“Well worth it!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia Beach, United States
“Well worth it!”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Decent/large rooms, and an amazing staff! Great value! The area is a bit shady, but that's not Best Westerns fault. Highly recommended. I've stayed twice now. Once for about 10 days straight. The cleaning staff returned a fairly expensive video game system and games when they could have easily pocketed it. The associate at the front desk called me, and even held on to it for a few days until we were able to pick it up.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Rodney B
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us, and that my staff took great care of you. If you are ever in the area again, please come see us again, and see all the exciting updates we have in the works.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Largo, Florida
Reviewed 25 January 2014

40 years ago this property was THE hotel for civilians visiting Norfolk on Government Travel orders. Today this hotel is barely holding its own with the competition from newer hotels.
The rooms feature dated furniture. and are badly in need of a renewal. The breakfast room serves a minimum quality breakfast. The internet service Best Western Internet is very slow and unreliable. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are in the beginning phase of a 36 month renovation project which will include upgrades to the rooms, expansion of our breakfast room, and general public space (pool/patio area, fitness room, etc) upgrades. We hope that next time you are in the area, you will give us another try and see all of the exciting renovations that are taking place.
Gahanna, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I own a home near this hotel and was back to check on the tenant renting it. I have driven past this hotel many times and from exterior appearances thought it to be above average for the area. I found the staff courteous and helpful. I was disappointed however, in the size of the room. It had to be the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. It had a queen bed, two side tables, a table and two chairs, a dresser with a TV on it, and a unit which housed a microwave and refrigerator. A small safe was in the closet. The furniture was too large and their were too many pieces to make it comfortable. We couldn't even sit down at the table as it was crammed into the corner between the closet and the TV stand/ dresser. I would recommend getting a room with two beds even if you don't need one. Surely it provide more "elbow" room than the queen room did. If you are traveling alone you might be OK with the smaller room but it was too small for two people. Also, I went to use a hand towel and the the backside of it was covered in some kind of yellow substance. I showed it to the clerk when I checked out. He was very apologetic and discounted the room 10%. I wasn't expecting to receive a discount, simply wanted to make him aware of the problem. Again, he was very apologetic. We got up too late to take advantage of the free breakfast so I can't comment on the food. The room decor is somewhat dated but acceptable. Overall, if you are looking for a reasonably priced room on the Chesapeake Bay and are more interested on leisure time on the beach or visiting the other historical sites, this hotel is fine. It was not comfortable for a business traveler who may need to work from the room.

1 Thank Kelly T
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for honest review of our room. Per the soiled linen, we do sincerely apologize, that is definitely not the standard that we strive for here. From your description it sounds as if you were staying in one of our singles, which is the smallest room on the property. While are singles are perfect for someone passing through that needs a place to rest for the night, you are right and it is not ideal for business. We do offer 9 different room styles on our property ranging from our single to our Manager's Suite which is a 600 square foot apartment. Hopefully if you are ever in the area again, you will give us another chance and hopefully one of our other room types will meet your needs.
Chester, United States
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The most spectacular views of the bay and at night the Chesapeake bay bridge all lit is beautiful. I have seen dolphin and a stunning array of birds. Also being so close to the navy when the ships go by you can feel proud of our mighty force. Overall this is my favorite retreat.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the great review, I see that you are a returning guest and appreciate your continuing patronage. While the view you get of the bay from our balcony rooms is stunning in itself, it does add a little majesty seeing the dolphins and seabirds.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I took a 2-night retreat at this hotel in order to get focused on my writing and between the friendly staff, accommodations and GREAT VIEW of the Chesapeake Bay, sea grass, dunes, water and sunrises I was able to concentrate with ease and get a LOT of work done. I stayed at the 5-story oceanfront suite (refrig. and stove were all in good working order!) of the building in early January and only paid $80 per night which was a very good deal (not great) for this time of year--the breakfast is exceptional (two hot breakfasts including two types of waffles) and coffee and juice was available 24-7. Great time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I am ecstatic to hear that you had such a great time with us. I am sure that after your stay with us, you have no problems believing when I say we have had several writers spend weekends with us to have alone time for their writing. With the spectacular view of the bay, beach, dunes, and Bay Bridge Tunnel, how could one not be inspired to write?
United States
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. It is always clean and staff is helpful with directions. Love the view of the beach and the kitchen in the room. Breakfast is fine - hot foods and a nice variety.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am glad to hear that you had another enjoyable stay with us, and also glad to hear that my staff once again took good care of you and helped with making sure you knew where to go for some of our local favorite restaurants, and attractions.
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife, mother-in-law, and I stayed here for one night on Thanksgiving Day (11/28/2013) after driving 6 hours from Pennsylvania to Virginia. My wife & I had room 710, and my mother-in-law had adjoining room (711), and she is 91 years old with very poor eyesight due to macular degeneration. Thankfully, my wife was with her at 10:30pm to help her for bedtime. After pulling back the bedspread, the bed was visibly infested with bed bugs. I put three live bugs from the sheets into a plastic cup, and took them to the front office. Front desk clerk David saw the live bugs and was very apologetic, and told me he credited the full cost of that room. The three of us stayed (because it was already late at night) in room 710 but spent a lot of time inspecting the beds. Needless to say, we didn't sleep much that night. In the morning, the dayshift desk clerk Tamisha told me that both rooms would be fully charged to my credit card, and that the night shift clerk David was wrong, and that an 'investigation' needed to be performed. I demanded to see the manager, but he wasn't available. She gave me a 2-page form (Incident Report) which I filled out thoroughly. I asked for a photocopy, but she refused saying that their insurance did not allow staff to provide patrons any copy of the report (that I filled out)! After 20 minutes of complaining, she finally did give me a 50% credit for the one infested room. A couple days later, another employee Joe called me and told me both rooms would be fumigated, and that he got the manager to approve the other 50% on room 711. I now see many other reports of bed bugs at this same location. Shame on you, Best Western. I have been a Rewards Member for several years, but will never again stay at a Best Western hotel. And I will make sure my friends and co-workers are also aware of how this terrible incident was so poorly handled.

Room Tip: Do Not Book This Hotel - Bed Bug Problems, and Very Poor Customer Service by Staff.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank John L
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I am sorry that your stay with us was less then stellar and that you had some problems while you were here. We take any and all reports of bedbugs seriously and as soon as a guest reports even the possibility of bedbugs we shut down the room, and contact our pest control contractor (Orkin) to come out and due a full and complete inspection on the room, and treat it if need be. I am not sure where the miscommunication about credits and such was with my staff, but we have since had a meeting and reviewed policies to make sure they are all aware of how to handle situations like this. I once again offer my sincerest apologies to you and your family for us not exceeding your expectations while staying with us over the Thanksgiving holiday.