“Good hotel turned bad???”

Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Upon check-in, you will notice that the rooms are good size, clean and presentable. But if you are on business and you stay for more than 2 days to a week or months, you will notice few things that are not at par to hotel standards:
1) STRUCTURAL DAMAGE to the ceiling: Drywalls falling apart and paint chips on the floor not being vacuumed everyday!
2) LOW WATER PRESSURE and PROBLEM WITH HOT WATER in the shower!
3) Couldn't get a room transfer for 3 days now. Said that they don't have any!
I wish management will have a reasonable solution to this problem!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank flxbr2
Larry S, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

I am sorry to hear about your recent stay here at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel. The conditions that you describe are not the standards we strive for here. We are currently doing work to many of our guest rooms to address the issues you mentioned and are also in the process of upgrading many of our features including adding LCD tv's to all of our rooms.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

About 8 months ago I stayed in this hotel only to have had a firefighter knock on my door at 4:00am to evacuate the hotel due to very dangerous levels of carbon menoxide. I stayed at the plaza again, as I was in Norfolk randomly, it was college graduation weekend, and every other "decent" hotel was booked. The hotel is VERY dated, and if it were 1978 this hotel might have been acceptable... I turned back the covers in my bed only to find crusty yellow stains on both the sheets AND the pillows! There was no way the linens were changed from the last guest, ABSOLUTLY DISGUSTING! Apperently, a wealthy Indian man owns both the Plaza along with the Tazewell hotel on Granby St. He apparently hired an incompatant friend to manage this Hotel, who was an absolute nightmare to deal with! Without writing a book on my experience with management, I'll simply say that you will never feel comfortable in any hotel again after staying in this antiquated, disgusting excuse of a hotel! Also the Norfolk housing projects are directly across the street, so keep an eye out for your safety! By the way, I never write reviews, ever! But I couldn't in good conscience let someone get a staph infection staying in this cesspool!

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Desaroop
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I read the reviews "Stay away" but being across the street from the Scope Center -- Location ruled. The hotel is under new management and having adjustment pains. There is no elevator from the parking are to the lobby--or rooms weird!!! The rooms are comfortable, quiet and typical of a city type hotel. Now to the reviews watch list-- ok our toilet did not flush and got clogged--maintenance was responsive but did not fix the problem. The toilet needed seal repair but again maintenance did the "quick fix" We asked to be moved, but they felt maintenance fixed the issue. The staff at the front desk empathic-but did not solve the problem. TV was old set -- fuzz with some channels. Wi-Fi connect moderate at best. The investment to boost still needs to be made. The faucet in the shower was backwards, -- hot is not typically the first move of the handle, but the shower head and pressure were good. Amenities of shampoo et all- minimal. At check in the desk staff should be brief at what is happening at the Scope (being next door) but the clerk had no clue to what was happening and also could not offer a restaurant suggestion. "I don't know the area well" However LOCATION - across from the Scope and 2 blocks from MacArthur shopping mall (nice mall). Chain restaurant options within walking distance-- free parking when booked reservation online-- however could negotiate I believe free parking (they have a huge parking lot) Room was clean and comfortable --price was the less expensive in the area. All about price. location and of course choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a higher level to view the area -- facing Scope Center the part of town is...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank hr1313

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay. We have started a program to upgrade many of the issues that you addressed including adding new LCD TV's to all of our rooms that will help address some of your issues.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Poor customer service, old fashioned room, very loud. The toilets do not work. Please do not waste your time or money.
Only one of four elevators worked. The only good thing about this hotel is the restaurant downstairs. Don't let the lobby fool you, it's a dump !

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mervyn D
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Plaza because of its convenient location across from the Scope. We won't be making that mistake again.

The condition of the hotel, combined with the lack of amenities and service, were horrible considering what they charged per night.

The front desk admitted that 90% of the people staying at the Plaza were gov't contracted workers and there were very few 'actual' guests. Now I see why.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We came down recently to visit a couple of friends. I can't lie, reading some of the earlier reviews of this hotel had me a little worried. I stayed here once when it was the Crowne Plaza and it was pretty good. I stayed here recently under the new name and it was pretty good as well. No, it is not a Marriott or anything but it is great for a weekend visit. The internet service was pretty bad but we didn't really need it we were simply testing it. TVs can be updated but that wasn't a big deal. Service was good and rooms were clean. I have no complaints.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

- Ideal location for purpose of my visit, the MEAC Basketball Tournament at The Scope!
-Very pleasant, helpful and informed staff from hotel operator, to front desk personnel to housekeepers!
-Director of Guest Satisfaction, Mr. Larry Sauger is extremely attentive to needs of guests, facility appearance and confidently promoted the hotel for future stays!
-Free parking because I booked on hotel's website!
-Convenient to restaurants, shopping and cultural attractions!
-Ideal for group functions of all sizes!
-Management is still working on making improvements! I plan to put this hotel on my "preferred list"!
-Cannot evaluate spa and breakfast.

Room Tip: Choices are "downtown side" or "community side." Make check-in easier, and speci...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends