“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Our first impression of the Best Western in Norfolk, VA was that the outside of the hotel was tired, but the room seemed clean. The next morning, we went to the breakfast room and were not happy campers. The breakfast room is very small. There are I think, 5 or 6 tables total. There was a crowd of people trying to get their breakfasts and we ended up having to take our breakfast to our room. The food was average. There were 2 or 3 employees and they were surprisingly upbeat, considering the crowded conditions. We drove into town and when we got back that evening found that the tissue box which we had emptied that morning had not been replaced, nor was there a replacement roll of toilet paper which I knew we would need by morning. I called the front desk and the young lady apologized and someone came up with replacements shortly thereafter. We then realized that there was no bath mat, the trash can in the kitchen had not been replaced and there were ants in the kitchen sink. (I had rinsed my cereal bowl that morning and I guess there was a little cereal around the drain.). I reported all of these the next morning to the gentleman at the front desk on our way out to McDonald's for breakfast as once again there were no free tables in the breakfast room. That evening when we returned from our outing, things were better. I had spoken to the receptionist about the breakfast room and she said there were plans to enlarge it, but I'm sure this has been a problem for quite some time. One of the reasons I selected this hotel was the free breakfast. Needless to say, we were not able to take advantage of it. I'm sorry to say I would not return here nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and that we were not able to exceed your expectations. I am glad to hear that when you reported issues to my staff that they did try to take actions to correct the problems. We are currently in the design and approval process for expanding the breakfast room. We are patiently waiting for design and building permit approval from our corporate offices and the city, but we are hoping that when completed our guests will really enjoy our newly expanded and redesigned breakfast room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Holiday Sands for the second time. Both stays were great. A short drive to the base or downtown Norfolk (15 minutes). Just down the road from Little Creek. Norfolk Airport (ORF) and Botanical Gardens about six miles away.The hotel is pet friendly and there are several places to walk the dog. Room we stayed in had laminate flooring, a great idea for a pet friendly room ! Close to restaurants and grocery stores. Has a very good (FREE) breakfast with friendly, helpful staff. Right on the beach - very quiet most of the time. Great view of Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Good views of US Navy ships and aircraft headed to NS Norfolk.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are more private, has balcony. Upper floors (has 5) have great view of Chesapeake Bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I am excited to hear that you had a great stay with us for the second time, and hope that you have many more great stays with us if you visit the area again. We do have a great little area here, and as you mentioned we are nicely centrally located to almost everything. 20 minutes to the downtown area, 15 minutes to the airport, 30 minutes to the Virginia Beach oceanfront, and just minutes away from several great eateries.
Rainelle, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This Hotel has a very good location only minutes away from Virginia Beach, also has its own private beach, very clean, supportive staff. My second year bringing my family to vacation here.. {We Love It}. Great job to Taneisha and to John for being so helpful. Thanks so much from Kim and Curtis Mcclung

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for such kind words. I am glad to hear that for a second year in a row that you have enjoyed your stay here with us. My staff is always willing and eager to go that extra mile to make sure our guests' stay are as enjoyable as possible.
Woodbridge, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This facility was clean, comfortable, service was superior. Location was perfent for beach goers. Breakfast was good. Fitness center needed work, but usable, pool was clean. Bed was extremely comfortable. Pullout sofa was old and not comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking a few minutes out of your busy schedule to let me know about you stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had a great time and they staff took great care of you. Then equipment in the fitness room is only a few months old, but we are always open to suggestions and idea about what our guests would like to see on the property. I am sorry that you did not find the sleeper sofa comfortable, we are continually researching and trying new things to improve the comfort and sleep quality of the sleeper sofas.
Johnson City, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The cleanest, most well ran property i've come across, and i actually manage a best western myself. The quality of this hotel is incomparable to even brand new state of the art hotels. Thanks for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am glad to hard that you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate the kind words. While we do not consider ourselves to be perfect, we do take pride in doing everything we can to make sure the property is clean and well maintained, and also to make sure that our guests are well taken care of and that they do not feel like they are just guests of a hotel, but they feel like they are a member of the family.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I chose this hotel for our mini family getaway to the beach. It was perfect, I traveled with the extended family and a total of 5 kids. We reserved 2 rooms each being a 2-Room King Suite. (As I was checking out I got a tour of the manager's suite which is only available by phone but worth the price as its huge (large living room, large gourmet kitchen and dinning room table for 6-8; sleeper sofa, and 2 br, 2 ba - splinting the cost with the family makes it just that much affordable). The beach is on the Bay side (the waves are not as mellow as at First Landing State Park 20 minutes up the road), but perfect for bogie boarding! Note the beach is right out the back door. The pool and patio is fantastic, with charcoal grills available for your use. Most importantly, the staff is friendly and the place is immaculate. If the kids have the need to run to the bathroom while at the pool or beach, there is a bathroom on the lower level in the laundry room so you don't have to run up to your room. The hotel is conveniently near a few fast food restaurants and a grocery store. Overall, it was perfect! way to kick off my summer!

Room Tip: 1) the 3 rooms next to the fitness center on the upper level; 2) the manager's suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I am so happy to hear that we were able to help make you mini vacation an enjoyable one. We are one of the only hotels in Ocean View that is beach from property with direct beach access. My staff does a great job in making sure the property stays clean and well kept. They also do a wonderful job in making our guest feel like they are at home.
Roanoke, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I realize it's summer and rates are higher than usual, but when I spend almost $370.00 for a TWO night stay at a hotel, I expect much more than the BW-Sands gave for my money. 1. Even though the furniture has been updated, it was dirty. There were very obvious stains and marks on the couch and chair. The desk chair looked it had been scratched up by a dog. 2. The edges of the carpet are fraying and make it easy for someone to catch a heel of their shoe on - which I did and fell into the kitchen area. Not everyone goes barefoot or wears flip-flops in a hotel room, some of us wear heels when we are getting ready to go out for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. 3. In the shower it is clear that there is water leaking behind the new surrounds, because the bottom always looks wet. 4. The air conditioner in our room - the front was not attached to the unit. Big gap between the cover and the inner works and Noisy! 5. Because we slept in and did not leave our room until after 1 p.m. - we got no maid service! Not a good value for what they charge per night.Probably will look for something at Va Beach next time.

1 Thank Joyce G
Thank you for taking time to tell us about you stay, I really appreciate the candidness of your review and am sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations. My staff takes great pride in trying to keep the property up and as clean as possible, but sometimes a few little things do slip through the crack. I am hoping that you reported any issues to the front desk as soon as they arose giving us opportunity to correct any issues we may have missed to hopefully make your stay a little better.