“Nice motel on beach”

Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a motel with rooms that open to the outside directly on the beach in a residential area of Norfolk. The staff is friendly, and although the room was a little small, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. They serve free breakfast each morning and there is free WI-FI. There Is free coffee and lemonade in the lobby and they have an outdoor pool and a patio with patio chairs. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for taking a few minutes to let us know about your stay with us, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am not sure what room type that you stayed in, but we do offer 9 different room types on the property ranging from our Single which is just a smaller room with a single queen sized bed, mini-fridge and microwave to our Manager's Suite which is a 600 sq ft apartment with two full bedrooms (each with own bath), and a full sized eat in kitchen. If you are ever in the area again, stop by and see if possible one of our other rooms may better suit your needs.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a good hotel, but, it needs some up dating. The staff is kind and helpful with all requests and made our stay comfortable. The water view was a pleasure as was the pool. It's an easy drive to the Norfolk waterfront, Virginia Beach and other tidewater areas.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for letting me know about your stay with us. We have had many comments like yours about needing some updates and now that our busy season is over, we are in the beginning phases of a 36 month renovation project. We hope that when you return to stay with us again, that you see the new and exciting things we have planed for the property.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

If you think that ocean front location guarantees ocean view for you - you are totally wrong.
I will be short.
I got unlucky to get dirty room with lots of wet spots on the carpet(from pets). Smell was terrible.
Windows from that room were facing walls of narrow public corridor. People were walking in that corridor back and forth. I had to keep the windows closed with curtains at all times. I was there like a rabbit in a hole.
How I got my clothes stolen? I asked them to clean my room. First few days I kept "Do not disturb" sign on the door, that's why they were not cleaning my room. In the evening, after I had my room cleaned I found that my shorts disappeared from my trunk. Those were really expensive, 270$ worth. I called the police and filed the report.
Manager was lazy and not professional, he arrived next day at 11:30 instead of 9(as I was told he was supposed to be there at 9 am).

• Stayed: April 2014

I appreciate you taking a few minutes to tell us about your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not an enjoyable one, and we did not exceed your expectations. I understand that you are a little upset about not having a view, but our building is shaped like a giant horse shoe, and with as much as we would like to give all of our guests bay view rooms, it is not possible.

As far of the shorts, I am sorry that you had shorts that were missing. I do understand your frustration, but I hope you understand that I have to do a complete investigation and can not just blame one of the staff members for a missing item before doing so.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This was our third hotel in a week and we loved this one. The pool was great, the beach was great. We were so sick of eating out that the kitchenette was welcomed. The only negatives were that we had a moldy shower curtain in room 122, I wish there was a cookie sheet or silverware in the kitchen, and the guests were partying on the patio until late.

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for letting me know about your stay, and I am glad to hear that you an enjoyable time. My apologies about the festivities from some of your neighbors. I hope that if you reported it, my staff took actions to correct the situation so that both you and the other guest were both able to enjoy your stays.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We found the Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Norfolk, VA a great place for a quick family vacation. The hotel exceeded our expectations by having a great team of associates who really made us feel welcomed and always asked if they could do anything more for us. The hotel sits on a great piece of beach that his clean with silky sand. I hope to be able to return again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the kind words, I am so glad to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. I have a wonderful staff here, that as you mentioned takes great pride and does everything that they can to make our guest feel welcome and part of the family.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

In a suite. Room 1 living area couch, desk TV queen bed and small kitchenette. Separated by door with access only from living room is second queen bed TV and the bathroom. Large pool and Patio area right on the beach with direct access to the Chesapeake bay beach. Good swimming at both pool and beach but no life guards. Swim at your on risk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks you for taking a few minutes from your day to let us know about your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time while here.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Upon check in, there was a mix up in the way the clerk attempted to get payment for the rooms and therefore, the hotel gave one of our rooms away. It took some time to get this resolved. Upon checking with the bank, it was an error on the hotels part.
We booked two rooms close together so we could enjoy time together and so that the children could go between rooms. The rooms were not close together. This made the stay complicated. We had 7 children, 6 of whom were under 10 years of age.
The first day, the AC did not work in the one room, it was reported, and the solution was for us to use fans which they supplied. The temperature outside was 90+ degrees.
The second day, the smoke alarm went off at 6 AM and when I called the desk, the clerk asked me what I wanted them to do. To which I said, "come make it stop".
On check out date, the painters were painting in front of our room, blocking the door and it was difficult to get everything to the car. This was unprofessional on the painter part.
This was my worst experience with a hotel ever.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to let me know about how your stay was at the property. I am sorry to hear we were not able to exceed your expectations while here. We try our best to make our guests stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible, but sometimes issues do arise and we try to take care of them to the best of our abilities. Hopefully if you are ever in the area again you will give us another change to try and exceed your expectations.