“very nice visit/stay”

Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Last month, I visited Norfolk, VA and very much enjoyed my stay at the Candlewood Suites near Norfolk Airport. Front desk and reservation services are outstanding. They provided free airport shuttle. My room was great and I liked it -- a bed room, kitchen, and living room. Front manager Joy and Janet were very friendly and helpfull.

Mrs. B

Room Tip: Great room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bajpayee4

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Very clean place. Near the airport. Large room with kitchenette. Only complaint was the animal adoption center across the street. They let the dogs out various times a day and they barked until they went back in.

Room Tip: No pool. Shoping nearby
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank taxdender
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Friendly front office staff. Lobby smelled nice, but the room smelled funky. Went to the local Walgreen's to buy some Lysol.

This is the first hotel where we've been on this vacation that has a DVD player in the room! Very handy, since there is a Redbox at the Walgreen's!!

Room Tip: Disabled rooms are available and very accommodating.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JaneInTexas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My family and I stayed here 2 days during Hurricane Irene. The hotel was at full occupancy and we lost electricity a couple of times. Through it all, the staff was wonderful. The calmed frayed nerves, passed out sandwhiches and apples and kept an upbeat attitude throughout the storm. They made sure the guests were comfortable and that we had what we needed to get us through the storm. The rooms are clean and the accomodations up to date. I would definetely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
cwsna, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites- Norfolk. We are delighted to know that you had a great stay with us and we hope that you will choose us again for your next trip to the area.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites in July with some friends. We chose this hotel because of the location and the price...both are great! The hotel itself is very attractive. The rooms are super spacious and very clean. Absolutely LOVE the kitchen and bathroom. My pros and cons actually echo those of a previous post (from 2/28/11).

Pros: as I previously stated, the rooms are really nice and spacious. Plenty of room for all four of us in a suite with two queen beds. The location was even better: very close to stores like walmart and target, as well as fast food places such as BK, Wendy's, Sonic, etc. We also enjoyed the proximity to the beach. We didn't use the fitness center, laundry, or store but they all seemed to be nice as well. We drove so didn't need the airport shuttle, but I never noticed anyone having issues with that either.

Cons: STAFF! While I'm sure the housekeeping staff does a fantastic job (proven by the cleanliness of the rooms, lobby, etc.), there were some issues. Namely with the trash and towels. I 100% understand that housekeeping doesn't clean rooms but once a week, but for starters I wouldn't of known that without reading the review from Feb. 28. We were not told about that policy or given a run down of any of the amenities upon check in. We requested a set of clean towels from the front desk and were given the run around about why we couldn't have an extra towel even though there were four people in the room (the room only had 3 towels at first...we were eventually given the extra towel after calling TWICE). The bulk of the staff we encountered were nice and cordial, but unprofessional. It was as if there was no supervision. We experienced staff members having inappropriate conversations in front of guests and staff members talking about guests to one another with the use of profane language. So, overall on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the staff a 4.

I would of give an "excellent" rating if not for the staff.

Honestly, if I were to visit the area again I probably would stay again because of how nice I thought the hotel was. but would be hesitant to expect a complete overhaul in customer service, which is a huge turn off. My suggestion to management is to have some refresher training in customer service because some current staff has effected the quality.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in the Norfolk area. We strive to ensure that each guest has a memorable stay with us. I am happy to know that our standard of cleanliness met your satisfaction but dissapointed to know that my staff fell short in the service they provided. I agree with you that the staff should be re-trained and we have already began with our training. I thank you for bringing this to my attention and hope that you will stay with us again so you can see all the improvements the training has done.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

Even though my family only stayed for one night, we found the hotel to be of very good quality. The room was clean and in good condition with comfortable beds and just enough space for our family with children and a dog (and her very large crate). We did not use the kitchen other than the fridge to chill a few juice boxes. The proximity to Virginia Beach was good, with only about a 10 minute travel time by car.
The front desk staff was friendly, but took a bit of time to check us in due to being a bit unsure of the pet policies. Also, they have a wheel to spin for prizes if you are a Priority Club member -- I never did receive my "prize", but then again, I didn't feel compelled to ask about it at check-out, either. It's not a big deal, but just noticeable.
The hotel would have been a great value for my family at under $100 a night, but the added $75 pet fee brought down any savings, unfortunately. I do not dispute that charge, as I see why it is added, but I wish it could have been a refundable charge.
I would definitely choose this hotel again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Zaprashka

At Candlewood Suites we love our guests and we love out pets! Pet fees are utilized to give special care to rooms that have been occupied by pets. We make sure we render each room to be hypo-allergenic before each rental. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

The suites are very clean and spacious. Virginia beach is a short drive away. There are a strip of restarants two blocks away. I will stay their again.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Gingergirl456

Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites- Norfolk for your weekend getaway. It pleases us to know that your stay was enjoyable. We look forward to your next visit.