“Avoid if Possible”

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
A TripAdvisor Member
“Avoid if Possible”
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I stayed at this hotel during a conference in Norfolk. At first glance, you can see the aging exterior. It even looks as if it was once a Comfort Inn. After arriving, nobody assisted me with my luggage, as they were too busy talking amongst themselves. As I went through the front door, the lobby looked pleasant. There was a view of the harbor from the restaurant and the rest of the lobby seemed comfortable. I didn't encounter any problems with checkin either. On the way up to my room, I took the unsafe-sounding elevators. Then, when I arrived to my room, I found it to be rather small. Despite the view of the harbor, there were spots on the floor, and a strong musky smell to the room. The next day, after attending meetings, I came back to my room and found it the way I left it! Housekeeping never came!

The location is pretty good; it's right next door to the Waterside Shops, which offers Outback, Jillians Entertainment, and other restaurants. It is also within a 5-10 minute walk of Macarthur Center, a large mall with numerous shops and restaurants.

If possible, stay at the Marriott! The location is just as good, if not better, and the furnishings and atmosphere are much better! During my stay in Norfolk, I envied those who were at the Marriott.

Good Luck!

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 March 2006

I recently stayed at the Sheraton hotel by the Waterside in Norfolk and had the worst hotel experience in my life. I had never stayed at a Sheraton before, but figured that the hotel would live up to its known standards. That was not the case, to say the least!
I arrived by taxi and had nobody to help me with my luggage. The bellhops stood around and watched while I wrestled with 2 suitcases. When I got to the front desk, the staff were rude. Apparently they were having a problem with their credit card machine and when were unable to run mine. Their theory - the transaction had been declined by my credit card company - even though they were telling me it was a problem on their end. Unbelievable!
The hotel itself is in a general bad state. My room was something else. It looked like it had not been vacuumed in months and it probably hadn't. I noticed the next morning that on the other side of the bed and on the bedskirts there was what appeared to look like dried vomit - this is true! I immediately asked for another room which was not any better. It also hadn't been vacuumed in days/months.

I have stayed at better hotels where I did not have to pay as much. Per night, I was paying $139.00. If I had a choice as to moving to another hotel, I would have done so right away; however all the hotels in the area were full.

This experience has left a bad taste in my mouth re staying at Sheraton's. I don't think I will ever stay at another Sheraton hotel!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member