“Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My wife and I recently stay for a nice weekend getaway; was a little skeptical at first after reading the reviews prior to checking in. The hotel and staff were GREAT! The staff was very delightful and helpful throughout the two night stay; the rooms were comfortable with the sleep number bed being the biggest hit. The internet was fast (Prior reviewer… Make sure you log into the Internet using hotel login ID/password, works just fine – and the beds are adjustable for your comfort) The Black Tuna Bar/Grill bar tenders were also very polite and considerate. There are a few good places to eat and places to visit that are in walking distance and the beach is about 16 miles away. If we find ourselves in the area again we will consider using this hotel again.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I checked in and when to room 707. I unpacked and turned AC on. After an hour, the AC never cooled the room down. I called the front desk and they sent a maintenance guy up and he said as he was walking across the room to the AC that the compressor was not working.

The guy called down on his walkie talkie to the front desk to have them move me to another room. So I had to pack up everything and move and then unpack again.This is my first 2 hours here.

Also the TV remote control did not work in the first room I was in.

I went to buy a bottle of water from the vending machine on the same floor, the 7th, and neither did the vending machine work or the ice machine. Since there are no smoking rooms in this hotel I had to go to down to the lobby outside. While I was down there, I asked the front desk if they knew the vending machine and ice machine on the 7th floor. The front desk reply was that they did not and said that they don't use them so they have to wait for a customer to tell them.

You would think management would have the cleaning staff or maintenance guy check them to ensure they work. It appears that this hotel as a non-management style.

The pool which I could see from room was almost empty except for some very green water in the very bottom.

Only one elevator was working and when I asked about this when I checked out, I was told that a service company was supposed to be coming out to fix the other elevator.

I tried to use the wifi but it was so slow that I could not even use it with my iPhone.

It appears that this is a poorly run hotel. I can see why Crowne had their name removed from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
I apologize for any inconviences you suffered. They were not the norm for this hotel. Please contact me direct at the hotel and I will be glad to assist you.

GM
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We recently stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel for 3 nights -- we made a "blind" discount reservation on Expedia and ended up there. We paid about $90/night, and had an average experience.
On the positive side, the location is good: It's within walking distance from downtown, and parking is a not-bad $7/night. The staff could not have been more helpful and nice. We had forgotten our toothpaste and they gave us a free one. They also sent out a service guy immediately when we had problems with the TV's reception, and when machines weren't working in the gym.
On the negative side, well, the reception remained bad; both stationery bikes weren't fixed; and the elliptical was so rickety as to be worthless. The beds were firm, to say the least, and I woke up with a sore back. Pretty stingy on the toiletries as well.
On our last night, several families and friends were in rooms on our floor, and kept visiting each other, knocking on doors and being loud in the hallway. They kept it up until 3am. We asked them to keep it down, called the reception, to no avail. Technically not the hotel's fault, but it was really annoying.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2012

As soon as we got to our room we noticed that the toilet had not even been flushed from the guests before let alone had it been cleaned. The service at this hotel is terrible... There is a guy or at leaste we think he was a guy at the front desk that was rude and snarky from the time we got there. This was the grossest hotel I have ever stayed in next time I'll walk the extra block to stay at the Marriott at leaste they clean their rooms

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Travelsalotz
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
We were shocked to hear of your experience. It is not the norm for this hotel. If you would please contact me direct at the hotel, I will investigate further and respond back to you. Also I will gladly make corrections to your charges. We strive to give quality service and rooms to all our guests and appreciate your input.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The location is great; within walking distance of many great restaurants and entertainment venues. There's a newer shopping mall nearby, and an Enterprise car rental place next door. Plenty of parking and friendly staff. The decor is a bit bold in the public spaces, but the rooms are more subtle.
One big plus is that the hotel is structurally better than a lot of newer hotels, so that I did not hear my neighbors at all through the walls, though you do hear doors slamming once in a while, but it's a lot better than almost every other hotel I've stayed at in the past year.
The only negative thing I can say is that the business center could use some new computers. I had to print some documents from a USB drive and ended up going to Kinkos because it just couldn't be done at the hotel. But, with recent change in management, perhaps that will be addressed.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank smp8589
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thanks for your kind words! We'll use them as a training tool to make us even better at serving our customers!
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 3 March 2012

this hotel is very unique... love the environment when you walk into the lobby... the staff (housekeepers & maintenance) are fantastic... they are very friendly and always go out of their way to talk to you and make you comfortable. The restaurant downstairs Black Tuna Grill has good food but not many options at all... and they are quite pricey. The breakfast buffet was $11.99 and I wasnt too impressed but there is a mcdonalds right down the road if you choose to go there. The worst part about this hotel was the area.. the traffic is ridiculous. There is an accident if not multiple accidents everyday outside the hotel... sirens ring out ALL DAY long.. We were on the 9th floor and it still sounded as though it was right outside the window. If you need to get somewhere in a hurry you better pick the right time to head out due to the heaviness of traffic. But you dont have to go very far for towns that have whatever you need. The rooms were incredibly clean and comfy. Would stay here again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jennifer4121988
Lee F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thanks for your comments! We appreciate all our guests and need your feedback so that we can do a better job!

Thanks again!
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I thought since the hotel was recently (2 yrs ago) purchase from a non-chain hotel line that it would be different, perhaps unique. Not so much. Its was very average, but the price was too, so thats okay. Two main complaints ... the AC cannot really be controlled. Temp can be, but not the fan. Also there was no mini-fridge, not a huge deal on either of those but still, expected at minimum.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sleepam
Neil F, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. We're going thru a franchise change to better serve our guests and somehow managed to drop the ball for you. Please contact me thru our hotel's main number so I can correct those issues for you.
Thanks,