“Musty, mildewy, depressing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Musty, mildewy, depressing”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Outdated, dank, trashy, flies overtook breakfast room, overcrowded bfast room, poor quality food. Bedroom smelled. Air conditioning did not work well. Adjacent beach full of litter and cigarette butts. Hugely disappointing. In a seedy part of Norfolk. We couldn't wait to leave.

Stayed August 2014
Chad M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and that our property did not exceed your expectations. While it is true that several years ago Ocean View was not one of the "better" areas of Norfolk, it has made many improvements over the years and is one of the favorite areas for locals and tourists to enjoy the beach.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Blackstone, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I picked this hotel because everything on the strip of Va beach was booked. I heard the area this hotel is in is a little sketchy, but I never felt unsafe or scared. I absolutely loved my stay. Very friendly staff. Rooms very clean. Atmosphere wonderful! I highly recommend this to all!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Ocean View sometimes does have a bed reputation because it was not one of the "better" areas in Norfolk, but as you were able to see the area is not a bad little area, and the city, civic leagues, Home Owners Associations, and Business Owners in the area are making constant improvements. Hopefully if you are ever in the Norfolk area again you will stay with us again.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, we got a room with balcony overlooking the beach. Beds/pillows were comfortable and the staff was friendly. If you're looking for a laid back, beachy place to go this hotel will do just fine. The pool and cont breakfast were also nice. Hotel was nothing fancy but it was clean, relaxing and we enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our area and our property is one of the little hidden gems in the Norfolk area. Ocean View has a real laid back easy going beach atmosphere, and we are one of only two properties in Ocean View that offers bay views from many of our rooms.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The room we were in was not much more than a closet. One of us had to sit to allow the other into the restroom. The curtains do not block the extreme bright outdoor lights which are probably needed due to the proximity to the questionable neighborhood. Also you cannot turn on a light in the bathroom without an extremely loud fan, when you flush the toilet it sounds like an explosion and it is so close to the bed if you flush at night you will wake up anyone who is asleep. All this is if you can get past the old carpet smell.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you give a credit card!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
I do apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations while staying with us. From your description, it sounds as if you were staying in one of our singles which is just a smaller room with a single queen sized bed. We do offer 8 different room styles on our property ranging from our single all the way up to our Manager's Suite which is a 600 square foot apartment. If you are ever in the area again, stop by and check out one of our other room types which may be more of what you were looking for.
Gaithersburg, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a group of 18 staying at the hotel. We stayed here last year. The rooms could use deep carpet cleaning, my children's (2 and 4 yrs. old) feet were black from walking on the dirty carpet. I understand the hotel is near the beach, and people come with dirt, sand, and everything else; but the carpet was dirtier than average. Since we had a big group, we had planned to eat at the premises' patio, but it was raining hard. We couldn't use the little breakfast area due to health regulations which we understood, so the manager told us that he could give us foldable tables on a little walkway. That was nice. Then on the second day, a saw an employee from the breakfast area pushing the trash, in the trash can. She was using gloves, so I figure, she would change her gloves. But she didn't. I went to tell her to please be mindful that she was touching food and the trash with the same gloves, and she got defensive. I told her that I was concerned about small children getting sick to be nice. She ignored me and proceeded to wash her hands with the gloves on. I just walked away, but I just fed my kids the cereal that I brought and oranges. Now, all of the employees, including the ones in the breakfast room, were friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Cynthia G
Thank you for letting us know about your stay with us. I am glad to hear that your family had a great stay. The staff here is one of the shining gems of the property. They all take great pride and pleasure in not only keeping the property in the best shape possible, but also treating our guest like family and making them feel like home while they are staying with. I was a little taken back by your description of what happened in the breakfast room. I have met with not only my breakfast staff, but all of the employees who are certified food handlers and revisited the procedures to prevent that from happening again.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Our first impression of the Best Western in Norfolk, VA was that the outside of the hotel was tired, but the room seemed clean. The next morning, we went to the breakfast room and were not happy campers. The breakfast room is very small. There are I think, 5 or 6 tables total. There was a crowd of people trying to get their breakfasts and we ended up having to take our breakfast to our room. The food was average. There were 2 or 3 employees and they were surprisingly upbeat, considering the crowded conditions. We drove into town and when we got back that evening found that the tissue box which we had emptied that morning had not been replaced, nor was there a replacement roll of toilet paper which I knew we would need by morning. I called the front desk and the young lady apologized and someone came up with replacements shortly thereafter. We then realized that there was no bath mat, the trash can in the kitchen had not been replaced and there were ants in the kitchen sink. (I had rinsed my cereal bowl that morning and I guess there was a little cereal around the drain.). I reported all of these the next morning to the gentleman at the front desk on our way out to McDonald's for breakfast as once again there were no free tables in the breakfast room. That evening when we returned from our outing, things were better. I had spoken to the receptionist about the breakfast room and she said there were plans to enlarge it, but I'm sure this has been a problem for quite some time. One of the reasons I selected this hotel was the free breakfast. Needless to say, we were not able to take advantage of it. I'm sorry to say I would not return here nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
I apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and that we were not able to exceed your expectations. I am glad to hear that when you reported issues to my staff that they did try to take actions to correct the problems. We are currently in the design and approval process for expanding the breakfast room. We are patiently waiting for design and building permit approval from our corporate offices and the city, but we are hoping that when completed our guests will really enjoy our newly expanded and redesigned breakfast room.
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Holiday Sands for the second time. Both stays were great. A short drive to the base or downtown Norfolk (15 minutes). Just down the road from Little Creek. Norfolk Airport (ORF) and Botanical Gardens about six miles away.The hotel is pet friendly and there are several places to walk the dog. Room we stayed in had laminate flooring, a great idea for a pet friendly room ! Close to restaurants and grocery stores. Has a very good (FREE) breakfast with friendly, helpful staff. Right on the beach - very quiet most of the time. Great view of Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Good views of US Navy ships and aircraft headed to NS Norfolk.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are more private, has balcony. Upper floors (has 5) have great view of Chesapeake Bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I am excited to hear that you had a great stay with us for the second time, and hope that you have many more great stays with us if you visit the area again. We do have a great little area here, and as you mentioned we are nicely centrally located to almost everything. 20 minutes to the downtown area, 15 minutes to the airport, 30 minutes to the Virginia Beach oceanfront, and just minutes away from several great eateries.