“Affordable, Quiet and Clean..Get A Bedspread”

Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This hotel is not on the beach, but close enough for day trips. The hotel is nice and is clean, but a little worn. The rooms feature kitchens and a full area for work. Internet access was speedy and free. My only complaint was the bedspread was worn and needed to be retired. Also remember that the room housekeeping service is only once a week at most of the Candlewood Suites. Staff there will gladly give clean towels and other items. The front desk staff was very helpful and assisted with several faxes and other needs. The hotel runs a shuttle to the airport. By car, the airport is about 8 minutes away. Good job Candle people!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Stop_At_Red_Lights

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend and was extremely pleased. Everyone was polite and courteous from the front desk staff to housekeeping. A swimming pool would have been the icing on the cake, but sometimes icing isnt necessary. Will stay again unless ocean front hotels come down about $200.00 per night.

Room Tip: My room was a smoking room on the 5th floor so I had no problems. 526 great stay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leroy F
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Last month, I visited Norfolk, VA and very much enjoyed my stay at the Candlewood Suites near Norfolk Airport. Front desk and reservation services are outstanding. They provided free airport shuttle. My room was great and I liked it -- a bed room, kitchen, and living room. Front manager Joy and Janet were very friendly and helpfull.

Mrs. B

Room Tip: Great room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bajpayee4
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Very clean place. Near the airport. Large room with kitchenette. Only complaint was the animal adoption center across the street. They let the dogs out various times a day and they barked until they went back in.

Room Tip: No pool. Shoping nearby
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank taxdender
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Friendly front office staff. Lobby smelled nice, but the room smelled funky. Went to the local Walgreen's to buy some Lysol.

This is the first hotel where we've been on this vacation that has a DVD player in the room! Very handy, since there is a Redbox at the Walgreen's!!

Room Tip: Disabled rooms are available and very accommodating.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JaneInTexas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My family and I stayed here 2 days during Hurricane Irene. The hotel was at full occupancy and we lost electricity a couple of times. Through it all, the staff was wonderful. The calmed frayed nerves, passed out sandwhiches and apples and kept an upbeat attitude throughout the storm. They made sure the guests were comfortable and that we had what we needed to get us through the storm. The rooms are clean and the accomodations up to date. I would definetely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
cwsna, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites- Norfolk. We are delighted to know that you had a great stay with us and we hope that you will choose us again for your next trip to the area.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites in July with some friends. We chose this hotel because of the location and the price...both are great! The hotel itself is very attractive. The rooms are super spacious and very clean. Absolutely LOVE the kitchen and bathroom. My pros and cons actually echo those of a previous post (from 2/28/11).

Pros: as I previously stated, the rooms are really nice and spacious. Plenty of room for all four of us in a suite with two queen beds. The location was even better: very close to stores like walmart and target, as well as fast food places such as BK, Wendy's, Sonic, etc. We also enjoyed the proximity to the beach. We didn't use the fitness center, laundry, or store but they all seemed to be nice as well. We drove so didn't need the airport shuttle, but I never noticed anyone having issues with that either.

Cons: STAFF! While I'm sure the housekeeping staff does a fantastic job (proven by the cleanliness of the rooms, lobby, etc.), there were some issues. Namely with the trash and towels. I 100% understand that housekeeping doesn't clean rooms but once a week, but for starters I wouldn't of known that without reading the review from Feb. 28. We were not told about that policy or given a run down of any of the amenities upon check in. We requested a set of clean towels from the front desk and were given the run around about why we couldn't have an extra towel even though there were four people in the room (the room only had 3 towels at first...we were eventually given the extra towel after calling TWICE). The bulk of the staff we encountered were nice and cordial, but unprofessional. It was as if there was no supervision. We experienced staff members having inappropriate conversations in front of guests and staff members talking about guests to one another with the use of profane language. So, overall on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the staff a 4.

I would of give an "excellent" rating if not for the staff.

Honestly, if I were to visit the area again I probably would stay again because of how nice I thought the hotel was. but would be hesitant to expect a complete overhaul in customer service, which is a huge turn off. My suggestion to management is to have some refresher training in customer service because some current staff has effected the quality.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in the Norfolk area. We strive to ensure that each guest has a memorable stay with us. I am happy to know that our standard of cleanliness met your satisfaction but dissapointed to know that my staff fell short in the service they provided. I agree with you that the staff should be re-trained and we have already began with our training. I thank you for bringing this to my attention and hope that you will stay with us again so you can see all the improvements the training has done.