“Relaxing weekend....”

Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
“Relaxing weekend....”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The staff at Candlewood are very friendly and responsive. When I checked in they called to make sure I was satisfied with my room. The hotel is very quiet and located close to everything. The linens were clean and comfortable. And the kitchenette was a plus. Good value for the price. This hotel is located next to a trucking company of some sort, however the trucks were not a problem with noise etc. I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank TrinaC81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My room stunk and I actually used three bottles of Febreeze over three days and it still stunk. The bathroom shower curtain nad mold along the bottom. The second bed in the room we refused to even touch. The bedspread had stains in it and when we had first got there we pulled back the cover and there was dog hair all over the sheet. The dogs bark from the shelter across the lot and the manufacturing plant is a real plus if you like those industrial sleeping noises.
Lots of shady characters around at night.
They need to tear this place down and start again!

Room Tip: Good Luck I don't think there are any good rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leestanger
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Leestanger,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you that we are very proud of our level of service, cleanliness and quality. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in the Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport Hotel soon.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Good:
Receptionists were nice.
They acted very friendly a caring.
There was a BBQ area where the guest could grill and talk about how crappy the hotel was. I did this often, but while friendly, many of these guests were almost always drinking like crazy and got rude and vulgar a lot.

The Bad:
Desk is manned by one person max after 5. Your wait to be helped will be 10 minutes from 5 to 10pm.
Rooms are suposed to be cleaned once a week, but never are. My carpet was pretty dirty before I even got there. I nagged, begged and bribed, but my room was only cleaned once during a full month stay and that was after multiple complaints.
Cleaning staff leaves at 3. There are long term guests staying that put their trash outside their doors that won't get cleaned until noon next day. It does smell.
Non smoking room smelled like smoke. A lot.
The stairways also have trash bins. These are always overflowing. They were emptied maybe twice during my stay. This made the stairwell uninhabitable when combined with the orange smelling deodorize they sprayed instead of actually cleaning up the mess.
Staff although nice, lets you know that what ever you ask them to do is burdening them.
Kitchen is not well stocked. As in 1 fork two plates and a bowl.
If you stay at the front of the hotel you will hear loud barking from the spca across the street. The back of the hotel has a truck repair business within a 100 yards away. I was awakened 6 days a week by them working. They would start between 6:30 and 7:30am. I am a heavy sleeper and my windows were closed. The shop is that loud.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank matthew a
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear matthew a,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Denver
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I had clients booked at this hotel. They got to the hotel around midnight. They did not feel safe at the hotel and said the rooms smelled. They left the hotel and went somewhere else

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelAgentDenver
north carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed at the Candlewood suites for the first time ever. I will say that the nice Queen suite I was in had almost a full kitchen in it. Full size Fridge and Dishwasher Microwave/hood combination unit and 2 electric burners. also pots and pans, plates and bowls and utensils, etc. etc. Bed was comfortable.
This hotel is next to a couple of trucking terminals. Parking for a bus is very adequate. You are in walking distance to a Ruby Tuesdays, Starbucks, Walgreens and a Wal-Mart(Wally World).
This hotel does not have a comp breakfast and Ice machines. Since this is an extended stay hotel, Housekeeping services are only once a week, and you must remember to turn on your ice maker in the fridge upon walking into your room.
This place is ideal for anyone who has been put out of their residence or facing a relocation or a long business assignment.
When I travel on business, I prefer to stay in a hotel that has comp breakfast and has amenities that a transient hotel will have. Nice place but not for folks like myself that travel 1 to 5 nights away at a time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank penguinlimo
Mississippi
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not on the beach, but close enough for day trips. The hotel is nice and is clean, but a little worn. The rooms feature kitchens and a full area for work. Internet access was speedy and free. My only complaint was the bedspread was worn and needed to be retired. Also remember that the room housekeeping service is only once a week at most of the Candlewood Suites. Staff there will gladly give clean towels and other items. The front desk staff was very helpful and assisted with several faxes and other needs. The hotel runs a shuttle to the airport. By car, the airport is about 8 minutes away. Good job Candle people!

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Stop_At_Red_Lights
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend and was extremely pleased. Everyone was polite and courteous from the front desk staff to housekeeping. A swimming pool would have been the icing on the cake, but sometimes icing isnt necessary. Will stay again unless ocean front hotels come down about $200.00 per night.

Room Tip: My room was a smoking room on the 5th floor so I had no problems. 526 great stay.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends