmental protections. There is a recycling can in each room. Also, instead of the standard "hang your towels if you will reuse them" (which, for reasons I cannot understand, most housekeeping staffs ignore) this hotel had a hang tag which one could place on the outer door knob (just like the Do Not Disturb hanger). If one chose to do that, he/she would receive extra reward points or a $5.00 voucher. GREAT IDEA!'

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your recent experience and for mentioning the Make a Green Choice program in your review. We are glad that you support our efforts to go green. We would like to take this time to apologize for any noise disruptions that you encountered with the air conditioning unit in your room. We appreciate you bringing this concern to our immediate attention so we could resolve the issue to ensure a peaceful night's rest. We hope you'll have the opportunity to visit the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel again soon.
Sandston, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Been here before. Clean and neat. Close to the venue for the concert we were attending. Biggest problem was the parking. It is really ridiculous to pay $24 for one night parking. Even the $12 for parking yourself and walking two blocks is too much. Guess I have been spoiled by the many first class hotels I have been too. Especially because when I went to pick up my car and there was NO ONE there to bring it around. And they had six cars waiting to be parked. Saved my tip money. Would have rated the hotel very good probably if it wasn't for that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel for your stay here in Norfolk. Although we are happy that our location worked out so well for your needs, we regret that you experienced inconveniences with our parking charge. We do find that our parking rates are comparable to our area and apologize if our valet service fell below expectations. We regret that we missed this opportunity to provide exceptional customer service and we hope you'll allow us the opportunity to welcome you again.
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I don't quite understand the negative reviews. We found the hotel modern, clean, convenient-in a word, pleasant. Yes, there aren't a ton of goodies in the room and there are not standard refrigerators, but the housekeeping staff did a good job. The bathroom and bedroom were on the new side.

The breakfast was a good deal and we especially liked the omelet lady. Our waitress was very welcoming. We were able to walk downtown to eat at the local restaurants.

I agree the parking is a pain, but the location of the hotel makes up for it. We ended up paying for the valet because we came in late and didn't want to bother with the long walk from the parking lot.

This was our fourth hotel in as many weeks and the front desk here was the best. They were informative, pleasant and knowledgable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank circlegirl15
Thank you for your very kind review regarding the exceptional customer service that you received throughout your visit. We are truly pleased to know that our staff helped make your stay so memorable. We will certainly share your kind words of appreciation with our team. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel and we hope you'll think of us again.