“NEVER AGAIN”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
“NEVER AGAIN”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Where Do I Start!I was there for a family reunion and I wasn't happy about the hotel.The location isn't all that good at all. When you first came in the lobby was beautiful.I had used a charged card and they didn't let me know that they would be taken money out till you checked out.The pool was the most nasty thing i saw.The water was green and smelled nasty like it haven't been cleaned out in years.The rooms wasn't like on the website.The beds was very hard,the TV wasn't all that good it would go in and out.The room smelled so musty that I had to keep spraying.When I first saw about they accepted animals I had called and the people told me that the animals are in a different area well that was a LIE a dog a came out the room.Also it was Hot everywhere in that hotel but inside the rooms.I wouldn't come back to this Hotel there are to many problems that need to get fix.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I don't know where to start. I should have gone with my gut on this but did not. One elevator worked out of 4, I would have walked it, but it was 10 floors up with luggage. The lounge was okay, one sserver/bartender so service was slow. Not sure as to why kids are allowed in the bar. My son slipped down the stairs outside and being a safety hazard I told the person at the desk, and received a "yea right" thype answer, then I showed his bruised armed with abrasions. Oh well their lawsuit when an older person falls down. At the same time a lady who appeared to be higher up the archy just stood there looking at her emails. Pool looked pretty gross and was out of commission. Do not plan to stay again even though I will be thre often as my son will be going to school in Norfolk.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay. As the new General Manager of the hotel, we are working to improve the facilities in several areas. Though our pool is out of service at this time, we are working on repairs to try to have it open before the end of summer.
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The customer service was above average. They were concerned about our comfort and demonstrated that by replacing our room with a free upgrade and refunding a portion of the hotel fee. We had a loud continuous dripping sound coming from the air conditioning unit above us. The hotel's décor was very nice and felt elegant as you walked in. There was also a fitness and business center available. Unfortunately the hotel's pool was not open due to a malfunctioning water pump. To compensate us, they waived the $10 per night parking fee (but to be honest- they should not be charging the parking fee for a lot that is neither covered or under surveillance). The treadmills in the fitness center were not functioning. They have nice Sleep Number beds but some of them did not work :( Overall they still have some work to do to get the hotel up to par with what it could be, but it was a nice stay!

Room Tip: The junior suites are worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate all of our guests and fare always looking for ways to improve. I will relay the good comments about our staff directly to them.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

12 floors of motor lodge
One elevator out of 4 operational for guests. Two elevators out of 4 reserved for staff and housekeeping, One simply non-operational. Rear Stairs under repair. Sidewalk approach to front lobby needing repair. Pool Out of Commission. Doors don't close properly in room, had to slam closed. Nothing to stop door from damaging wall (wall was damaged in my room) when opening door. Drawers in furniture tend to stay open, probably because they are not level. `Toilets flush poorly, having to hold lever until water eventually drains. Very limited and expensive menu from in house dining. No Curio/Souvenir shop in lobby area. Rate this one a 1 STAR...Advertised complimentary parking (as long as you are willing to pay $10 a night.) Friendly staff, but terrible management and dilapidated facilities. Avoid. Super 8 and Motel 6 have this one beat.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 2nd floor have terribly wi-fi connectivity. With only One elevator, first floor is t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jesse D
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. As the newly appointed General Manger of the hotel, we are taking strides to improve all of the issues you have listed. There is one elevator door in our hotel that does not have an elevator associated with it, but is still visible for symmetry. We have two elevators for guests and only one for our staff to use. As for the comments about our staff being friendly, I wish to thank you, we are very proud of how our staff helps guests and we are elated that we have put together such a friendly staff. As far as your room, I would love for you to contact me directly and let me know what room you were in so I can have all of the issues you described corrected to avoid having any other guest have to deal with these same issues.

Again, Thank you so much for your feed back, I would love to have you contact me directly so I can assure you that the issues you had in with your stay are not the norm for this hotel and we are doing as much as possible to improve every day.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I traveled to Norfolk for our annual Family reunion.( Torry) i was so excited about the trip. We were there 2 nights. The whole weekend there was only 1 elevator working out of 4. There was no ac in the lobby, elevator or areas where you could sit and socialize. The pool was out of order as well. Being there for a reunion of course we had lots of children in need of a place to blow off some energy. We were not told that the pool was inoperable. I know things happen in this industry because i was a GM of a hotel before, but that pool had been out for some time because there were not chairs around it and the bottom of the pool is one big black stain. We should have ben informed of this. The sleep number beds in my room did not work, so disappointed in that as well. The first night there was a loud party on one side of me that lasted until about 3am and on the other side a crazy man slamming his door open and close to get on our nerves. The one good thing that i can say is that the staff that i did come in contact with where very nice and friendly. Sheena at the front desk, Eugene in security, and Charles. Not sure what department he worked in but he helped us with things we needed fir our hospitality room on Friday night and he was in the breakfast room each morning. There was also another guy that kept checking on us Friday night but I did not get his name. I think that the GM has a great staff but he needs to get on the ball with repairs. I would like a response from the GM on this. I was in room 1202 the weekend of June 29th

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Larry S, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel.

As far as your individual concerns over the weekend with the hotel, there are several issues that our staff could not deal with such as the area loosing power on Friday several times that did cause power surges and outages in the area that caused one of our elevators to go out at the end of the weekend. The additional two elevator doors that you see from our elevator lobbies are our freight and service elevators.
We did see a large group of your family reunion people enjoying the lobby and with external doors and people coming in and out, the temperature did spike up in the lobby. That is the reason we opened our small meeting room off the lobby up to your family on Saturday at no charge so you could be cooler.
Unfortunately, our pool is out of order at this time. A pipe has ruptured underground and until that can be replaced we are unable to open the pool for health code reasons. We did contact the head of your group prior to anyone from your group checking in to see if we could do anything for your group to make up for the lack of a pool and we were told that they had activities already planned without the pool.
Overall, I do hope you still enjoyed your weekend with us and we would love to host your family here again and thank you again for sharing your concerns.
Lakeville, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2013

It started with our reservation. We needed to make a nine hour trip the next day to visit a relative at Sentara Hospital. Patricia asked the right questions regarding our reservation and gave us a great rate. Upon arrival, Xander and Yolanda suggested they would add a day to our reservation just in case our relative was not out of ICU. We ended up needing that extra day. They also printed directions to the hospital as well as to the nearest grocery store. Michael has a great crew at the Black Tuna Grill. Sean and Niyma provided great service. They were friendly and professional making a stressful time, for us, less stressful. Great location. The Norfolk Plaza is only about a mile and a half from Sentara Hospital. Too bad there is no plan to open the pool this year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We recently had a family event at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel with 40+ guests. This event was planned in stages. First was booking the rooms. LynLy, one of the hotel managers made this process for all of us pleasant and simple. She handled each reservation with professionalism and was able to accomodate special needs of a few guests. Angelo, the Director of Catering helped plan the party. He was great to work with and took care of even the smallest of details that I would not have thought of without his input and guidance. He made the planning process an enjoyable experience. There were a few minor issues upon check-in with 2 guests. Once brought to the attention of the night manager, Zander, he immediately remedied the situation. He was extremely accomodating and professional. The rooms were updated, clean and comfortable. We hosted a special party and the meal was prepared by Chef Charles and his staff. The food was delicious and rivaled some of the areas top restaurants.. The room set up and presentation was impeccable thanks to the catering staff , especially Michael. He catered to our every need during the event.
I have heard comments, both good and not so good, about this hotel in the past, but from my recent experience, I would not hesitate to stay and/or host additional events at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. Not only do you get the personal attention many major chains lack, the hotel offers many of the same amenities as the large chains and the staff are definitely there to provide exceptional customer service. I was told that the hotel recently added a new General Manager. It was very obvious that the new General Manager, Larry is the force behind many of the recent improvements and upgrades. Thank you to the entire staff for a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family