“MIXED FEELINGS”

Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Fort Worth
“MIXED FEELINGS”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Friendly front office staff. Lobby smelled nice, but the room smelled funky. Went to the local Walgreen's to buy some Lysol.

This is the first hotel where we've been on this vacation that has a DVD player in the room! Very handy, since there is a Redbox at the Walgreen's!!

Room Tip: Disabled rooms are available and very accommodating.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JaneInTexas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My family and I stayed here 2 days during Hurricane Irene. The hotel was at full occupancy and we lost electricity a couple of times. Through it all, the staff was wonderful. The calmed frayed nerves, passed out sandwhiches and apples and kept an upbeat attitude throughout the storm. They made sure the guests were comfortable and that we had what we needed to get us through the storm. The rooms are clean and the accomodations up to date. I would definetely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
cwsna, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites- Norfolk. We are delighted to know that you had a great stay with us and we hope that you will choose us again for your next trip to the area.
usa
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites in July with some friends. We chose this hotel because of the location and the price...both are great! The hotel itself is very attractive. The rooms are super spacious and very clean. Absolutely LOVE the kitchen and bathroom. My pros and cons actually echo those of a previous post (from 2/28/11).

Pros: as I previously stated, the rooms are really nice and spacious. Plenty of room for all four of us in a suite with two queen beds. The location was even better: very close to stores like walmart and target, as well as fast food places such as BK, Wendy's, Sonic, etc. We also enjoyed the proximity to the beach. We didn't use the fitness center, laundry, or store but they all seemed to be nice as well. We drove so didn't need the airport shuttle, but I never noticed anyone having issues with that either.

Cons: STAFF! While I'm sure the housekeeping staff does a fantastic job (proven by the cleanliness of the rooms, lobby, etc.), there were some issues. Namely with the trash and towels. I 100% understand that housekeeping doesn't clean rooms but once a week, but for starters I wouldn't of known that without reading the review from Feb. 28. We were not told about that policy or given a run down of any of the amenities upon check in. We requested a set of clean towels from the front desk and were given the run around about why we couldn't have an extra towel even though there were four people in the room (the room only had 3 towels at first...we were eventually given the extra towel after calling TWICE). The bulk of the staff we encountered were nice and cordial, but unprofessional. It was as if there was no supervision. We experienced staff members having inappropriate conversations in front of guests and staff members talking about guests to one another with the use of profane language. So, overall on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the staff a 4.

I would of give an "excellent" rating if not for the staff.

Honestly, if I were to visit the area again I probably would stay again because of how nice I thought the hotel was. but would be hesitant to expect a complete overhaul in customer service, which is a huge turn off. My suggestion to management is to have some refresher training in customer service because some current staff has effected the quality.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in the Norfolk area. We strive to ensure that each guest has a memorable stay with us. I am happy to know that our standard of cleanliness met your satisfaction but dissapointed to know that my staff fell short in the service they provided. I agree with you that the staff should be re-trained and we have already began with our training. I thank you for bringing this to my attention and hope that you will stay with us again so you can see all the improvements the training has done.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Even though my family only stayed for one night, we found the hotel to be of very good quality. The room was clean and in good condition with comfortable beds and just enough space for our family with children and a dog (and her very large crate). We did not use the kitchen other than the fridge to chill a few juice boxes. The proximity to Virginia Beach was good, with only about a 10 minute travel time by car.
The front desk staff was friendly, but took a bit of time to check us in due to being a bit unsure of the pet policies. Also, they have a wheel to spin for prizes if you are a Priority Club member -- I never did receive my "prize", but then again, I didn't feel compelled to ask about it at check-out, either. It's not a big deal, but just noticeable.
The hotel would have been a great value for my family at under $100 a night, but the added $75 pet fee brought down any savings, unfortunately. I do not dispute that charge, as I see why it is added, but I wish it could have been a refundable charge.
I would definitely choose this hotel again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Zaprashka
At Candlewood Suites we love our guests and we love out pets! Pet fees are utilized to give special care to rooms that have been occupied by pets. We make sure we render each room to be hypo-allergenic before each rental. Thank you for staying with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The suites are very clean and spacious. Virginia beach is a short drive away. There are a strip of restarants two blocks away. I will stay their again.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Gingergirl456
Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites- Norfolk for your weekend getaway. It pleases us to know that your stay was enjoyable. We look forward to your next visit.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I’ve stayed at this hotel over several months and on more than thirteen occasions. I have witnessed it deteriorate over time. According to several staff members, the general manager has made new changes to increase efficiency and service, however it has led to incompetence in general common sense areas of customer service. I will never stay at this hotel again…ever.

My comprehensive review.

Pros:
-Rooms are nicely decorated and designed. Hotel isn’t very old. They have flat screen tv, dvd player, kitchen, nice shower head, hardwood floors, spacious. Full kitchen. The hotel only provides three pillows per bed. Go to the front desk to request additional pillows. Rooms are cleaned once a week (efficiency initiative) Garbage can is hidden under bathroom sink. Dirty towels? go to front desk to request additional towels.

-Business center has two computers with basic functions and average speed Internet.

-Location next to many great s food options. Sonic, Walmart, Ruby Tuesdays, Target, chipolte KFC, Panera, and walgreens. Best part of hotel is the location.

-Fitness center has many different machines and they all work just fine. Flat screen TV in fitness center.

-Free Laundry! Very nice, high quality washing machines and dryers!

-Food center with different options.

-Comfortable lobby with flat screen t.v. Usually have the latest football game on tv.

-Used to have great staff members.

Cons:
-Airport Shuttle Service: This hotel advertises Airport Transportation (COMPLIMENTARY) however this isn’t true!!!!! They only run on limited hours of operation…therefore, you may not actually have a shuttle to/from the airport. The last time I stayed, the hotel knew I was coming in at 11pm and I was forced to pay for my own taxi!! They didn’t have any other substitute!! I didn’t have any cash, so it was a hassle to find an ATM (get charged extra money) at the airport to pay the taxi driver. Luckily, I didn’t have to pay for a cab ride in the early morning to the airport since the shuttle was running…However, there have been occasions that if they aren’t running a shuttle in the morning they will pay for a cab. (Note: USED to pay for a cab. Because of their efficiency program, YOU are now required to pay for one on your own). Cost is $15. On that topic, if you are required to take a cab, do the liberty of calling one yourself, as many times I would request a shuttle time and they didn’t call the cab until the time I needed to leave. Cab takes about 10-15 minutes to arrive and caused me to be late to the airport more than once.

Also, I was told as part of their new shuttle efficiency program, they would only take you to the airport on the top of the hour. So there are now limited runs to the airport. In addition, the drivers in the early morning are NEVER in the shuttle on time. Tip: just arrive to your shuttle time 15 minutes early for a late departure.

The Van itself has a broken door and if there was an accident, you may not be able to open it from the inside! Scary! You have to kick the door open since it gets stuck!

-Business center. What is a pro, is also a con. The employees use it themselves to play games and facebook. So there tends to only be one computer open at a time.

-Food Center. Also a pro and con. Due to the new efficiency program, they have changed their offerings and selections. They offer a brown bag breakfast for a good price. However their selection is limited. NUTTER BUTTER BARS are a brown-bag breakfast item! Seriously!?

-Hotel Key Cards: The cards never worked the first time on 70% of my visits! It was fine the first visit, but after numerous stays it was getting old going to the top floor and coming back down again to get a new key card.

-Priority Club features: No special check-in (they have a sign, but its for display only). Usually had to wait up to 20 minutes if there were several people in front of me. Also, no newspaper at your door (something you get used to at other priority club locations)

-Smell of smoke (and other drugs) in the hotel elevator. It’s common to smell odd happenings in the elevator late at night. I don’t even want to know what happens in the rooms.

-Thin walls. If you have someone next to you, plan on hearing his or her conversation, arguments, or partying late at night. I’ve had to be moved on several occasions.

-Rooms aren’t 100% clean. Usually found dirt on floor, nail clippings, bugs under the bed (not bed bugs), and hairs in the bed. The rooms are only cleaned once a week (so can’t expect the best cleaning service)

-USED to have great staff members. Some were fired or left. Others were required to change their personality for being too “friendly”(for example, saying “have a great day honey” is now forbidden). Most of the hotel staff members just gossip behind the desk about the new hotel changes.

Overall. You can see the CONS far outweigh the pros at this establishment. If you’re looking for a hotel in this area/location, there are other hotels to look at. However, after my last visit, I’ve had enough.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Nightcrawler4
cwsna, Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
I appreciate all the PROS to the review however I would like to touch on the CONS. The airport shuttle is just that, we pick up and deliver passengers to the airport and it must be reserved in advance. We try very hard to accomodate all of our guests and in doing so it got out of hand. We became more of a shuttle to anywhere and everywhere our guests wanted to go. I'm sure you must know how costly that became. In response for paying for cabs we only did that when we did not have a shuttle driver for a scheduled pick up and therefore it was our responsibility to pay.

You are absolutely right about the van door and we will take care of that as soon as possible.

If employees were using the business center for personal use I assure you they are not anymore.

We have not changed any selections for brown bag breakfast any thing other than standards was requested by guests.

Key cards demagnetize when in contact with leather, cell phones and other electronics and should be kept in the key packets.

Priority Club is very much in effect at this hotel however you would still have to wait your turn if there is a lot of people waiting to be checked-in.

Smell of smoke........We still accept smokers.

This is my first complaint on thin walls and it's one that I cannot solve.

The housekeeping department here is excellent! The rooms are cleaned once a week. Let me remind you, that this is told to you at check-in and it's the same day of your check-in. So if you
checked in on Friday it will be every Friday. You can request a Refresh in between and housekeeping will come in to vaccuum change out linen and remove trash. I would also like to point out that on scheduled days some guests dont want their rooms cleaned for whatever reason they may have, then the room does not get clean again for another week.

We do not have any shuttle efficiency program however as a business we will definately do our best to increase productivity and save cost as much as we can without affecting service.
maryland
Reviewed 14 September 2010

This property is located right off of Military Highway, which appears to be one of the main drags in Norfolk. It's relatively close to I-64, 58, and other thoroughfares. The lobby was clean and inviting, check-in was swift, and the room was clean, although showing some signs of wear and tear. It's a good sized suite - there was a small kitchenette area with a full size refrigerator, counter with a small sink and two burners, a dishwasher, and a good sized microwave. There were a few dishes in the cabinets. I didn't investigate further, but there must have been some pots/pans and cutlery available. In my room was a queen sized bed, desk area with two chairs, an easy chair, dresser, a CD/DVD player, and flat screen TV with a decent amount of channels. The bed linens were an interesting mix of decent sheets and a ratty comforter, but the bed was comfy. There was some kind of padding/cushion thingy on the mattress which added to the comfort. Comfy, squishy pillows rounded out the bed. The fridge and AC unit were a bit noisy. Look for the AC controls on the wall by the TV.

The bathroom was a nice size - two people could easily fit. The towels and washcloths were above average, not your standard white threadbare stuff.

Tip number one - get a room that is not near the gazebo, stay on the opposite end. For whatever reason, during both nights of my stay there were guests who were barbqueing/socializing out there and the loud music was very annoying. This might not be an issue in the winter time.

In close proximity is Walmart, Walgreens, Ruby Tuesdays, Piccadilly, Logan's Roadhouse, IHOP and SONIC (yeah!). Tip number two - don't waste your time visiting Military Circle Mall, which is close by. Spend the extra 10-15 minutes and go downtown to Macarthur Square. You'll have to pay for parking (minimal amount), but apparently the garage is open 24-hours - you can spend time at the Mall and then walk to restaurants and bars on Granby Street and other downtown spots. Kudos to front desk clerk Patricia who was a gem with directions and suggestions.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo