“Khaki Ball”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Outstanding, recently had my command Khaki Ball here and we had a great time. Angelo and his staff were great, they made things happen and were curteous and attentive. There was nothing that we wanted for the entire night. If I had a question he was right there with the answer. We had a budget that Angelo made sure we were able to stick too, my brothers and sisters had a great time. The food was delicious too! Thank you so much Angelo and crew! I hope to be back again next year!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the upgrade to suite, it's not that much more and is very spacious!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your event here at the Norfolk Plaza.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

When we arrived at the front desk a little early on check in day your representative Yolanda Bond took great care of us. She was very courteous and accommodating. The room was excellent and well maintained. All of the staff that I came in contact with were friendly and courteous.

The negatives I have are the elevators or lack of, and the slow response given in trying to get them repaired and the meals. Only two of the four elevators were available for guests and one of those quit working while we were there. When we left it was very difficult to get up and down with everyone checking out and only one elevator working. We were also served three meals at our convention while at the hotel. Those meals were probably three of the worst I have ever been served. The steak we had the first evening was done to a different degree for everyone at my table. One was not eatable because it was raw. The next meal was pasta. It was dry and the presentation was very unappetizing. No color on the plate at all. The last meal served was chicken and tuna salad. Again no consistency in the plating and the presentation lacked appeal. We were served iced tea with no ice and never were served iced water with any meal. The wait staff, while courteous, lacked training.

While the room was a good value I doubt that I would ever stay again or recommend your hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank ArmyVet1980
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about the hotel. As the new manager of the hotel, we are working hard to improve every aspect of our guests stay.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I would like to recommend this hotel and their staff if you are just staying as an individual or using it as place to hold a professional conventional. It was my pleasure to be a guest at this hotel, a delegate at the convention for the US Women's Army Corp, and responsible for opening/operating a hospitality room for the convention delegates and their guests for a period of five(5) days.
Angelo Economou, Director of Catering; Larry Sauger, Dir of Guest Satisfaction; Anthony Sellers, Chef; Sean Bradley, Morning Buffet Server; Johnny Ethridge, Morning Cook; Amber, #1 Bartenter; Sheena King, Telfq Pettaaway @ the front desk all did their very best to make a very enjoyable, smooth working occasion for myself and the convention attendees. Running a hospitality room for that period of time is usually very difficult but this staff made it work. many thanks from many veterans. p.s. I was also impressed by the present of a security officer.

1  Thank betty h

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our staff. We pride ourselves on the level of service we give to our guests.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel needs upgrade; Internet only worked on upper floors; only one (of 4) elevators worked. Hotel made special inexpensive menus in the bar when our convention didn't have meals. No gift shop. Hotel was NOT handicapped accessible. Many stairs to get in/out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Internet doesn't work on upper floors.
3  Thank JeanStall
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We strive to make sure we have the best people in the industry.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The hotel is allright and the furniture is outdated and the hallways were so stinky you could barely breathe.
It had 4 elevators and only 1 worked, it used to be a crown plaza but now it is only a plaza and it shows, it is right in downtown but is lonely in the area so you cant walk any where cause is a bit scary

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fejaber
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are working hard to improve the hotel and we appreciate the time you took to write with your feedback.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I had a really great stay at this hotel. The hotel staff, namely Cheryl Taylor and Evelyn the hotel supervisor, are excellent in their great care, pleasant personality, and quality of service. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Torrance R

Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to hire and train the best in the area.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I enjoyed my stay in the hotel because the staff made up for any of the short comings in maintenance.
PROS - When I returned from work my room was clean and ready to for my stay that day.I just want say the lady who took care of my floor (Monique) always did an exceptional job and always had my room taken care of before I returned during my stay.

CONS -There is one working elevator still after 2 weeks here and that includes the cleaning staff must use it as well so at peak times on the weekend it can get annoying for everyone involved. When I used the luggage carrier all the wheels have low air pressure.

Room Tip: Any room on the 11th floor if you really need good dependable internet. Stay off the 10th floor I co...
1  Thank jajo63
Larry S, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. We are striving to provide the best staff to make all of our guests enjoy their stay.