“STAY AWAY”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Lafayette, Louisiana
“STAY AWAY”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I've seen a lot of families stay here and my heart goes out to them: This place is a dump. There is only one working elevator—out of four. There is no cable, the Wifi is awful, it goes in and out—so forget about Netflix. The place stinks—bad. The AC is VERY LOUD.

The one silver lining? The staff is very friendly and professional. You almost feel bad for them. From the housekeeping to the front desk, everyone who works here is very nice and tries as hard as they can. I get the feeling that they are dealing with a crappy owner who doesn't want to front the money to make this place a world class hotel. As it stands now, it seems like a typical rat hole in the middle of Sh!t City.

1 Thank Clovis C
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. As the new General Manager of the Norfolk Plaza, I take all of your comments to heart and I assure you I am working to raise the standards here at the hotel for all of our guests.

I do really appreciate your comments about our staff. They are the best asset any hotel can have.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I coordinated a company dinner meeting with about 110 people. Angelo Economou, the Director of Catering, could not have been more accommodating. Throughout the contracting and planning process he was accessible and more than willing to meet our every need. On the evening of the event everything went smoothly and all enjoyed their meal. Angelo went that extra mile to provide lactose free ice cream for a couple of folks. The hotel is under new management and has been re-decorated recently. It is currently undergoing a complete overhaul after some years of neglect. The property will benefit greatly when the ballroom movie screen motor is repaired. They lowered it manually and nothing suffered as a result. The staff were responded to every request with dispatch and alacrity. All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your event went. We look forward to many more events with you here at the hotel.
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Where Do I Start!I was there for a family reunion and I wasn't happy about the hotel.The location isn't all that good at all. When you first came in the lobby was beautiful.I had used a charged card and they didn't let me know that they would be taken money out till you checked out.The pool was the most nasty thing i saw.The water was green and smelled nasty like it haven't been cleaned out in years.The rooms wasn't like on the website.The beds was very hard,the TV wasn't all that good it would go in and out.The room smelled so musty that I had to keep spraying.When I first saw about they accepted animals I had called and the people told me that the animals are in a different area well that was a LIE a dog a came out the room.Also it was Hot everywhere in that hotel but inside the rooms.I wouldn't come back to this Hotel there are to many problems that need to get fix.

• Stayed July 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I don't know where to start. I should have gone with my gut on this but did not. One elevator worked out of 4, I would have walked it, but it was 10 floors up with luggage. The lounge was okay, one sserver/bartender so service was slow. Not sure as to why kids are allowed in the bar. My son slipped down the stairs outside and being a safety hazard I told the person at the desk, and received a "yea right" thype answer, then I showed his bruised armed with abrasions. Oh well their lawsuit when an older person falls down. At the same time a lady who appeared to be higher up the archy just stood there looking at her emails. Pool looked pretty gross and was out of commission. Do not plan to stay again even though I will be thre often as my son will be going to school in Norfolk.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay. As the new General Manager of the hotel, we are working to improve the facilities in several areas. Though our pool is out of service at this time, we are working on repairs to try to have it open before the end of summer.
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The customer service was above average. They were concerned about our comfort and demonstrated that by replacing our room with a free upgrade and refunding a portion of the hotel fee. We had a loud continuous dripping sound coming from the air conditioning unit above us. The hotel's décor was very nice and felt elegant as you walked in. There was also a fitness and business center available. Unfortunately the hotel's pool was not open due to a malfunctioning water pump. To compensate us, they waived the $10 per night parking fee (but to be honest- they should not be charging the parking fee for a lot that is neither covered or under surveillance). The treadmills in the fitness center were not functioning. They have nice Sleep Number beds but some of them did not work :( Overall they still have some work to do to get the hotel up to par with what it could be, but it was a nice stay!

Room Tip: The junior suites are worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate all of our guests and fare always looking for ways to improve. I will relay the good comments about our staff directly to them.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

12 floors of motor lodge
One elevator out of 4 operational for guests. Two elevators out of 4 reserved for staff and housekeeping, One simply non-operational. Rear Stairs under repair. Sidewalk approach to front lobby needing repair. Pool Out of Commission. Doors don't close properly in room, had to slam closed. Nothing to stop door from damaging wall (wall was damaged in my room) when opening door. Drawers in furniture tend to stay open, probably because they are not level. `Toilets flush poorly, having to hold lever until water eventually drains. Very limited and expensive menu from in house dining. No Curio/Souvenir shop in lobby area. Rate this one a 1 STAR...Advertised complimentary parking (as long as you are willing to pay $10 a night.) Friendly staff, but terrible management and dilapidated facilities. Avoid. Super 8 and Motel 6 have this one beat.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 2nd floor have terribly wi-fi connectivity. With only One elevator, first floor is t...
1 Thank Jesse D
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. As the newly appointed General Manger of the hotel, we are taking strides to improve all of the issues you have listed. There is one elevator door in our hotel that does not have an elevator associated with it, but is still visible for symmetry. We have two elevators for guests and only one for our staff to use. As for the comments about our staff being friendly, I wish to thank you, we are very proud of how our staff helps guests and we are elated that we have put together such a friendly staff. As far as your room, I would love for you to contact me directly and let me know what room you were in so I can have all of the issues you described corrected to avoid having any other guest have to deal with these same issues.

Again, Thank you so much for your feed back, I would love to have you contact me directly so I can assure you that the issues you had in with your stay are not the norm for this hotel and we are doing as much as possible to improve every day.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I traveled to Norfolk for our annual Family reunion.( Torry) i was so excited about the trip. We were there 2 nights. The whole weekend there was only 1 elevator working out of 4. There was no ac in the lobby, elevator or areas where you could sit and socialize. The pool was out of order as well. Being there for a reunion of course we had lots of children in need of a place to blow off some energy. We were not told that the pool was inoperable. I know things happen in this industry because i was a GM of a hotel before, but that pool had been out for some time because there were not chairs around it and the bottom of the pool is one big black stain. We should have ben informed of this. The sleep number beds in my room did not work, so disappointed in that as well. The first night there was a loud party on one side of me that lasted until about 3am and on the other side a crazy man slamming his door open and close to get on our nerves. The one good thing that i can say is that the staff that i did come in contact with where very nice and friendly. Sheena at the front desk, Eugene in security, and Charles. Not sure what department he worked in but he helped us with things we needed fir our hospitality room on Friday night and he was in the breakfast room each morning. There was also another guy that kept checking on us Friday night but I did not get his name. I think that the GM has a great staff but he needs to get on the ball with repairs. I would like a response from the GM on this. I was in room 1202 the weekend of June 29th

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Larry S, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel.

As far as your individual concerns over the weekend with the hotel, there are several issues that our staff could not deal with such as the area loosing power on Friday several times that did cause power surges and outages in the area that caused one of our elevators to go out at the end of the weekend. The additional two elevator doors that you see from our elevator lobbies are our freight and service elevators.
We did see a large group of your family reunion people enjoying the lobby and with external doors and people coming in and out, the temperature did spike up in the lobby. That is the reason we opened our small meeting room off the lobby up to your family on Saturday at no charge so you could be cooler.
Unfortunately, our pool is out of order at this time. A pipe has ruptured underground and until that can be replaced we are unable to open the pool for health code reasons. We did contact the head of your group prior to anyone from your group checking in to see if we could do anything for your group to make up for the lack of a pool and we were told that they had activities already planned without the pool.
Overall, I do hope you still enjoyed your weekend with us and we would love to host your family here again and thank you again for sharing your concerns.